Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author Which Steel Coaster has the most Airtime?
Hercules

4/24/2006 3:38:21 PM
That's what a lot of the lovers of the ride get at, stating that airtime is not that big of a deal and that speed is what makes a ride. That is just them though. To each their own. Of course they don't think that way though.
hrrytraver

4/24/2006 5:22:12 PM
millennium force is a very unique coaster experience. for certain there are no abrupt shifts or "wild" elements to it.

mf seems to be about conserving it's energy and optimizing speed. all of the overbanked turns help conserve potential energy whereas, if my understanding of physics is correct, airtime hills and horizontal laterals would create more friction, slowing the train some. mf feels like it goes 90mph all the way to the brakes.

i for one recall floating air from the top of first drop to the bottom. it's a beautiful first drop. one of the best around for sure.

i prefer a "wilder" ride of course, but mf is a hell of good coaster, air or no air. you'll enjoy it a lot cstrglxy.
CCTrack

4/24/2006 5:33:17 PM
There is airtime but not much air time but it is an amazing ride because of the height and speed and its so smooth, seriously it dosnt seem like it slows down at all from the beginning to the end of the ride, but yeah you definetely dont ride it for the airtime.
larrygator

4/24/2006 11:33:28 PM
Quote:
D3ath Cab said:
I've heard Desperado @ Buffalo Bill's has a bunch of airtime periods that are sustained for a while. Does it compete with Apollo's Chariot or not?

I rode Desperado about 8 years ago and it did have quite a bit of air but not the same amount as AC. I'd say Desperado is similar to Phantom's Revenge in terms of the amount of air. I hear it is much rougher now than it was years ago.

coasterwom

4/25/2006 12:02:43 AM
MF was the tallest giga coaster when it opened in 2000. It is one of the fastest coasters at CP and still is my number one coaster. I love the speed, the height, the hills, the smoothness, ect. Desperado, Apollo's Chariot, Nitro,Steel Force, Superman ROS, Mamba, and many others have good air time.
Animan1

4/25/2006 5:19:18 PM
^ That post just seems to be off topic to me. Sorry, but it just sounds like it's repeating what's already been said.

That being said, I agree with everyone who has said that MF is a great coaster, but not for airtime. A large coaster that only drops 30 mph from it's fastest point to its brake run must be built for speed, and MF certainly is. It's far from my favorite hyper, but it is a great coaster nonetheless and one that is a lot of fun to ride.
fergusonat

4/25/2006 7:55:49 PM
My favorite rides for airtime would have to be Apollo's Chariot and Phantom's Revenge. They pretty much tie in my mind for quality of airtime...although Apollo's airtime is obviously more of the floater-air type. Phantom's Revenge has by far the most violent ejector air I have yet experienced.

I'd really like to get myself down to SFOG to try out Goliath...it looks like it has a lot of potential to have some amazing airtime

--------------------
DON'T BE HATIN' HYDRA
Message updated 4/25/2006 7:56:27 PM by fergusonat
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics