Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Is airtime overated?
viking78

6/21/2006 9:03:22 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while now. Coaster enthusiasts have been consumed by airtime. It seems to be the main thing we all look for on rides. Why? I have NEVER been an airtime junkie. I find it to be grossly overated. I am much more into steep drops and the feeling of losing your stomach or blinding speed (combine them both and I'm a happy man) I have been to dozens of thrill parks all over this country and I've ridden most of the big name coasters out there. The airtime thing completely escapes me. While I do enjoy me some airtime it is a secondary thrill for me. Most of you will probably disagree by reading all of your airtime discussions but what do you think?
Message updated 6/21/2006 9:47:34 AM by viking78
Scott

6/21/2006 11:14:33 AM
I like a little bit of everything. Airtime, stomach turning drops, ultra intense rides etc. Just look at my top 10.
metal420

6/21/2006 7:55:40 PM
Aren't the stomache turning drops also the drops you get a lot of airtime on?

Anyway, I'm an airtime junkie and I don't think its overrated, but it all comes to personal preference.
Hercules

6/21/2006 9:35:51 PM
Quote:
metal420 said:

That is perhaps one of the most valid questions that I have heard on here in a long time.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

Message updated 6/22/2006 12:13:36 PM by Hercules
larrygator

6/21/2006 10:33:55 PM
In my opinion, airtime is not overrated. That is what makes a coaster great.
viking78

6/22/2006 12:07:44 AM
Quote:
Hercules said:
Quote:
metal420 said:
Quote:

That is perhaps one of the most valid questions that I have heard on here in a long time.

Not really. For example, Appolos Chariot has those last few drops that delivers good airtime but no stomach turning whatsoever. Airtime is more about weightlessness, no?

--------------------
Another of the many reasons to love the 80's- Suspended Coasters
Danny

6/22/2006 1:24:45 AM
No, I don't think that airtime is overrated, what kind of a stupid question is that? This is a coaster site, what do you expect us to say? If you think it's overrated, you obviously haven't experienced real airtime.
Timberman

6/22/2006 3:01:51 AM
I love airtime, but for me, overall intensity is still the hallmark of a great roller coaster. Son of Beast used to deliver serious thrills with virtually no airtime, and many would say the same of the Beast itself. The old flying turns coasters were known for their intensity but were incapable of airtime. I don't think it's overrated, but if airtime were all that thrill rides were about, then the two most popular rides on this site would be Cyclops and Jack Rabbit, followed by various Falling Stars and Pirate Ships (all of which are deservedly beloved).
viking78

6/22/2006 8:34:01 AM
Quote:
Danny said:
No, I don't think that airtime is overrated, what kind of a stupid question is that? This is a coaster site, what do you expect us to say? If you think it's overrated, you obviously haven't experienced real airtime.

So by this comment and rationale one would have to conclude a coaster offers NOTHING but airtime. And no it's not a stupid question since IMO airtime IS overated. Yes I have experienced airtime considering I've ridden most every major coaster from the east to west coast.
hrrytraver

6/22/2006 9:47:35 AM
i think "stomach loss" occurs simply when g-force changes, negative or positive. i lose my stomach on launches, and there is no vertical movement whatever on those, just high positive Gs pushing the body against the seat.

i admit that i do associate "stomach turning" with huge drops. however on the MF drop, for example, the butterflies in my stomach were having a hyperactive wingflapping party for sure, but i also recall my tookus hovering as far above the chair as the restraints would allow. if you feel it in your stomach, chances are your arse has taken flight.

we can get a physicist to verify all this of course, but i feel confident as a non-scientist saying that i think you're selling "airtime" a little short. maybe you just don't care for coasters that seem like hill after hill, which is a matter of taste.

i think variety is probably the key to a great coaster. the more strange sensations your body has to sustain, the more likely your nervous system will flood with adrenaline, thus giving you a "sense" of awe towards the ride. i remember timberman's review of shivering timbers, in which he described it as "monotone". what i got from that review was that "airtime" delivered without variation may not be enough for some people.

i DO think that in terms of roller coaster soup, airtime is the onions, providing much of the flavor. i want to taste carrots and mushrooms also though.

--------------------
"I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty." jesse helms 1999
Message updated 6/22/2006 9:49:26 AM by hrrytraver
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/22/2006 12:13:12 PM
Dunno how to say it. Airtime enthusiasm, for me, depends upon a factor or two.

MY kind of airtime has a lot to do with the erratic nature of older wooden coasters that offer it - the Phoenix, of course, is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Not only does it give airtime, but while you're up and off of the seat, there are numerous little additional jerks, thanks to the varietals present in older, wooden coaster tracks that shake things up even further. Maybe this is what hrry was speaking of above - "variation". This is often clearly visible even from the sidelines of the outside observer.

Smooth airtime, while certainly appealing to many folks, just doesn't give me the same sort of helter skelter thrill. It's fun, all right, but doesn't offer that same feeling of "this thing is getting a little loopy, now". Maybe it feels, to me, too much like "programmed chaos" - like it was designed to lift you from your seat, but done in too scientific a manner. I don't know how else to describe it, and am starting to feel like a full-fledged geekazoid...
Timberman

6/22/2006 1:49:32 PM
Quote:
adriahna said:
Dunno how to say it. Airtime enthusiasm, for me, depends upon a factor or two.

MY kind of airtime has a lot to do with the erratic nature of older wooden coasters that offer it - the Phoenix, of course, is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Not only does it give airtime, but while you're up and off of the seat, there are numerous little additional jerks, thanks to the varietals present in older, wooden coaster tracks that shake things up even further. Maybe this is what hrry was speaking of above - "variation". This is often clearly visible even from the sidelines of the outside observer.

Smooth airtime, while certainly appealing to many folks, just doesn't give me the same sort of helter skelter thrill. It's fun, all right, but doesn't offer that same feeling of "this thing is getting a little loopy, now". Maybe it feels, to me, too much like "programmed chaos" - like it was designed to lift you from your seat, but done in too scientific a manner. I don't know how else to describe it, and am starting to feel like a full-fledged geekazoid...

Actually, I think that's very well put and insightful. Sometimes airtime does seem somehow over-engineered. B&M airtime, such as it is, often strikes me this way. Over-produced airtime is better than no airtime, but it's not that riding-your-mountain-bike-down-a-steep-single-track-and-getting-launched-skyward-by-an-unseen-tree-root nervous system wakeup call to which hrrytraver refers. It's more like the okay-time-for-the-compulsory-camelbacks feeling. I like camelbacks as much as the next guy, but they don't make you go, "Whoa, what the hell was that?"

Message updated 6/22/2006 1:54:43 PM by Timberman
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/22/2006 1:56:21 PM
EXACTLY. Mountain biking is a great reference - you never know where that random root, or in this case random loose bolt or irregular trackage bond, will show up.
RCGenius

6/22/2006 8:27:00 PM
Personally, I don't really think that airtime's that overrated because many coaster lovers have this sort of thang with flying out of their seats & it makes the whole out of control experience more appropriate. I can see where you're coming from though with your opinion, but personally, a great coaster wouldn't be standing without a decent amount of airtime. Think of rides a la Apollo's Chariot, Raging Bull, Nitro, Magnum XL-200, Phantom's Revenge, etc. There are also some steel loopers with some decent airtime like Hydra: the Revenge, Talon: Grip of Fear, Raptor, Dueling Dragons: Fire, & Kumba. There are other thangs that contributes to a great coaster like a nice, long layout, sheer intensity, good amt. of speed, change in a lot of G forces, & periods of stomach churning & weightlessness. That's what makes a perfect coaster to me. Inversions are nothing but a gimmick.
viking78

6/23/2006 9:00:47 AM
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy airtime. I just don't think it is the greatest element to enjoying a roller coaster. There are many coaster enthusiasts that feel it's the only thing that matters. I just don't get that.
Chet

6/23/2006 11:19:05 AM
I think that if the ride is crappy in all other aspects but has good airtime, it's not that good of a coaster... also, if the ride is great in all other aspects except airtime, it's a good roller coaster, but it needs airtime to be an excellent one.
sfo1

6/25/2006 5:05:34 PM
Quote:
GAZZA said:
I really love airtime but i hate the way the OTSR seem to block it.

There's an intelligent response, gazza!

Well, depends. B&M's seem to to a fine job of providing roomy spacing inside their restraints. But some do restrict, such as restraints on an Arrow Classic.

What annoys me more is G trains on an excellently designed CCI creation.
coaster05

6/25/2006 9:36:26 PM
The love of airtime is a personal preference therefore it cannot be overrated. If you love airtime then that is what you want and if you don't care then you don't rate it very high making it impossible to be overrated.

I love it, but I only consider about 10-15 coasters in 4 countries to really deliver good airtime throughout the ride.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics