Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Early El Toro Impressions
Timberman

6/12/2006 12:53:48 AM
I don't know the people who wrote this personally, and I can't vouch for their depth of experience or expertise, but this just came over the ACE wire, in case anybody is interested. I'm a little concerned that nothing was said about airtime, but I'm glad to know that at least it's running.

Sunday, June 11

Big News today from Great Adventure!
Around 3:00, my wife and her cousin and I noticed El Toro was running--with real people on it!
So we headed over, and much to our surprise, it was open!
There was a 2 hour wait (only running one train--of 36 people each whoo-hoo!) and some slowdowns.
But as I went to ask the Flash Pass line kid if the Flash Pass was working for El Toro, he checked it and let us on!
So we had a 50 minute wait to get on!
And it was unbelievable!!!! Worth every second of waiting!
(by the way, Flash Pass was worth the money....we didn't wait for anything all day!)

El Toro starts out with a zippy ride up, it seemed faster than Millennium Force going up!
And that first drop--wow!
Right into the awesome second hill and photo, then non stop ups and downs, a sweet overbanked turn, and some awesome side to side action towards the end. No wonder the ride ops had us in there tighter than a straight jacket!
And smooth? Heck, it was as smooth as Nitro!
We can't recommend El Toro highly enough, and can't wait to get back to GAdv in two weeks!
Whoo-hoo!

[Same disclaimer, but this makes it sound a lot more interesting]:

Well the ride had a soft opening today. And I will just get to the
point. This ride seriously ROCKS! An absolutely mindblowing display of
airtime histronics. When I first heard the first Intamin pre-fab woody
was coming to the US, I immediately made room on my top 10 list. After
Balder, which blew me away 2 years ago, I was very happy at Six Flags
choice for a Kinda Krap follow up. And I can proudly say my excitement
was justified. El Toro was WELL worth the wait.

The ride features a lift hill that's so fast, you'll barely have time
to adjust yourself before your pushed over into the turnaround,
followed by the best first drop on any coaster, period. The ride flies
over all it's hills with ferosity that literally rips you from your
seat, and only after the turnaround are you able to even grasp what is
happening. El Toro is the very definition of controlled chaos. I got in
3 rides before the line became to long to wait. But that's was all I
needed to proclaim El Toro my shiny new #1 wooden coaster, yes even
over Voyage.

Voyage is an out of control monster which throws you every which way,
and spits you out. And although I'm sure this will become the debate of
the summer, El Toro blows Voyage away in terms of pure ejector air, and
to top it off, it's EXTREMELY re-ridable. YMMV.

One word of warning. Those people who get easily irritated by the
policy of not being able to touch your lapbars (ride ops do it for
you), you might want to avoid this one. Six Flags isn't taking chances
with this one, and once you ride it, you'll understand.

Terrific ride!

Message updated 6/12/2006 1:01:48 AM by Timberman
Hercules

6/12/2006 7:38:25 AM
I've heard many great things from the short list of people who got to ride it yesterday. I hear the airtime is unbelieveable and rivals that of Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE. And there is one pop of air while crossing over into the infield of Rolling Thunder that I have heard is the best airtime people have ever felt, and some of these people have ridden over 300 coasters (there are a bunch that are no where near as experienced, but a person knows a good ride no matter what in my opinion).
hrrytraver

6/12/2006 8:59:43 AM
OK-
so mid-atlantic TPC dudes/dudettes, when are you going? i'm ready to get in my car and hike up to jackson. i'm mentally preparing myself to be in a six flags park.

cyclonic? hercules? larry's in england.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/12/2006 11:21:37 AM
I admit to pulling the tightwad routine - hoping to win some tickets in a raffle again this August. One of the greyhound events we sell at offered a pair (generously donated by GAdv) in their raffle last summer, and I won 'em. My secret? The event was in Lancaster, PA, and nobody was interested in hiking it out to NJ. 'Cept me. So, although I don't want to shell out some $75 to park and ride, if those tickets are in the raffle again, chances are decent that I'll make the trip.
BobFunland

6/12/2006 11:42:48 AM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
OK-
so mid-atlantic TPC dudes/dudettes, when are you going? i'm ready to get in my car and hike up to jackson. i'm mentally preparing myself to be in a six flags park.

cyclonic? hercules? larry's in england.

Good old BobFun is headed up July 4.

Still deciding if its best to fly into Philly or Newark...

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 6/12/2006 12:05:23 PM by BobFunland
Hercules

6/12/2006 12:14:49 PM
Cyclonic and I will be riding it during morning ERT at Coaster Celebration this upcoming Saturday. And I'll probably head there once before July 4 and I'll be there on July 4 with B. Fun.

...come to think of it, Cyco might be at Media Day as I type this.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

Message updated 6/12/2006 12:16:49 PM by Hercules
hrrytraver

6/12/2006 12:23:24 PM
i imagine it being either dead or crazy busy on july 4. has anyone gone on this holiday previously?
Hercules

6/12/2006 12:30:59 PM
I'm actually going to say moderatly busy. I don't think it will be really really crowded. Although, if they are having fireworks, then I would expect it to be pretty crazy. All I know is that they have Lonestar in concert that night. I'll have to ask around to get a good judgement.

I just called a friend and he said it is one of the busiest days of the season, so that kind of sucks. Just have to get there early and hope for the best.
Message updated 6/12/2006 12:57:14 PM by Hercules
Chet

6/12/2006 1:21:59 PM
Wow, goes to show just how long I've been out of it. I didn't even know SFGAdv had a new coaster!

But now that I know, I'm going there. There's nothing that's stopping me ...
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/12/2006 1:28:49 PM
Sheesh, Chet - where have you been??? I saw this coaster under construction, and it looks to be a beeee-yute. I imagine it will give one hell of a ride.
BobFunland

6/12/2006 5:13:41 PM
OK.. I need a little help.

First - I'd need transportation from somebody. Secondly, I could fly in Monday evening, arriving in Philly around 7:30, and I'd really like to do Clementon, which is open till 10 that night. Is this possible, and would anyone be interested in helping me with this endeavor? Trust me, I'd be grateful for it. If no one is up for that, I doulc just fly in Tuesday morn. That would leave Tuesday for Great Adventure, which, my experience with the 4th is that its busy but not horrible. I'd probably pay for a q-bot for whoever was willing to help me out.

Just let me know here or email me at jophish17 at comcast.net

I just need to know quickly so I can book before prices jack.
Message updated 6/12/2006 5:13:58 PM by BobFunland
Timberman

6/12/2006 8:06:29 PM
J2, El Toro, you people are killing me. I expect full, detailed reports from one and all.

By the way, the NJ Turnpike + Independence Day = parking lot. Leave early and make sure your coolant levels are topped off.
RCGenius

6/12/2006 8:18:13 PM
Hopefully, I'll be able to go to SFGAD by the end of this month or sometime next month because I think that my family's going to surprise me with a trip there. The reason why I say this is because tomorrow's my 17th birthday & we usually do at least one new amusment park a year sometime around my birthday. If I'm right, I'll be completely hyped up because I'll be riding Nitro, Kingda Ka, El Toro, Medusa, Superman: Ultimate Flight, Batman: the Ride, Great American Scream Machine, & many more. I've been dying to go to SFGAD since Superman: Ultimate Flight's opening year back in 2003 & I'd really appreciate it so much.
Hercules

6/13/2006 12:12:39 AM
Joe - Email me with your plans and stuff and let me know what you are thinking of doing. I'll have to figure something out in terms of work and stuff, and if I can get around all of that I would be able to drive you around and maybe even give you a place to stay if you need one... but like I said, I have to work around a few things, but I'll see if it could be a go or not. Give me a day or two to figure things out and I'll let you know... just email me.
Cyclonic

6/13/2006 10:47:56 AM
Well, I guess i'll add my review here as well:

El Toro brings Six Flags Great Adventure something it has sorely needed, a fanominal wooden coaster. I don't really rank my coasters, but if I did, this one would be up there pretty high.

The fun starts right on the lift hill, which is considerably faster then any other lift out there. You fly up it and around the turn around, and then down the first drop, and what a drop it is.

I don't really know how to best describe the first drop, it leaves you speakless. You are flunf from your seat and don't land back into it until you reach the bottom. As you bottom out you plung into the woodwork, with head choppers that are sure to make you put your hands down.

The next two hills are simply amazing, some of the best airtime hills on any coaster, anywhere. At the turn around you get thrown into a steep banked turn and dive down and around to the other side of the outbound track.

Next is one of the weak spots on the coaster, a few speed humps that give up some airtime, but not much, before a long left turn that leads to the twister section, with a great head chopper right in the middle of the turn.

Next comes the surprise element, the one that will WOW everyone that rides because it is hidden and unexpected. After crossing over Rolling Thunder, you dive into the twister section on this steep, abrupt hill that tosses you from your seat and then quickly flies through a right, left, right turn sequnce that is lightning fast and stunningly close to the ground.

However, this is followed up by the weakest part of the ride, two little bunny hills that the train almost meanders over, giving little airtime. To the coaster's credit, as the day wears on this section does speed up, but never really lives up to what the rest of the ride is.

And the rest of the ride is fantastic. Some people will not like how glass smooth it is, it feels like a steel coaster, but the general public reaction has been fantastic, and those are the opinions that really matter.

Externally, I love the ride's location, you get great views of it, yet at the same time part of it is hidden and a surprise to riders. I love how the ride seems to wrap around the new Plaza Del Carnival section.

The trains are reletively comfortable, I think mostly because of the smooth ride, since there is little padding, and what there is of it is the harder foam. They do staple you in, and larger people will not be able to ride as the sensors on the train are very finiky. Operations were a little slow, but I think they will pick up are they get procedures down.

Overall, El Toro is a must ride, it is simply awesome and unlike any coaster out there.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/13/2006 10:51:25 AM
Sweet - thanks for the great description, Cyclo. This is promising, to say the least...
Hercules

6/13/2006 2:09:06 PM
Hey Nathan, was that you who yelled "Forget Holiday World" while you were rolling back into the station?
erinys

6/13/2006 7:53:59 PM
Folks,
are you all carrying notepads or voice activated tape recorders on the trains? I'm still like 'Uh, wow. Yeah, there were some big hills and my #%! came out of the seat and then twisty curves. . . I mean, it was just, well, like, wow. . . .' I really appreciate everyone's ability to share detailed descriptions and perceptions of what to me is an experience that doesn't translate easily into words. Thanks to y'all I was outta here on 30 minutes notice to make the 2 hr drive to gain that 'wow.' & the silly little grin that won't leave my face.
Message updated 6/13/2006 8:12:47 PM by erinys
hrrytraver

6/13/2006 8:21:30 PM
^we're what are known as dorks, erin. dorks needs details, lots of 'em. so fork'm over!
erinys

6/13/2006 9:23:57 PM
Here I thought it was 'geeks.' & that I had it down just by knowing stats.

Ok. We got a Flashpass for the first time ever. Kind Brandon in the office programmed it for ET for 10 minutes after we picked it up. The line was heavily regulated, only 50 or so let into the station at a time. Devon in the station assigned people to lines, but made some adjustments on request. We got the middle. Still just one train running. Not enough blue shirts - each seat has to have the restraints placed individually. Inevitably someone's restraint sends an error message and has to be rechecked and probably pushed in harder. ET cannot be wood - it's steel painted to look like wood (they showed how to do that on the Christopher Lowell show). The first hill felt absolutely vertical with my rear full out of the seat, but didn't feel like 188 feet down. The second hill had just as much air but less vertical, the third nearly but not quite as much. There were some hard banked swoops and swopes, then another hill during which a foot must have emerged from the seat and kicked me in the rear out of the seat. Head choppers that for someone 5'3" aren't that freaky (although maybe my arms went down halfway). Quite a few more serious banks, then home.

36 minute wait on Flashpass til the next ride. Next ride was 2nd to the back, Devon still wouldn't let us go all the way back, about the same ride overall. The first time I was scared & had them jam the lap bar into me. This time, I just let them place it. So I was the one who set the alarms off. Previously it had been guys who looked about 6'3" and 240 lbs but I think initially the blue shirts didn't want to risk inappropriate contact with a woman (who's not skinny but nowhere near 240). So once again they jammed the lap bar in.

3rd ride was originally supposed to be a 1 hour wait on Flashpass, but the time kept switching to later & later, maybe 1:30 total. Medusa & Nitro were walk-ons, so we got in 2 of the former and 3 of the latter. Medusa, my beloved, my heroine (after all, the Erinys were not that different from Gorgons and occasionally they were referenced interchangeable), my favorite coaster, was a little disappointing after ET. Devon was gone, we headed to the back. And it BROKE.

The train didn't make it back into the station. At first there was talk of a 'mis-brake'(?), that the train was going too fast and for safety was auto-stopped by the system outside of the station. During the delay, the dispatcher was quizzing the crowd on stats. Of course you know who knows the stats. Last question was 'Who designed El Toro?' Best I could come up with was 'Intamin.' Dispatcher responded 'This is the guy who designed El Toro' and pointed to the old guy next to him. Anyone know who that would have been? After our last ride, we ended up having a short exchange during which I said it was great, he asked if I liked it, I gushed that I loved it. But in the station the old guy had to run off in a hurry. Lots of maintenance guys showed up and started climbing all the hills. It didn't take long to get the train into the station, but they wouldn't release the restraints. Eventually they seemed to conclude no one on the train had thrown anything dangerous off to cause the problem, and let them go. More guys climbing on the hills, ending in a group of about 6 on a hill behind the side of the station you load on. We had a pretty good view of a number of guys bending and kneeling down into the track area, eventually leaving just one there who continued to do something down low. Other guys keep walking the hills. It was getting close to closing time. The dispatcher had been saying for awhile they had no idea how long it would take to fix the technical difficulties and anyone who wanted to leave should. They let the remaining Flashpassers into the station and sent everyone else who'd been waiting in line away. I still don't know what the problem was, but about an hour a
Message updated 6/13/2006 9:43:04 PM by erinys
BobFunland

6/13/2006 10:01:45 PM
Wow, two awesome reviews - I am pumped!!

As for the old man, I think Werner Stengel is responsible for designing the ride (Pic 1, Pic 2)
hrrytraver

6/13/2006 10:38:00 PM
cool, a stengel spotting. i can't say that i desire very many autographs, but i think i'd enjoy one from herr stengel. i would have also tried to hug him. the thought of hugging germans is amusing to me. they aren't huggy types, generally speaking.
erinys

6/13/2006 11:01:20 PM
Found another pic:
http://www.coasterplace.nl/engindex.php?pagina=engspecial&id=39
That would be the guy. I joked about an autograph, but wasn't persistent.

And German women are very huggable, so perhaps German men would surprise you.
Message updated 6/13/2006 11:36:17 PM by erinys
Cyclonic

6/13/2006 11:46:44 PM
Quote:
Hercules said:
Hey Nathan, was that you who yelled "Forget Holiday World" while you were rolling back into the station?

NO, no, no, that was the kid next to me, though I was thinking it

Erin, I was lucky and got about 25 rides on the coaster, that is how I remember it so well. Believe me, if it were just one ride, I would be dazed and confused as well.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Annoy a liberal, work hard and be happy.

Timberman

6/14/2006 12:08:49 PM
Thanks for the great reviews, Cyclonic and erinys. I've read that one of the reasons this coaster is so smooth is that it has urethane wheels. I admit that I was an early skeptic, but now I'm definitely intrigued. The HAL-like computer that tells the ride ops how much stapling is required sounds like a bummer, but no one seems to be complaining about the lack of air. Very interesting, indeed.
erinys

6/14/2006 12:35:58 PM
Forgot something - in the back seat getting thrown out of it, the forces were enough to lift my woven cotten shirt 2/3rds of the way up my back so it was bunched under my arms. Coming back into the station it dropped 1/3 on its own, but readjustment was necessary. Something tight-fitting or clingy might be more comfortable.
Message updated 6/14/2006 12:39:53 PM by erinys
Hercules

6/14/2006 1:02:03 PM
Wow, what a great thread. Not only are we getting good things about the ride but we are getting fashion tips for it too!
erinys

6/14/2006 1:29:09 PM
That was a modesty tip. Fine, ignore me, flash us all that happy trail of fur that starts high and travels down below your belt
Hercules

6/14/2006 5:22:34 PM
Now that was just uncalled for!
Cyclonic

6/15/2006 12:02:39 AM
But funny
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics