Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Amusement Park MythBusters
no cars go

4/30/2006 1:41:17 AM
I've heard tons of myths about amusement parks and stuff, and I was wondering about some of them lately. The one that I have been pondering the most is about Round-Up type rides. My grandma, who is a physical therapist, was talking to my mom at Kennywood when my mom said something about how much she hated Knoebels' Super Round-Up. So my grandma went on and on about how those types of rides mess up your cell groupings or something like that. So my mom won't let me go on them anymore . Does anyone have any links or some other sort of reliable source to prove or disprove this theory? Because I know that amusement parks are actually very safe and why my grandma who was only a physical therapist would know about something like this and the people who made the ride wouldn't know. So if you can prove it, cool, but if you can disprove it thank you so much because I have been searching to find something that my mom would believe and allow me to go on them again. I love Round-Up rides and I'm really annoyed by this myth.

--------------------
R.I.P. Williams Grove

We will never forget you.
ibluv

4/30/2006 10:27:29 AM
I don't know about messing up cells, but those type of rides can make some people wildly sick (myself includes) and they can only be run for short cycles (less than 90 sec) because if they went longer more ppl would get sick and you know the rest of the story. But otherwise they're not dangerous unless you have certain medical conditions, and I wouldn't have a problem with my kids going on them.

BTW, why is this thread in the FON?
no cars go

4/30/2006 12:27:26 PM
Spinning rides don't bother me at all (which is really surprising).

I put it in the FON because I thought it might be deleted if I put it in the CCD (my Flying Skooters post was deleted). But it was moved here.
Message updated 4/30/2006 12:28:05 PM by no cars go
Cyclonic

4/30/2006 2:21:56 PM
I've never heard anything about this cell placement thing, sounds like a bunch of bunk to me.

A ride like the round-up can be run for a long time depending on the person riding it.

See, the reason you get sick is all linked to you sense of balance. Balance is controled by hairs in your inner ear, these hairs sway back and forth as you move and let your brain know which way is up. as you age, these hairs stiffen, they don't move as well, and can send your brain the wrong signals, causing it to make you sick. This sometimes happens early in life, sometimes latter, and sometimes never. That is why some folks are not bothered by spinning rides, while others can't get on them.

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Annoy a liberal, work hard and be happy.

erinys

4/30/2006 3:56:05 PM
Wow. I mean, well, wow.
Do you know if the same, or similar, hairs apply to inversions? I'm guessing this is the hairs in the 3 fluid canals in the ears? Ok - now I'm r-e-a-l-l-y stretching - could their be any correlation between one's external body hair (like my husband's thick stiff Italian hair or my fine, thin hair) and those internal hairs that keeps him off spinnies while I still spin around in circles on my own til I fall down like a little kid?

Wow. What a clear, concise explanation. But you STILL can't get me on Nitro.
Horizons12

4/30/2006 9:59:35 PM
I remember going on a 6 minute long Gravatron ride once. My cells must be absolutely scrambled now. I don't know about this cell grouping thing though. I think you have to worry more about a weak blood vessel than worrying about having your cells rearanged on these types of rides.

BTW, "Cell Rearranger" would be a great name for a flatride.

--------------------
"if it is just us, it seems like an awful waste of space." -Contact

Visit my website
The Domain of Death III
Visit my OTHER web site!
Hit by Pitch!, Documenting all the poor saps plunked in the MLB!

Conservatives: Corruption is all they know!
Message updated 4/30/2006 10:03:49 PM by Horizons12
ibluv

5/1/2006 9:04:11 AM
Quote:
Horizons12 said:
I remember going on a 6 minute long Gravatron ride once

Well then you must've been one sick kid afterward. Where I work we have a rotor, and if you get caught running it for much longer than 90 seconds you get in BIIIIIIIIG trouble.

--------------------
I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lime and a shot of tequila.
Horizons12

5/1/2006 2:29:24 PM
Well, it wasn't 6 straight minutes, it was like 1 or so minutes of spin-up, 2 minutes of full, 1 minute slower, then 2 minutes full, then spindown. I guess it's not far off the the 90 second rule. Afterwards I was dizzy as heck, but not sick really.
no cars go

5/1/2006 8:27:51 PM
I started a board on a health website, but I don't want my username to give away me being an amusement park freak. So do you like my username, ColonBuddy. I decided to get some non-thrill ride people in on this question. I just started the board, so more people should start posting soon enough.

--------------------
For God so Loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
ibluv

5/1/2006 10:18:42 PM
I thought your name was the name of a band, so it won't necessarily give you away. Why do you care whether or not people know you're an AP freak anyway?
larrygator

5/2/2006 1:01:20 PM
Quote:
ibluv said:
Well then you must've been one sick kid afterward. Where I work we have a rotor, and if you get caught running it for much longer than 90 seconds you get in BIIIIIIIIG trouble.

I could ride that rotor (Lake Compounce) for a lot long than 90 seconds since they run it soooooooo slow

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
no cars go

5/2/2006 6:30:41 PM
Quote:
ibluv said:
I thought your name was the name of a band, so it won't necessarily give you away. Why do you care whether or not people know you're an AP freak anyway?

Because they might say some things about how all amusement parks are unsafe, they might freak out on me or somthing... I'm going undercover as a regular nurse...

--------------------
http://flyingturnsproject.com/01202006/100_0723b.JPG
Look at the man on the left with the gray hair... That's an odd expression he has on his face...

:spam: That spam dude is HOTT!!!
ibluv

5/2/2006 7:54:41 PM
Actually, statistically APs are one of the safest forms of entertainment there is. You're 100s of times more likely to die or get injured in a car accident
no cars go

5/2/2006 7:58:08 PM
I know but some people are just so ignorant about what they think is safe or not.
Cyclonic

5/2/2006 11:15:37 PM
Yeah, it is kinda like the whole second hand smoke thing. The percieved danger is what creates the fear, not the actual danger.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics