Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Ratings Adjustments
Timberman

5/28/2006 6:08:26 PM
Just in case anybody happens to notice, I adjusted the ratings on some of reviews downward. I'm not trying to dis anybody or their favorite rides, nor have my opinions of these rides changed for the most part. However, as I get more coasters under my belt, I feel a need to put some distance between the true classics, those that are currently leading the way into the future, and the rest of the pack of good, solid, rides and personal favorites.

For me, 10s will now be very rare. They will have to exhibit an extraordinary combination of design, layout, ride quality (meaning how well the train seems to negotiate the track), and overall ride experience. A historic or influential place in coaster history will also be counted as a positive. Of the coasters I've reviewed, Cyclone, Phantom's Revenge, Voyage, and Hades are my current tens. I also gave a 10 to the Coney Island Zipper because it scared the living crap out of me, and because, for me, it perfectly captures the essence of Coney Island. I've ridden other rides that might qualify as 10s but that aren't currently fresh enough in my mind to do them justice with a review (e.g. Pheonix).

Nines will be given to those rides that excel, but don't quite qualify as sublime. A good example is Avalanche, which delivers an amazing ride experience, but doesn't have the layout to make it a legend.

Some of personal favorites have been given eights, which comprise those coasters which display either overall excellence but have realistically been surpassed (e.g., Magnum XL-200) or which do one thing better than anything else but fall short in terms of overall experience (e.g., Cyclops). Finally, I also use this category to reward meritorious contributions to the coaster world that still somehow failed to connect with me on a personal level (e.g., Shivering Timbers) but whose quality is undeniable. These are all coasters that I would make a trip to ride.

Sevens are those rides which have elements of greatness but aren't performing up to their potential because of neglect or "modernization" (Beast); rides that I find overhyped but still great fun (Lightening Racer); quirky little coasters that somehow manage to rise above their humble dimentions or circumstances (Wildcat at CP); or those to which I have sentimental attachments but realize are now dated (GASM at Great Adventure).

Sixes will be rides who should have been great but weren't (SOB in its current sorry shape) or more pedestrian coasters that go just a little further than others in their category to make our lives fun (Looping Coaster at Seaside Heights; Corkscrew at CP).

Finally, fives are the rides I will ride because they are there and because I'm obsessive-compulsive about these things, but, like the nutrient Pantothenic Acid, just kind of maintain a needed baseline without really elevating us into some place special.

So far, I've never given anything below a five, because, like Will Rogers, I've never met a roller coaster I didn't like in some way. Anything that gets below a five would have to have made my day worse, not better, and that's just never happened to me on a roller coaster.

As ever, your mileage may vary, and I will try to justify whatever ratings I give to the best of my ability, even if that occasionally means breaking ranks with you, my learned peers. I trust your impressions, opinions, and penetrating insights will continue to keep me honest and in awe of our amazing little corner of the leisure universe.

Message updated 6/2/2006 5:33:57 PM by Timberman
RCGenius

6/1/2006 8:02:44 PM
That was decent Timberman. I really respect how you're trying to change your ways of how to be rating rides. I'm going to try to do the same thang so that I can be a better coaster critic & really break down the ride's positive & negative points.
Scott

6/1/2006 11:05:01 PM
Thanks for bringing this up timberman. A 10 is not something every coaster deserves. Keep up the good work.
Message updated 6/2/2006 5:15:29 PM by Scott
RCGenius

6/26/2006 7:26:28 AM
Hey ya'll, check out my recent coaster rating adjustments, particularly for coasters at Hersheypark & Dorney Park since I've been on those coasters a lot. I guarantee ya'll that they're beter coaster reviews than ever before & worthy of getting some more comments from ya'll too. That's your decision though.
nyeboy9

6/26/2006 4:14:02 PM
I think that most reviews give a 5 to coasters they hate. 5 is suppose to be average. Instead a 7 or 8 is. I think everyone needs to redo their ratings based on 1-10 not 5-10.
hrrytraver

6/28/2006 2:33:05 PM
^i think the "7" or "8" tending to be a mediocre coaster rating comes from school. a 50% is not average in school, but quite horrible actually. (see gazza thread school in FON)

i have given a "5" and a "6" or two in my reviews, but honestly i don't have enough emotion about "meh" rides to even want to write about them. these were not "hated" coasters, just leave me a little blase'.

on the other hand, i gave mean streak a "3", because it basically sucked and was frustrating because of it's tremendous beauty and promise. even that thing didn't deserve a "1", though.

i think most people on this site rate things intuitively. that is the best way to be, IMO. to try hard at developing a watertight system for your ratings is cool, nothing wrong with striving for a scientific approach, but i personally value the writing more than the rating. any rating, even one that is based on the strictest system imaginable, is still subjective. that, IMO, renders the ratings somewhat meaningless. however, a well written review can be both entertaining and enlightening, thereby worth one's time to read.

here's my rough guide to my own ratings, if i should analyze it-
10-classic, all around great ride
9-damn good. lacks that final "oomph" to get a ten.
8- enjoyable, solid ride. could make me go back to a park on it's own without better rides.
7- enjoyable but noticable problems and flaws.
6- ok ride but not my cup of tea. i would reride these if i happened to be at the park.
5- blah. dull. not my thing at all. this is not an emotional rating.
4- getting into bad category. would not reride.
3-this is an emotional bad. i am very disappointed.
2- it would have really suck to get this. i am almost pissed off that such a ride could exist.(haven't given this yet)
1- i am pissed off. i am feeling hatred. (haven't given this yet, hop i won't ever.)
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics