Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Coney Island Advice
erinys

7/30/2006 6:57:45 PM
Please move this if it would be more appropriate in trip reports, but it's really an inquiry.

I am making my virgin trip to Coney Island during the day on Thursday Aug. 10 after spending Tues & Wed in the city. The rides seem to be expensive (it's NY, what isn't? Two days in the hotel is eating up 2% of my annual income). Other than bringing a lot of cash, what should we know in advance? Parking? Can we leave our modest bags in the car? Are there places we should look for besides Deno's & Astroland? Is the infamous Zipper still there? Please tell, tell, tell. I'm grateful for any guidance anyone can provide. Already visited the park & non-profit arts sites, but not sure what is particularly note-worthy.

Also torn about ordering the Ric Burns American Experience: Coney Island video. I think it may help my philistine hubby appreciate the experience, but it will leave less money for freak shows
hrrytraver

7/30/2006 8:34:31 PM
i assume you don't want to take the subway because you're driving home after coney? if you have a secure place to leave your car in manhattan, perhaps you should take the subway. for one thing, it's a great subway ride (mostly elevated high above brooklyn). another thing is if you leave NYC via the holland tunnel, there is no toll. however if you leave via brooklyn, via the verrazano bridge it costs a chunky 8 or 9 bucks. take the f train from various spots in manhattan all the way to stillwell ave, which is the southern most terminus of the f.

otherwise midday on a thursday will probably be okay for street parking. lots of metered parking, but keep the meter fed, cause they'll getcha and it's some pricey tickets.

from the city you can take the manhattan or brooklyn bridge and follow signs to the BQE, which turns into the belt parkway. there are signs on the belt parkway indicating the coney exits. but still, my taste is the subway. i hate circling around like a buzzard looking for parking and even more than that i HATE paying outrageous fees at lots.

besides the obvious must rides like wonder wheel and cyclone and zipper (still ripping it up btw)---------

if you can handle it, the breakdance, which is next to the cyclone, is the ultimate spin and puke in existence. it wouldn't surprise me if i learned that the operators are screened before getting hired in order to assure that only sociopathic, diabolical sick f**ks are behind the controls of that ride. i once rode it at night with the full loud music/disco light ambience, and i was put onto a different plane. it wasn't a higher plane of being, but probably a lower plane of being. sounds good, right?

i need to do the "spook-a-rama" at deno's. i've heard it's up there with the best ride through haunted homes around.

leave some time to order some sort of unhealthy foodstuff and chill on the boardwalk. watch as a menagerie of bizarre and fascinating humanity moves past you. it's among the best people watching in the usa, i'd say.

have fun, please think of me while on the cyclone. if your hub is a coaster neophyte, don't start in the back seat of the cyclone...seriously.

--------------------
there are approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000 ants alive right now. the combined bio-mass of ants on earth roughly equals the combined biomass of humans.
Message updated 7/31/2006 1:00:44 AM by hrrytraver
larrygator

7/30/2006 10:25:13 PM
For it's hokiness alone the freak show is worth the price.Coney Island Sideshow However, the full cast works only Fri-Sun with a reduced cast Wed and Thurs.

The Astroland Tilt-a-Whirl ride op still runs the manual hand brake and can really make your car spin a lot if you ask. The Pirate ship runs on a long cycle. The bumper cars hit really hard. Paying a la carte is expensive but at least you have the option of the POP wristband, FYI the POP wristband gets you only 4 rides on the Cyclone.

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
Message updated 7/30/2006 10:29:13 PM by larrygator
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/31/2006 12:52:39 AM
* Don't miss the Wonder Wheel. Swinging cars only, please.

* Be sure to do some people-watching. Only the funkiest specimens, myself included, are on regular display at Coney. The boardwalk is one of the best stages for this.

* If you can, check out the Coney Island Museum, above and around the corner from the Sideshow. They just got in a sweet Prior & Church Derby Racer horse... but that's just my thing.

* The candy shop down Surf Avenue from Nathan's makes a darned tasty caramel apple, sprinkled with coconut garnish.

* Don't miss out on the Eldorado bumper cars - an indoor, air-conditioned disco experience. Purty sweet. On Surf Avenue

* If you're going to swim, consider heading East to Brighton Beach. The water is cleaner, and the beach crowd is more relaxed - not so crowded. I love swimming in Coney and neighboring waters - call me crazy, but I swear it has healing properties.

* The Spook-a-Rama is not to be missed.

* Yes, the Zipper is still around. And kicking ass on a daily basis.

* If you go to Nathan's, be sure to try brown mustard, as a side note to dip your fried potatoes in. Of course ketchup is always an option, but once I went to mustard, I never looked back.
erinys

7/31/2006 7:42:04 AM
Oooooohhh! Getting excited! Next 36 hours is crazy here, but I'll be back once the craziness subsides. Keep'em coming! LOVING all the great advice!

As for subway, we're near Grand Central, but we REALLY want to avoid another $45 for a third day in the parking garage. The cheapest alternative parking we've found is $34/day, and it would probably save us time to head back home from Coney rather than going back up into the city first. Since we have about 14 hrs at home before we head out to a horror convention in Baltimore (yes, we are geeks), getting home earlier than later would be a good thing.

Darn it, time off is too fleeting!
Message updated 7/31/2006 7:43:04 AM by erinys
larrygator

7/31/2006 10:07:10 AM
I have never had trouble leaving my modest valuables in the car around Coney Island. It is a little seedy but unless you have a showy car I think you would be fine with your possessions in the trunk.
Timberman

7/31/2006 5:04:48 PM
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding parking on a Thursday afternoon, but as hrrytraver noted, keep the meter fed. I agree with everything that's been said. However, I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Top Spin. My best rides on that have rivaled my best rides on the Zipper.

For food, I recommend Nathan's or one of the Russian restaurants on the boardwalk.

Also, the bathrooms on the boardwalk are free.

By the way, I think the horror convention sounds like fun. If you see anyone from Zombie Squad, tell them I said hi and that we're good to go for Z day in the Upper Midwest.
Message updated 7/31/2006 5:08:06 PM by Timberman
erinys

8/2/2006 10:32:30 AM
I'm old and don't have enough cartilage left between my vertebrae for bumper cars.

To see if I have this straight, and consolidate the info for any future newbies who want it all: Astroland includes Cyclone, Break Dancer, Power Surge, Pirate Ship, killer Tilt-A-Whirl, and the notorious Top Spin of the 14 flips? Is Dante's Inferno there worth a ride? Flats are $2.50-$5.50 or $19.95 bracelet with a coupon and gives you 4 Cyclone & 2 Bumper Car rides (for those with cartilage), Cyclone is $6 with $4 reride.

Deno's Wonder Wheel Park includes Deno's Wonder Wheel & Spookarama, and tickets are $4-5, with a 5-pack for $20. There are also bumper cars there.

The Zipper is part of Coney Island Rides, which doesn't seem to have a web page or price listing anywhere. Is the B&B Carousel still under restoration? Where is Coney Island Rides in relation to everthing else?

Hubby Thor & I are meeting darkridrMD & partner at Coney. Astroland looks closer to Surf Ave then Deno's & we discussed meeting them by the Cyclone. Is this a good plan, or is there some easier, obvious place to meet? Because vague plans worked out SO well when we all tried to meet up with Danielle & George at SFGAdv

Thor liked non-inverting coasters, until he had a vagus nerve 'grey out' on Nitro. Now he likes El Toro. I think he'll be good on wood, but he'll push for the front seat. He hates the spinnies so bad he can barely ride a carousel. darkridr's partner will not ride the Wonder Wheel due to a fear of heights, but Cyclone will be fine. It will be an interesting dance of 'who can ride what.'

I think Thor & I may arrive before noon just to wander & soak it all up before we meet. Is that sensible? Thor also needs to find an appropriate t-shirt for "Horrorfind Weekend." I think a Freakshow shirt would be perfect - can we buy them there or is it an only through the Web store kind of thing? (Edit: I think I've just written a coasterwom post - I don't mean to but I'm hoping these are all legitimate questions that someone may have an answer to)

Timber, if I run into this Zombie Squad am I just supposed to say 'Timberman sends greetings and says all is good to go for Z day in the Upper Midwest'? I feel like I'm helping you get passed Checkpoint Charlie
Message updated 8/2/2006 11:01:11 AM by erinys
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/2/2006 11:10:48 AM
Some brief answers:

* You can easily meet up right in front of the Cyclone, on Surf Avenue - the ticket booth is a pretty visible spot.

* The B&B is still out of town for restoration.

* "Coney Island Rides" is pretty much a generic term for the independent rides that flank Deno's and Astroland - you won't be able to miss them. The Zipper is basically right near the Wonder Wheel, and is tall enough to be seen from pretty much anywhere. Coney Island's amusement zone is a pretty small area.

* I'm pretty sure that you can purchase the Sideshow tees right there in the lobby - if you don't see them, just ask. There's also a chance that they can be purchased at the Museum, which is right around the corner on Surf Avenue.

* Dante's Inferno isn't bad, but it's not the greatest, either... for my buck, I'd take the Spook-a-Rama over it, any day.

* You should DEFINITELY get to the Island early, to soak it all up - Coney Island is a very unique place with hugely kooky character. You either get it, or you don't - and from what I know of you, you'll likely be in the first category. Stop in the little boardwalk shops, have a look around at everything - there are hidden treasures all over the place. And, if you have any questions after your trip about certain older buildings, structures, what-not, drop me a line, and I'll probably be able to tell you something about what you've seen. The place is full of amazing, decrepit urban architecture - my kind of scene.

Have fun, and do let us know how it all went!
erinys

8/2/2006 11:42:51 AM
Thanks for answers! I am SO excited!!!

Being obsessive compulsive, I Google-Earthed it, and have a cut-out posted HERE. If there are any highlights to be pointed out, please do. The one labeled '1208 Surf Ave' should be the sideshow & museum.
hrrytraver

8/2/2006 11:46:19 AM
erin-
i am very excited for you. your first ride on cyclone will be a watershed moment in yours and thor's marriage.

please post some reading material for us after you return. i look forward to reading your thoughts.

additionally, upon landing in b-more, you and thor may feel free to drop into to the "traver autonomous zone", the 14 foot by 80 foot part of northern central baltimore which i've decided is no longer part of the united states of america. there you will find strong coffee and me. nerd conventions require coffee, i think.
erinys

8/2/2006 12:12:57 PM
How does one get in touch with el Presidente de la traver autonomous zone? Danielle has both my & darkridr's email addresses, and dark's cell number,all of which I'm sure she has full permission to divulge (off line, if you please). Thor was born in Madrid (although you wouldn't guess it) - I think he can handle strong coffee.
Message updated 8/2/2006 12:14:04 PM by erinys
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
8/2/2006 12:22:39 PM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
there you will find strong coffee and me.

Yeah, but too bad you won't find my kitchen linoleum... at least, as of yet. Traver can explain.

Traver, I'll go ahead and forward your email to erin, so as to spare you the bother...

--------------------
"Fabulous and beyond conceiving, ineffably beautiful, is this fiery scintillation."

- Maxim Gorky, 1907, on Coney Island
hrrytraver

8/2/2006 12:36:58 PM
Quote:
erinys said:
How does one get in touch with el Presidente de la traver autonomous zone?

it's great being the leader AND sole citzen. karl marx will appreciate my autonomous zone as the only existing example of a state where the will of the government exactly mirrors that of the citizenry. there will never be a revolt in the "TAZ", at least i hope not. what would that mean as far as my sanity is concerned?...

sure, grab my email from adriahna and drop me a line w/ your schedule. unfortunately i just remembered i will be attending a family reunion this weekend in westminster, md. why there and not at a beach or beautiful mountain lake i have no idea! rats! it seems the latter part of sunday may be the only time customs is open at the "TAZ". lemme know erin.
Message updated 8/2/2006 1:17:47 PM by hrrytraver
erinys

8/2/2006 3:00:58 PM
Lousy stinkin' job. If I'm not back at my desk by 3pm on Sunday, I will have no way to pay for this trip Sadly, I will not get to meet your coffee or hear about linoleum.

Thoughts of linoleum near NY make me think of "Se7en."
hrrytraver

8/2/2006 3:12:01 PM
erin, the coffee in my realm is as eternal as the earth, air and sea. as long as i reign there, my realm will have bitchin' coffee at all times.

some other time. have a great trip!
Timberman

8/2/2006 9:18:04 PM
Quote:
erinys said:
Timber, if I run into this Zombie Squad am I just supposed to say 'Timberman sends greetings and says all is good to go for Z day in the Upper Midwest'? I feel like I'm helping you get passed Checkpoint Charlie

That's a perfect thing to say. If they're there, you can't miss them. Look for the armor-plated Jeep Cherokee with the big "ZS" outside. Those guys don't mess around.

I'm really glad you're getting to Coney Island. It remains one of a kind, and it still offers the single best roller coaster experience to be had on planet earth.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics