Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Indiana Beach / Holiday World
Timberman

5/16/2006 8:26:08 PM
Hey, folks. I can't stand it any more. I think I'm just going to jump in the car and head to Holiday World before gas gets any more expensive and while I have a relative lull my other obligations. I figured I'd hit Indiana Beach along the way and perhaps even dip into Kentucky for a quick spin on the Rumbler. Does anybody have any suggestions for travel and coaster riding in that part of the world? Is anybody going to be out and about in any of those parks in the next few days? What about you, hrrytraver, you in?
larrygator

5/16/2006 11:56:52 PM
I drove from NY and did SFKK, HW and IB over Labor Day weekend in 2004 it was a great trip. You will enjoy it also.

My Holiday World TR
My Indiana Beach TR

This weekend will be less crowded than next weekend.

I am meeting up with coaster05 and his wife Memorial Day weekend for events at Holiday World (Friday and Saturday) and Beech Bend on Sunday. The parks will probably be packed on those days as Holiwood Nights and Rumblefest look like they are going to be huge events. I hear motel room are extremely hard to come by right now. But both parks are offering insane amounts of ERT to registered participants. However to register you must belong to a coaster club or be a guest of someone in a club.

Flyers for both events should be on the respective park websites. It is too late to preregister but you can still pay at the gate. Here are some details.

Holiwood Nights - $46.95 for both days. Free dinner on both nights and breakfast on Saturday. Friday night ERT on all 3 woodies 6:30-10PM and Gobbler Getaway from 6:30-7:30. Saturday ERT at waterpark from 9-11AM, 8:30-midnight ERT on 3 woodies and Gobbler Getaway from 8:30-9:30.

Beech Bend on Sunday for $30 includes buffet dinner, ERT on Rumbler from 7:30 to midnight, ERT on Wild Mouse and Looping Star from 7:30-9:30

This year I plan on stopping at Camden Park on the way home to ride a few more classic woodies and get another "new" park old my belt.
Timberman

5/17/2006 12:24:21 AM
Thanks, larrygator. I figured you might be headed that way. Unfortunately, I'll probably miss you guys, as I'm hoping to beat the crowds by getting to Indiana Beach by this Thursday and Holiday World by this Friday. Looks like both parks are already open on the weekdays. The hype on Voyage is getting pretty thick, but even if it wasn't there, I still think this itinerary would be a blast. By the way, when are you going to hit El Toro? I'm looking forward to your review.
Message updated 5/17/2006 12:25:07 AM by Timberman
larrygator

5/17/2006 10:25:14 AM
If El Toro opens Memorial Day weekend I will be there the following Sunday June 4th.

I'll be out of the country with the Theme Park Review UK Trip from June 8th - 21th.

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
hrrytraver

5/17/2006 10:56:59 AM
myself also getting very antsy about the voyage. the reports are really out of control. diehards are falling over themselves running to their keyboards to type frothy reviews onto bulletin boards.
unfortunately i'm going to eastern europe next week until mid june. aside from the fact that i'm really looking forward to getting out of dodge, i'm sad that i cannot impulsively drop what i'm doing to go on a coaster quest to indiana.

i plan to visit el toro when i get back in june. probably the midwest later in the summer.

i respect your brevity, timberman. wish i could join you. however, instead of coasters i will sitting in the taiga eating cabbage soup and sipping tea under the midnight sun.
Timberman

5/17/2006 12:19:06 PM
It's not often I can allow myself to be this impulsive, but this may be the last chance I have to ride coasters of any sort until the fall, and as of August, I'm leaving the Midwest for the Southeast (which should allow me to fulfill a life-long ambition of riding the Lochness Monster).

The way I see it, Cornball Express, Raven, and Legend are worth the trip in themselves. I'm trying not to pin too many hopes to Voyage, but if it's the One and Only, then so much the better. Hades, as far as I'm concerned, did not disappoint, but even those who couldn't bring themselves to say anything good about it are dissolving into syrupy pools of hero worship at the feet of Voyage. This is good, in a way, because it's activated my reactionary tendencies, and now I'm inclined to take a more critical approach to it. Nevertheless, I'm always open to a good ride, and if it delivers, I'll be more than happy to give it its due.

hrrytraver, have fun in Eastern Europe. Since they apparently export their most sullen, passive-aggressive population to Wisconsin Dells each summer, you should meet nothing but laid-back, happy-go-lucky locals whose fondest desire is to show a foreign traveler a good time. Have a bowl of that cabbage soup for me, and I'll grab a corndog for you in the Heartland. Oh, and take a lesson from Eli Roth and stay out of those hostels.
Message updated 5/17/2006 12:20:29 PM by Timberman
hrrytraver

5/17/2006 3:26:02 PM
timberman-
i had a dangerous revelation a little while ago that southwest air, who have a huge hub in baltimore, also fly several times daily to louisville. the flights are appallingly cheap.

drop a line here that you are going to h-world on friday, and i will seriously consider it. is your family staying home?
Timberman

5/17/2006 5:02:18 PM
I'm there on Friday, and yes, sadly, the fam' will be sitting this one out. Look for the skinny white dude with short hair, a beard, dark shades, and a Dawn of the Dead t-shirt. That's me. I hope you can make it.

The pass phrase is: "Can the Tsunami repeat?" The answer is: "Only the Tsunami can defeat the Tsunami."
Message updated 5/17/2006 5:04:48 PM by Timberman
hrrytraver

5/17/2006 6:12:11 PM
Quote:
Timberman said:
Look for the skinny white dude with short hair, a beard, dark shades, and a Dawn of the Dead t-shirt.

ok. very tentative right now. myself- skinny white dude, beard; visual cross between typical campus agitator and chechnyan terrorist.

--------------------
"I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty." jesse helms 1999
BobFunland

5/18/2006 1:39:02 AM
Darn, I missed the illustrious Timberman by a couple of days. Hope you enjoy Indiana wood.
hrrytraver

5/18/2006 10:51:06 AM
timberman-
ok i think i can safely say today that my vestibular organs are bigger than my schedule and wallet.

flying to holiday world at this time is an unrealistic, but noble fantasy. please report to us your findings uopn your return. i'll meet you on LNM when you give it a go.

BTW- what up BOBFUN? what am i, chop suey?
Message updated 5/18/2006 10:51:37 AM by hrrytraver
BobFunland

5/18/2006 2:27:25 PM
sorry, kinda misunderstood what you were saying. I'd enjoy your company as well
Timberman

5/21/2006 2:32:59 AM
Hey all, I just got back. What a nutty trip that was. I'm sorry I was unable to connect with any of my TPC peeps, but I definitely felt you were all there in spirit. I'll submit a full after-action report once I get some shut-eye. Stay tuned as The Voyage and Son of Beast go head to head.
Hercules

5/21/2006 11:26:36 AM
I never thought I would ever hear or read that last sentence in my life...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics