Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Designated Smoking Policy in Amusement Parks
coasterwom

4/25/2006 2:17:05 AM
What are your thoughts on designated smoking policies in the amusement parks today? Should this be allowed or not? What parks have instituted this policy?
larrygator

4/25/2006 9:57:07 AM
My thoughts are that smoking should only be allowed in designated areas of parks.
mrceagle

4/25/2006 10:45:30 AM
I agree. the Designated area policy is fine. it dosn't alienate the guests that smoke but it prevents them from smocking in front of Younger Guests and those that don't.

This has worked very succesfuly at teh smaller NH parks. Story land and Santa's Village have been doing it for years.

Paramount parks have adopted this I think, SFI, and I beleae Holiday world has it or is planign on adding it. LC has debated it for a while.
Hercules

4/25/2006 12:02:51 PM
Yup. Designated smoking areas and that is it.

Is Great Adventure subject to the state wide smoking ban even though they are open air? I realize that the smoking thing is a company wide thing, but I was just wondering how that worked.
larrygator

4/25/2006 12:15:46 PM
Yes, Holiday World does have designated smoking areas. They were there when I visited in 2004.

SFGAdv - I do not think New Jersey regualtions would affect SFGAdv except for in thier shops, restaurants and arenas. But that is just speculation.
mrceagle

4/25/2006 12:46:03 PM
larry is most likely right. normaly these smocking bands are for inclosed public areas.
Hercules

4/25/2006 12:48:54 PM
That' what I figured. I know that is the fact in New York, I just wanted to see how the park would be affected in Jersey. Thanks.
mrceagle

4/25/2006 12:56:34 PM
No prob. So do you feel the parks are Properly displayign these areas? makign them seasy to find?
BobFunland

4/25/2006 12:59:01 PM
I think it should be up to the parks to choose - if Six Flags or Paramount want to go smoke-free, so be it. Their choice.

In the other thread I just read someone said it was an infringement upon smoker's rights - that can only be the case if the policy is in place solely because of a government regulation, IMO.

BTW I like to have fun with this policy as it is the one rule I HATE to see broken, kinda like Nathan and line jumping

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 4/25/2006 12:59:35 PM by BobFunland
mrceagle

4/25/2006 3:16:02 PM
There is no amendment allowing you to smoke. it's mearly a choice people make. So no rights can be infringed apone.
coasterwom

5/30/2006 1:35:39 AM
I just visited a SF park this past weekend and they had 4 places on the map to smoke and when you walked around the park you couldn't find them. If they are going to do this at least mark the spots where you can find them. I think this is a dumb rule.
mrceagle

5/30/2006 11:50:47 AM
Which SF park was it. SFNE's are on the map nto totaly signed out but easy to find.
Hercules

5/30/2006 1:32:23 PM
I'm sure it was Great Adventure because they have four, but if you can't find them you are either blind or really stupid.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
5/30/2006 3:22:17 PM
They're pretty easy to find at GAdv - clearly marked on the map, and in the actual spot.
Animan1

5/30/2006 5:15:00 PM
Remember folks - we are talking about coasterwom here.

I too believe that the designated smoking areas are best compromise for the parties involved. They allow the smokers to smoke, and the other patrons enjoy the rest of the park smoke-free. And while I would not be opposed to completely smoke-free parks, I think that in general that policy would be met with a good deal of hostility and stubborness. Just my two cents.
nyeboy9

5/30/2006 9:38:19 PM
I agree with Animan1. I would like Smoke-Free, but that probably isn't possible.
coasterwom

6/1/2006 4:11:59 AM
KK in Louisville has 4 spots to smoke on the map but they aren't marked when you walk around the park. I think they need to add more smoking areas in my opinion. This is not enough areas in my opinion.
RCGenius

6/1/2006 7:52:55 PM
A smoke-free park would be a whole lot better since most amusement parks have a family atmosphere, but if there are designated areas for smokers, I don't have a problem with them being in those areas as long as they aren't around me. One day at Hersheypark when I was in line for Storm Runner, there were four teenagers there who were smoking while in line. There were signs all along the queve saying "Thank You for Not Smoking," but they didn't care. People like that should be at least removed from the line for disobeying the park rules.
mrceagle

6/2/2006 1:23:44 PM
It's pretty bad when people do things like that. it just ruins the day for so many other people.

I agree that some parks need to make the areas more noticable. Signs are needed to let them know not just a map.
coasterwom

6/6/2006 10:34:53 PM
I agree with not being able to smoke in lines but I feel you're outside so why stop someone from smoking just put ashtrays in around the park.
mrceagle

6/6/2006 11:46:50 PM
So your a Smoker!

Thing is if someone is smoking any were they don't put them in the ashtrays. its to unsightly and expensive to install them every few foot so you stand a chance of people using the.

The smoking areas allow those who are dumb enough to smoke to do so. they are away from the people who aren't stuck breathing it, smelling it and it keeps the park cleaner since the butts are in one area.
erinys

6/7/2006 7:32:10 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said: ...areas allow those who are dumb enough to smoke...

Was that necessary? I know it makes you ill, and I'm sure that is extremely unpleasant. I also know there are numerous studies showing tobacco is more addictive and harder to quit than heroin, as well as more addictive to women than to men, making it easier for women to get addicted and more difficult for women to quit. So it isn't simply a matter of stupidity.

I'm great with smoking areas when there are enough provided and they have ample space and seating. As of May 5th SFGAdv could have used 1 or 2 more, the existing ones weren't all well-marked, nor were they necessarily exactly where they were identified on the map, nor did the employees know where they were in order to direct people to them. Those are problems, but they can be resolved.

At this time telling 20% of the population they can't get their fix anywhere in a park isn't realistic. Therefore it is in everyone's best interest to have adequate smoking areas with adequate space and seating rather than cattle pens. That way, jonesing smokers aren't cranky, irritated, & smoking in general public spaces because the facilities provided are inadequate. If suitable spaces are provided, I believe most people will obey the rules, and keep their smoke out of your face. And parks which limit smoking to specific areas should sell Nicorette.

Parks that allow smoking NEED to have numerous Smoker's Outposts. There should be one in front of every ride queue. They can't be THAT expensive. At Hershey very recently I felt bad smoking because no matter how far on the edges I got people would walk close & make that face, even though I was there first trying to isolate myself - there was just no where else to go. & there were almost no Smoker's Outposts. Putting out a cigarette required finding a rock or piece of out of the way metal to completely kill it on so the butt could be safely thrown in the trash. I don't want to litter the ground & make it ugly & toxic, but Hershey provided little alternative.

There has to be some happy medium. Most smokers are not thoughtless jerks who want to destroy someone else's happiness or the environment. Non-smokers should support making smoking areas tolerable so they are used - it isn't as easy as hiring bouncers with billy clubs to beat people towards the nearest smoking station. It would be nice if we could work together to find solutions that work for everyone.
Message updated 6/7/2006 7:36:52 PM by erinys
Animan1

6/7/2006 9:23:33 PM
I don't like short posts, but that was a very thoughtful, well-written and concise (even though it was long) post. Great job, erinys.
mrceagle

6/9/2006 12:35:03 PM
I admit tat my view towards smoking is a bit skewed. I've lost a few family member to Smoking and the negative aspects of them are strongly embedded in my mind.

I agree that you just can't tel them you can't. that a political nightmare waiting to happen and you'd never be able to regulate it.

The smoking areas work well. park in Northern NH have been doing it for years. each smocking area had a gazebo with seats, Signs to indicate what it is and a container to dispose of the Cigarettes in. I haven't had problems with people smocking in lines and if you mention to some one not int eh area that the park wishes them to and point them to the closest area they are normally happy to comply.

Though Unfortunately like in many cases you have that handful of people that Dump there Ashtrays out the car window, or just drop there put right on the ground, or smock everywhere despite who is around and get upset when you ask them not to and inform then they are allowed to do that. Well these people just make everyone look bad.
coasterwom

6/19/2006 2:30:18 AM
I don't feel there are enough smoking areas in the parks and there are not enough places to smoke in the parks. I am a smoker and I don't think this is a good rule to have in my opinion and others I have talked to at Six Flags parks think it's dumb also. Also if they are going to have designated areas to smoke put seats or someting to sit on in the area. I was at a SF park in Buffalo and they had 1 bench to sit on and an area that wasn't very large for smokers.
Quote:
Message updated 6/19/2006 2:31:03 AM by coasterwom
coasterwom

6/19/2006 2:33:06 AM
Quote:
erinys said:
Was that necessary? I know it makes you ill, and I'm sure that is extremely unpleasant. I also know there are numerous studies showing tobacco is more addictive and harder to quit than heroin, as well as more addictive to women than to men, making it easier for women to get addicted and more difficult for women to quit. So it isn't simply a matter of stupidity.

I'm great with smoking areas when there are enough provided and they have ample space and seating. As of May 5th SFGAdv could have used 1 or 2 more, the existing ones weren't all well-marked, nor were they necessarily exactly where they were identified on the map, nor did the employees know where they were in order to direct people to them. Those are problems, but they can be resolved.

At this time telling 20% of the population they can't get their fix anywhere in a park isn't realistic. Therefore it is in everyone's best interest to have adequate smoking areas with adequate space and seating rather than cattle pens. That way, jonesing smokers aren't cranky, irritated, & smoking in general public spaces because the facilities provided are inadequate. If suitable spaces are provided, I believe most people will obey the rules, and keep their smoke out of your face. And parks which limit smoking to specific areas should sell Nicorette.

Parks that allow smoking NEED to have numerous Smoker's Outposts. There should be one in front of every ride queue. They can't be THAT expensive. At Hershey very recently I felt bad smoking because no matter how far on the edges I got people would walk close & make that face, even though I was there first trying to isolate myself - there was just no where else to go. & there were almost no Smoker's Outposts. Putting out a cigarette required finding a rock or piece of out of the way metal to completely kill it on so the butt could be safely thrown in the trash. I don't want to litter the ground & make it ugly & toxic, but Hershey provided little alternative.

There has to be some happy medium. Most smokers are not thoughtless jerks who want to destroy someone else's happiness or the environment. Non-smokers should support making smoking areas tolerable so they are used - it isn't as easy as hiring bouncers with billy clubs to beat people towards the nearest smoking station. It would be nice if we could work together to find solutions that work for everyone.
I agree with the post and won't complain anymore I just want to voice my opinions on the issue.

primogen18

6/19/2006 11:01:12 AM
I just got back from Busch Gardens Africa and I really wish the smoking policy would have been better inforced. I agree with the idea though but I wish they would be a little more off of the midway and as I just said, better inforced. I don't care if people smoke, and before going to Busch Gardens I never even cared where and never understood the big deal, but now I get it. Busch Gardens is a very lush and beautiful park with some great atmosphere and landscaping. I love the climate when walking through smelling the flowers and fresh air, it was great. It was there that I realized how much walking through a cloud of cigarette smoke really dampers the atmosphere of a park. Same goes for Seaworld as well, and any park I go to from now on. I'm hoping designated smoking areas is something Knoebels might consider soon as well.

--------------------
ThrodL
ThrodL on Myspace

Message updated 6/19/2006 11:03:58 AM by primogen18
hrrytraver

6/19/2006 11:25:32 AM
^i don't disagree in the least with anything that has been said. however, for my personal taste, sometimes the smell of cigarettes is an ingredient in the "cocktail" of certain atmospheres. for instance, the ocean city, MD boardwalk and amusment parks would not be the same for me without the combined odors of deep fat fryers, salt water, and cigarette smoke.

mind you, no qualms at all here about restaurants, theme parks etc having strict smoke segregation. but for me, when i go to a bar in nyc or cali, it's just not the same as the old days. i don't even smoke cigs, but the smell and dense air of a smokey bar is part of a the experience, IMO.

i guess i'm just a connoisseur of "vibe" and "atmosphere". if i want sweet smelling nature i can go hiking. i like sort of trashy "human" odors at amusement parks. then again, busch gardens for instance doesn't want to seem at all "trashy". that said, the very "themey" and "landscapey" big parks aren't much to my taste anyhow, and i'm not sure i'll ever go to BGT...

--------------------
"I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty." jesse helms 1999
Message updated 6/19/2006 11:27:37 AM by hrrytraver
Scott

6/19/2006 1:24:21 PM
I support smoking areas, but I also think that they must be well placed, and have plenty of locations.

Disneyland has many smoking areas, but they are poorly placed. You can smell smoke on splash mountain right after the drop. It ruins the atmosphere.

Disney's California Adventure, for example, has great, secluded smoking areas.

BTW, I am NOT a smoker.
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
6/19/2006 4:46:02 PM
Quote:
hrrytraver said:
i guess i'm just a connoisseur of "vibe" and "atmosphere". if i want sweet smelling nature i can go hiking. i like sort of trashy "human" odors at amusement parks. then again, busch gardens for instance doesn't want to seem at all "trashy". that said, the very "themey" and "landscapey" big parks aren't much to my taste anyhow, and i'm not sure i'll ever go to BGT...

You know what's funny? As far as the usual smells of amusement parks and carnivals, I actually don't even mind bumping into the occasional odor of well, yeah, puke - it's part of the territory, and reminds me that I'm in a place rampant with tossing, twisting, churning and generally manipulating a person's organs. But cigarette smoke bugs me to bits. Go figure...

--------------------
"Coney Island is the most human thing that God ever made... or permitted the devil to make." - Richard LeGallienne
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics