Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Six Flags Park thatll Never be Sold
RCGenius

4/7/2006 8:53:59 PM
This is basically an opinionated thread, but which Six Flags parks do ya'll feel will never be sold by Six Flags? Here are my top choices:

Six Flags Great America (it has the best landscaping, it's very clean, & is one of the better Six Flags parks around)

Six Flags Great Adventure (with all of the improvements they've done to the park in the past few years (El Toro, Kingda Ka, new hotel, etc.), do ya'll think that SF will ever get rid of this park? It's a top destination choice from the East coast)

Six Flags Magic Mountain (although I've heard that the management there sux, they'd never sell a park with a huge coaster collection since it's practically their top thrillseeking coaster park)

Six Flags over Georgia (again one of the better Six Flags parks because of its ride selection, coaster collection, great atmosphere, & efficient management)

Six Flags over Texas (with it being Six Flag's first park, it has a lot of history in its reportoire as well as a great atmosphere & ride collection. The landscaping & theming there's also cool)
no cars go

4/7/2006 11:33:16 PM
1. Six Flags Great Adventure
They're building El Toro, just built Kingda Ka in '05, and Superman - Ultimate Flight in '03.
2. Six Flags Magic Mountain
Building Tatsu and just built Scream! in '03, not totally sure what's up with Flashback though. (Looks like such a fun coaster )

Ones First To Be Sold:
1. Six Flags New Orleans
With all that's going on in New Orleans, I'm skeptical of SF opening it back up.
2. Six Flags Marine World
All their coasters are sit down except for 2 of them, Zonga is SBNO and Greesed Lightnin is still laying around. The park seems kind of neglected.

--------------------
If I could open my arms and span the length of the isle of Manhattan
I'd bring it to where you are making a lake of the East River and Hudson
If I could open my arms wide enough for a marching band to march out
They would make your name sing and bend through alleys and bounce off all the buildings

www.freewebs.com/kennywoodpark
BobFunland

4/8/2006 1:32:40 AM
Over Georgia
Over Texas
Kentucky Kingdom
Marine World
New Orleans

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
mrceagle

4/8/2006 9:23:06 PM
Well
SFOG
SFGAdv
SFOT
SFNO - there have a contract lease on the property they are responsible for it for another 70 years.
RCGenius

4/9/2006 6:29:44 AM
BobFunland, do you really think that SF will never sell Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom & Six Flags Marine World? The only reason I'm asking you this is because I think that both of those parks are somewhat average by everyone else's standards & SF has been kinda neglecting both of those parks for some time now because they haven't put in a major addition for SFKK & SFMW in a couple of years. SFKK's last major addition was the Greased Lightnin' back in 2003 & SFMM's last blockbuster attraction was the Zonga back in 2003, but it's currently SBNO.
Animan1

4/9/2006 10:17:56 AM
These 4 would be my top guesses:

SFGAm (at least I hope not! )
SFOG
SFGAdv
SFOT
larrygator

4/9/2006 10:34:35 PM
I think BFL said SFKK and SFMW becuase Six Flags does not own the land under these parks.

I doubt SF would ever sell the 5 pakrs you listed unless the whole chain was sold.
mrceagle

4/9/2006 10:45:31 PM
Quote:
RCGenius said:
BobFunland, do you really think that SF will never sell Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom & Six Flags Marine World? The only reason I'm asking you this is because I think that both of those parks are somewhat average by everyone else's standards & SF has been kinda neglecting both of those parks for some time now because they haven't put in a major addition for SFKK & SFMW in a couple of years. SFKK's last major addition was the Greased Lightnin' back in 2003 & SFMM's last blockbuster attraction was the Zonga back in 2003, but it's currently SBNO.

Keep in mind though like SFNO, SFKK is not owned by the park. It’s leased. The land is owned by the city or state. It’s the Fair grounds. So when the lease is up really would depend on when they might be able to dump it. Though they won’t get much money out of the deal. You mentioned that SFI has neglected it. They can’t do much more then to sell off or move the rides and other assets they added while running the park. That would be less any outside money was invested from the fair.

As for SFMW, why sell it The area is extremely populated and that alone makes for high numbers. The park may not have added major Rides lately but has increased the quality of the shows and number of Marin exhibits greatly over the years. SFMW looks now that Sea World is trying to be.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
BobFunland

4/10/2006 3:57:16 AM
The parks I listed all have some sort of contractual obligations that would make a sale difficult (if not impossible since you can't sell something you don't own)

therefore, I win
Scott

4/10/2006 6:41:52 PM
First Sold- Elitch gardens.
ibluv

4/10/2006 6:58:16 PM
Actually Astroworld was the 1st sold. Hopefully SFNE will be next, but continue to operate as an AP.
mrceagle

4/10/2006 10:06:43 PM
I don’t think SFNE will get the 2 million Shapero thinks they will get. But, as long as the park is getting 1.1 million or more I don’t see them selling it off. SFEG is possible given its location and possible value. But there is really no reason SFEG can’t get 1.1 million a year or more.

Overall I don’t think we will see any more parks sold of for a couple more years.
BobFunland

4/11/2006 2:40:04 PM
I don't think ANY park will hit Shapiro's goals, they are rediculously high.

Attendance wise that is... I think financially, the parks could very well hit their parks.
Message updated 4/11/2006 2:41:22 PM by BobFunland
ibluv

4/11/2006 8:36:55 PM
IMO they're taking on more they can handle. The least profitable parks should be sold and more $ put toward maintaining the others.
mrceagle

4/12/2006 9:38:57 AM
Which isn’t a bad idea, but just because A park is making less money doesn’t mean its Not worth keeping. Take TGE, It can’t be making that much money. Allot of locals willing to use public transportation instead of paying for parking and likely get a season pass. That park may be a good attendance but won’t be a good money maker.

I agree bob that his goals are way overboard. 1.5 million for TGE, 2 million for SFNE. TGE will not get more people this year with nothing to draw then in. SFNE even if they did get 1.2 million last year isn’t going to get another 800,000 for the year. Not with NYC being drawn to El Toro at SFGAdv. They weren’t ear 2 million when they switched to a flagged park.
coasterwom

4/19/2006 5:08:24 AM
I think Six Flags should keep the most profitable parks an sell the least productive ones to other chains. According to Save Astroworld dot com the most profitable are 1.SF NJ 2.SF Ill. 3. SFMM-Calif, 4.SFOT 5.SFOG 6.SFNEngland 7.SF Astroworld 8.Six Flags America 9.SFMW 10.SF Mexico I hope that they don't get rid of all the lower ranking parks because I live in Ohio and the closest Six Flags park to me is Darien Lake in New York and Kentucky Kingdom. New Orleans was flooded last year and who knows what will happen to this park.
mrceagle

4/20/2006 11:42:07 AM
The reasons for dumping Astro world were more about money then Profits if that makes any sence. the land was worth so much even though they were geting a great turn out they wern't making as much money and the land was worth so much it cost them more to keep th park up. in turn they coudl mae aloot more money off the land then they coudl off the park.
BobFunland

4/21/2006 4:05:59 PM
The post two entries above this one, regarding which parks make the most money, is very inaccurate and I'm sorry but those folks don't know what they are talking about. I thought maybe revenue ranked that way (still doubtful) but on second thought, no, lots of inaccuracies in there.
Message updated 4/21/2006 4:06:42 PM by BobFunland
larrygator

4/21/2006 5:20:25 PM
Productivity is nice, but if a park makes $10 million and year and the land is worth $1 billion it would take 100 years (of making $10 million a year) to be as profitable as selling now. That is why many speculate that Six Flags America may be sold. The land is very valuable to developers.
mrceagle

4/21/2006 11:02:01 PM
LArry that's exactly what I was getign at. But with America i woudl more expect them to sell all the extra land beforethey consider selling the park.
larrygator

4/22/2006 2:08:21 PM
^mrceagle - I was just rewording what you said for clarity.

However, the problem with selling the extra land is that land can not be easily developed and sold for residental housing being so close to the park because of noise problems.
coasterwom

4/25/2006 11:03:28 PM
I have found a listing of Six Flags parks according to attendance rankings on I think my speculations are correct. They will start at the bottom with Fronteir City, Wyandot Lake, Elitch Gardens, New Orleans,Great Escape, Wild Waves, Maybe Fiesta Texas, Mexico, and Marine World. I hope they keep the major parks and make them close enough for everyone to go to.
Scott

4/25/2006 11:05:54 PM
Elitch gardens, for it's size is very profitable. Don't just do it on attendance rankings. The park can only handel 20,000 a day Some six flags parks will hold 50,000.
mrceagle

4/26/2006 11:08:45 AM
Ya the attendance isn't the only thing to look at here. Profitability s also. Thing is many of those parks that aren't betign good attendance have been ignored. woudl you run to a park that has been exactly the same as the 3 years before more then maybe once in a year.

That's the problem. Thise low attended parks have been ignored or there addition s have been worthless.
Animan1

4/26/2006 7:34:24 PM
That's why SFMW has Medusa and SFFT has S:KC. After all, they are just worthless additions.

no cars go

4/26/2006 10:38:23 PM
I've heard many good things about Medusa...

Haha if someone who knew nothing about coasters read that, they might throw me in some mental hospital or something.

--------------------
R.I.P. Williams Grove

We will never forget you.
mrceagle

4/26/2006 10:48:58 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
That's why SFMW has Medusa and SFFT has S:KC. After all, they are just worthless additions.

Both those coaster were instaled 6 years ago. Since then what have they got. SFMW V2 and SFFT Greased Lighting.While SFMW did get teh family area this year and an increase to the animal exibits last year what did they get in the here's between.

SFFT. has reseaved even less.

Now look at parks like SFDL hasn't seena coaster period since 99. what has the parks reseaved for Flats of water park stuff. oh ya an upcharge atraction and a used Chute ride in 2002.
Animan1

4/27/2006 10:09:28 AM
You never miss a chance to bash SFI, do you? I am convinced, and I mean finally convinced, that you will never be satisfied until they lower prices, stop charging for parking, and add new rides, shows, and attractions, every year. Which anyone who knows anything about finances and economics realizes is impossible. You can keep hoping and whining all you want, though, don't let me stop you. But it's not going to get you what you want, and we are all more than tired of hearing you cry about it.
mrceagle

4/27/2006 11:07:27 AM
Then prove me wrong. say they added some Kiddie rides, Fixed some buildings, painted a coaster or ride, added somthing smaller, etc.

You want other parks. Were you co. While I'm glad Canobie Lake is getign a frisbee I'm anoyed that they will keep the crapy Zamperla Skater and remove ther paratrper ride. Not to mention they haven't added a coaster in like 10 years. in that time they removed the Zalixy coaster.

Funtown hasn't added anythign to the park in 3 years. andonly added 3 things in 8 years. While a park just around th eCorner has added one to two rides each year.

Story land. I know the name implys Kids park. but since they are the larger park in that area they get the teens since there is literaly nothign else to do. they shoud adda few attractions Higher end family ridea nd a second coaster to give then somthing. at $22 per guest over 3 and getignan estimater 600,000 geusts a year shay could do more then they are. Not to metnio nthey are removing the HAritage which is one of the most uniquie attractions/musiems you will ever visit.

I have complaints and positive thoughts about just about every park i have visited. includign Disney. but this thread isn't about other parks it's about SFI.
Hercules

4/27/2006 1:13:07 PM
To me, it seems that every park is improving. They are adding your precious family rides, fixing buildings, adding theming, adding characters, painting coasters, doing all of the small things etc. Where have you been? Don't knock on places until you have been there. Hell, just look at pictures of places.
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics