Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Rye Playland Questions
Hercules

7/10/2006 6:37:06 PM
I'm going to be out of a job for the summer in a couple of weeks, so that is going to give me some time before school starts to hit up some parks around the area. I was going to do Quassy today, but it rained here and I didn't feel like driving up to Connecticut in the rain. So I think I'll end up hitting it up on my way up to Lake Compounce. I'm also going to do the Great Escape at some point within the next couple of weeks too. This brings me to Playland. I hadn't realized that Rye, NY was so close to my house (about an hour and change), and my girlfriend really wants to go back to a place that reminds her of her childhood, and this is the place she wants to go when she gets back from Denver. I just have a few questions about the place, if you don't mind me asking.

What is with the pricing? 35 dollars for a wristband that is only good for 6 hours? Is that right?

Next, is it possible to get through the major rides with that 6 hours of time and still have fun?

Are adults able to ride the Kiddie Coaster?
http://www.rcdb.com/ig232.htm?picture=1
I'm not a credit whore or anything, but that looks like a fun little wood.

Is the Derby Racer as good as they say? I have read the reviews on here and have seen it on TV, but are the ride ops really good and the ride as top notch as what I think it will be?

Any chance that we might be able to find something to eat? (This applies to those who know me)

What are the other flats that are a must?

And since I'm a dark ride wuss, how bad are they?

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/10/2006 7:34:27 PM
Okay.

First off, I'm not sure about pricing, as I didn't make it to the park last year when the changes went into effect. Sorry about that.

Second, six hours is PLENTY to do the whole park, and then some. It's a pretty small place, but it offers up a lot of fun.

Third, I don't think you can ride the kiddie coaster, although I surely do understand the desire. Don't hesitate to drop by and have a look, though - the vintage NAD trains are very, very cool.

Fourth, the Derby Racer KICKS TAIL. If you've never ridden one, do not pass it up. Very difficult to describe what the ride is like - just a great deal of fun, and that's an understatement.

Fifth - yer a vegetarian, right? There are the typical fast food theme park offerings - Burger King, Toxic Hell, pizza, etc... there might not be the best around for what you need, but, and I'm speaking as an almost complete vegetarian (no fish, no meat, nada), you'll find something.

Other must-ride flats:

* Whip
* Old Mill
* Carousel (but that's just me)
* Flying Witch (which I can't believe I haven't done yet, as it's supposedly a pretty cool dark ride)

See above regarding dark rides - as well, there's the Zombie Castle, which is pretty run-of-the-mill. You'll probably enjoy the Old Mill - it's more kiddy-oriented, but does have one section that's dark as all get out for a while. You may get wet on this ride.

As well, if you're interested, don't miss the Playland Museum, which is located outside of the park, along the boardwalk leading to the pool. Very cool, great pics, an original P&C Dragon coaster car, and one of the most beautiful Flying Scooter cars I've ever seen.

Have fun - it's a great little park!
larrygator

7/11/2006 12:03:05 AM
6 hours should be more than enough time. The wristband option is new this year and worth it because i think I spent about $25 for limited rides in 2004.

Derby Racer is definitely a kick butt ride. One of only two left. The third at Blackpool no longer races. The dark rides are above average. I stupidly skipped the Old Mill. The bumper cars are better then average but no Knoebels. I have heard that adults can't ride the kiddie coaster without kids.
Hercules

7/12/2006 4:15:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the information guys. I hope it will be a good time when we get up there.

I'm still trying to look into the place a little more to try and get a feel of the place. I'm kind of sad that I have neglected researching the place a lot over the past couple of years.

I'm really excited about the museum. I'm assuming cameras are allowed?
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/12/2006 6:24:11 PM
Oh, sure. You'll enjoy it - it's a totally free museum, and there's always the chance you'll run into one of the curators there, who tend to know a LOT about the park's history. Lots of fun.
quarter23

7/20/2006 12:12:44 PM
$35 for a 6 hr wristband?

Yep, welcome to Westchester! Yer gonna love the $7 hot dogs--er, or maybe you won't if you're looking for different food options.

Playland is a nice place to spend a few hours or an evening, but probably not an all-day visit. You'll have plenty of time to check out all the rides, walk along the boardwalk, and maybe hit the beach or something. Its a nice place, just not real big.
Cyclonic

7/20/2006 1:00:10 PM

And you haven't looked up my photo gallery:

http://www.cyclonic.smugmug.com/gallery/209290

Shame, shame.

Rye is expensive but a nice little park. You cannot ride the kiddie coaster, even with a kid, no adults allowed.

The Durby Racer is THAT good, so don't miss it, or the Whip for that matter, which is better then even Dorney's Whip.

Six hours is far more time then you need, so don't worry about it.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

The insensitivity rolls on...

"Why is our oil under their sand?"

Message updated 7/28/2006 8:49:16 AM by Cyclonic
Hercules

7/26/2006 9:37:04 PM
Thanks a whole lot for the tips guys. I had a very enjoyable few hours at the park. I will be sure to get my reviews up as quick as possible and to get a trip report up too. I might even have a couple of pics that adriahna might appreciate
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/26/2006 11:01:38 PM
Sweet!!! Glad you had a good time. Playland is a pretty neat little park.
larrygator

7/26/2006 11:24:34 PM
Herc - I saw your Whip review. I'm actually ashamed I never read anyone else's Whip review, especially adriahna and cyclonic. I did not realize it was that good. Oh well another missed ride for me to catch on another day.
Sephiroth7

7/31/2006 2:47:33 PM
Yea, I worked at Playland. Six hours is PLENTY! Check out Ye Old Mill, Dragon Coaster, SuperFlight, Playland Plunge, Derby Racer, The Whip, Log Flume, either of the Haunted Houses, Double Shot.

Kiddie Coaster you can't be over like 52" or something. I worked that coaster for a summer. Such a classic ride. MANUAL breaks, no computer in sight. In fact, we would have compititions who could stop the train closest to the "unlock" latch.
Hercules

7/31/2006 2:48:42 PM
Thanks, but already went there. Good advice for someone else though.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics