Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR - Canobie, Clarks, Funtown - 9/1/2006
larrygator

9/4/2006 9:27:29 PM
A half day of work on Friday gives me enough time for the night special at Canobie.

Canobie Lake Park - I'm going to spill the beans and say it up front, this park was a disappointment even at $17. Food was subpar and clientele was rude.
Yankee Cannonball is my first ride and don't consider this worthy of my 45 minute wait. It is slow and not very forceful. Canobie Corkscrew was exactly as expected, nothing special. But the kiddie coaster, Dragon Coaster, was actually the most enjoyable coaster in the park. One of the reasons I traveled to New England was to get a lobster roll, but the seafood place Minuteman Clams is closed. WTF? I decide to get some nachos and they are average but the service was miserable. Yo people, I'm the only one on line, wait on me and stop talking to each other. I am forced to skip Rowdy Roosters because of the line, but if you can't snap them, why wait.
Skater is a pretty good flat ride.
PsychoDrome is a nice indoor scrambler, but the wait is long.
Caterpiller is one of the few remaining of it's kind anyway and the canopy doesn't smell musty. They run it on a long cycle too.
Pirate Ship is not too forceful
Mine of Lost Souls is slow loading but a better than average dark ride with pretty good animatronics, although I was puzzled by the Egyptian room.

I got a lemonade for the road and it was just average, but luckily not too pulpy.

About the clientele - nobody here had any sense of personal space: kids swinging on rails, people walking into you, kids running into you. I had more unwelcome touches from people than ever before.

I decide to drive 90 minutes up I-93 to be close to Clark's Trading Post for the next day. Two miles from my exit I get pulled over for speeding, but politeness and an understanding Trooper let me off with just a warning after checking out my license and registration.

My let me address, "Why Clark's Trading Post?" Well quite frankly I only had time for one park and family parks such as StoryLand, Six Gun, and Santa's Village don't appeal to me.

Clark's Trading Post - I arrive 30 minutes before opening which is a good thing since I lock my cars (and spare key) in the car. Luckily, Arnolds Auto Care which is right across the street is a AAA garage that offers lockout service. I get my keys back in time to walk through the railroad station entrance to purchase my $12 ticket.

There's not much at Clark's but I have time before the train rides and shows start to get some stuff out of the way.
Merlin's Mystical Tour is a very good haunted swing with a decent set-up by the tour guide. The room rotates at a perfect speed to make you feel like you are spinning upside down.
Tuttle Rustic House is a walkthrough tilt house corny/hokey pre-show by the tour guide. It felt like this tour guide was mailing it in at the end of the year and she was bored by her own jokes. However, the effects are very well done and I'm still amazed and confused how the stunts work in this attraction.
I still have time before the first train ride so I try the free climbing wall. At Old Man Climbing Tower my Type A personality makes me try the difficult path but since this is my first climbing wall ever I find the holds too small. I switch to the immediate path and get quite a forearm workout in reaching the buzzer at the top.
The White Mountain Central Railroad takes you over a covered bridge and into Wolfman's Territory. Throughout this scenic 25 minute ride the train is constantly harassed by Wolfman, a disgruntled mountain man trying the keep the riders away from his ore claim. He chases his train in a car reminiscent of a MadMax bad guy vehicle and threatens the passengers with a assortment of weapons. A very enjoyable excursion.
I rush to get a good seat at the Seyranyan Family Circus. The act is a father/mother and two daughters from Russ
Message updated 9/5/2006 1:21:23 PM by larrygator
mrceagle

9/4/2006 11:05:00 PM
I'm looking forward to reading it.
coaster05

9/5/2006 9:45:01 AM
Great TR. I agre about the food service at Canobie, mine was awful also. I did however get two very good rides on Yankee. I also found capacity to be horrible in that park.

I love your comment about the acrobat at Clark's that is priceless. I will have to try that place next time I am out in that area. Excalibur was exactly the way I felt also.
larrygator

9/5/2006 11:19:48 AM
I really wanted to good another ride on Yankee Cannonball, since riding a woodie only once can sometimes be a bad indication, but I would have had to skip PsychoDrome or Mine of Lost Souls to get a 2nd ride in.

At Clark's, she had to be over 21, she is too physically endowed for a teenage gymnast/acrobat. I tried googling her online, but alas, there are no recent pictures of the Seyranyan clan.
Message updated 9/5/2006 12:52:58 PM by larrygator
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/5/2006 11:50:28 AM
Larry... yeah... impure thoughts... oy, vey

... but anyhow, great TR - sorry to hear that Canobie didn't quite do it overall, but I am glad to hear that you were able, eventually, to enjoy a nice lobster roll sammich.
larrygator

9/5/2006 12:52:37 PM
adriahna - I'm sure you would have had impure thoughts listening to the Mangley Calliaphone
hrrytraver

9/5/2006 1:52:08 PM
lrry-
i appreciate the shoutout (and further de-vowelifcation of my username) in this TR regarding the beef taco, however the the culinary centerpiece of this epic is no doubt the quest and eventual attainment a holy lobster roll grail.

i am also very enthusiastic about your bit regarding the young acrobat, because i'm hoping between this and my coney TR that a wave of "tasteful" carnality will begin creeping into TRs.

i am saddened and confused to hear that the cannonball didn't do it for you. i've been hoping for the last few years that that coaster would be an ass-kicker when i finally get around to putting my butt on it. i hope you got a "bad day" ride on it.
BobFunland

9/5/2006 1:56:21 PM
Just as a note.. the age of consent in Russia is 16, as it is in New Hampshire, so I don't think you have to hope she's 21

edit - upon further research, the *age* is only 13 in Spain... yessss!

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 9/5/2006 1:57:12 PM by BobFunland
larrygator

9/5/2006 2:03:42 PM
I'd feel dirtier than after riding a kiddie coaster if I knew she was under 21. I have my scrupples, you know.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/5/2006 2:39:17 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
impure thoughts listening to the Mangley Calliaphone

awesome

--------------------
"Fabulous and beyond conceiving, ineffably beautiful, is this fiery scintillation."

- Maxim Gorky, 1907, on Coney Island
mrceagle

9/5/2006 9:36:00 PM
Great TR. Your actually very lucky that the Minuteman Clams was closed. the lobster roll at Canobie sucks. It's a hot dog roll with maybe 6-8 ounces of lobster meat in it. and that cost a rediculis $16.95. if it was open the Pulled port at the dancing bear is a better choice. but anyways you lucked out and got a much better deal at palace playland. But Sodexho needs to clean up there act o canobie has to drop them.

The capacity at Canobie has been worse this year then any other year I can remember. there attendance has been through the roof. partially do to SFNE's price increase. But hopefully things will be better next year after Frisbee is open and there is a replacement for the Matterhorn. I agree that the park needs to do something with the Cannonball. As much as i like the classic feel of skid brakes they need to switch the brake system out and get both rains operating. look on the bright side 45 minutes was a short wait Compared to the rest of the season. also the pirata badly need to be refurbed. it used to have power but over the last few years it's been getting worse and worse.

Sorry you didn't have a better time. this is not there best year.

Sounds like the rest of your trip was pretty good. Glad to see you got a chance to hit the parks
Quote:
Bob:
Just as a note.. the age of consent in Russia is 16, as it is in New Hampshire, so I don't think you have to hope she's 21

edit - upon further research, the *age* is only 13 in Spain... yessss!

it's scary that you looked this up. by the way it's still not Completely legal till 18. 16 to 18 is statutory rap and with the zero liability law attached to that. but it's legal at 14 if your married which makes no seance.
BobFunland

9/5/2006 9:57:06 PM
wow thanks for pointing that out (I had no idea, especially not being a young male!!!) and totally disregarding the joking nature of my post.

As a side note.. Italy is 14.
mrceagle

9/6/2006 3:22:53 PM
not the best person for picking up on Jocking. didn't think you were serious but posting info. mostly trying to clean things up. But ya that's Pretty said.
bumprnugit

9/6/2006 6:09:31 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
About the clientele - nobody here had any sense of personal space: kids swinging on rails, people walking into you, kids running into you. I had more unwelcome touches from people than ever before.

I think that is defined as "New England hospitality"
mrceagle

9/9/2006 4:48:58 PM
i have this problem all around the US. in parks, Zoos, and even Caverns. I agree that any adult that walk into you should have apologised. but kids don't often think about things like personal space even if there taught about it. but then I wasn't there so I can't fully comment on it.

The next time I go t the park If I run into the right people I will bring these problems up. especially the food and workers. I haven't liked Sedexho's operating procedures and quality for a while. its been getting better but it's still have a way to go.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics