Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Grading Flat Rides
MovieCoast

7/4/2006 6:14:47 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but while I feel that carnival flats are a lot of fun, I am certainly not going to rate them in the same class as coasters. I don't feel that a Tilt-A-Whirl, Scrambler, Swing Ride, or Tea Cups should get any rating higher than a 5 unless it is exceptionally themed. I know have been criticized for doing this, but I really don't see the need to rate ordinary carnival rides that high.

Does anyone else agree?

--------------------
"Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

Coaster Count: 60
coaster05

7/4/2006 8:06:18 PM
NO I do not even come close to agreeing. Just like a coaster a lot of things can weigh into one being better than another. Falling Star at IB and Delirium at Kings Island have no theming but are easily better than 80% of the coasters I have ridden. Heck those are my FAVORITE rides at both parks.

Judge flats based on other flats, not on how they compare to coasters. If you are never going to give higher than a 5 why even bother.

Nothing personal since you are a pretty good member, but this is a horrible idea.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
7/4/2006 8:43:24 PM
I'm with coaster on this one. There are a handful of flats that fit into the extraordinary category for me, personally. The best example goes without saying... the Flying Scooter. As far as I'm concerned, a prime ride on this flat ranks way, way up there, well among the finest coaster experiences. It offers excitement, random drops, sways and snaps, and a unique sense of impending danger that is beyond comparison. Seriously, one of the finest rides out there - flat or otherwise.
erinys

7/4/2006 8:59:31 PM
It doesn't even have to be extraordinary for me. I can get as much of a thrill off a wild Zipper as I can from most coasters. If flats really only do a fraction of what coasters do for you, I guess that's what it is to you, but unless it is a particularly bad example of a ride I don't see the point of writing the review then. I will continue to stack Sea Dragons against Sea Dragons and other flats, not against Medusa. And a crazed Zipper runs neck and neck with Medusa for me anyway, even just sitting on parking lot asphalt.
larrygator

7/5/2006 12:10:19 AM
The best flats in my book deserve a 10. However, that does not mean that the best Tilt-a-Whirl gets a 10.

For the most part coasters give me the best thrills on a consistent basis, however, there are plenty of flats I'd prefer to ride at times.

I'll also use Knoebels as an Example. Phoenix is my #1 coaster but when I go to Knoebels I might ride Phoenix 6-7 times but I might ride the Flyers 12-15 times (if my body holds out).
Timberman

7/5/2006 12:55:47 AM
With coasters, I try to be somewhat methodical, but with other types of rides, I simply rate them by the strength of the reaction they provoke in me. If a ride really moves me, it's eligible for a 10, no matter what it is. That said, I do tend to think of flats and dark rides as a side dish, rather than a main course. Still, what would Thanksgiving dinner be without the mashed potatoes and stuffing?
Message updated 7/7/2006 12:59:38 AM by Timberman
BobFunland

7/5/2006 1:03:54 AM
^ I totally agree. (with Larry)

I really like Scramblers, but my favorite may pull an 8. However, several flats are 10-worthy to me (certain bumper cars and flyers up in the northeast...)

This goes with coasters too.. my favorite suspended coaster only gets an 8 from me.

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 7/5/2006 1:04:11 AM by BobFunland
mrceagle

7/5/2006 1:15:03 PM
I have to go with Coaster5 to Bob. Every ride should be waitded by there own marit. Now I'm not sayign you go giving out 10
s liek crazy. some of these menbers will say that's my got. but if the flat is run well gives a great ride. themed or not it should be raited higher then 5 or average at most
MovieCoast

7/6/2006 9:39:48 AM
Well, that is certainly a lot to think about, and I see all of your points now. I guess it's not fair that I laugh my head off on some of these, and they only get 5s. I'm gonna go start updating some of my reviews. Thanks you guys!
mrceagle

7/6/2006 7:56:42 PM
I'm looking forwards to reading the revews and seeign the changes. feel free to post a few of them.
Horizons12

7/7/2006 11:12:32 PM
I grade flats on their own scale in some respects. There are many variables that I take into effect like: How well it is maintained, how well it is run, and length of ride. Then I'll consider, of course, how much I personally liked it.

Big park operated flatrides usually fall very short of their traveling counterparts for some reason so they may get a lower rating.

As far as some flats being better than coasters: flatrides such as the Astroland Breakdance or the Space Roller ARE in my opinion. If I had to choose between the Astroland Breakdance or Medusa at SFGAdv, I would rather have a ride on the Breakdance. It's not that Medusa is bad, it's just that the Astroland BD is incredibly insane!

I have yet to set foot on their "14 flips in a row" Top Spin...
Timberman

7/8/2006 1:27:41 AM
I can personally attest that the Astroland Top Spin beats 90% of the coasters I've been on for sheer, chaotic, heart-stopping lunacy. I love that ride; whenever I get near enough to contemplate riding it, I feel like I'm about 8 years old. It doesn't quite deliver the same sensation of impending death as the Zipper a few blocks away, but on a good ride (and most of them are), it is at least as disorienting.
Message updated 7/8/2006 1:28:44 AM by Timberman
Cyclonic

7/8/2006 1:29:55 PM
That Top Spin is utterly insane:

Video

I am with most others, I rate rides on a different scale depending on the type of ride it is. The coaster is not always king of the park, and I can think of several parks where a flat or a dark ride was far better then the coaster at the park.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

The insensitivity rolls on...

Hercules

7/8/2006 4:21:35 PM
Simply put for me: Coasters and flats are rated differently.
RCGenius

7/8/2006 9:24:56 PM
Exactly. There are some flats out there though that can compete with some coasters, but they should be rated differently based on their design overall. Think about it. Why would we compare something like a scramble towards a hyper? That's obviously no comparison to make at all. There should be a huge variety of flats being graded as their own type of ride while coasters should just be compared all together (with the exception of kiddie coasters).
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics