Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Best amusemnt park during HALLOWEEN
viking78

3/22/2006 12:33:22 AM
One of my favorite things in the world is to go to amusement parks during their Halloween events. It's a GREAT way to end the coaster season.

I would say the best would have to be Universal Studios Hollywood's Horror Nights!

They are intense and brutal. They don't even allow children in the park it gets so bad. The haunted houses are created by real hollywood geniuses like Clive Barker and Rob Zombie. When I went a few years ago the "Clive Barker's Hell" was completely insane! Just a blast!

I also love Busch Gardens Williamsburg for a more family oriented scare fest. Being deep in the woods at night like that is great.

So what do you all think?
ibluv

3/22/2006 11:12:56 AM
The only park I've ever been to during Halloween is Lake Compounce, but it does a pretty darn good job. They transform the entire park: there's the Haunted Graveyard which can take close to an hour to go through, Boulder Dash in the pitch black, haunted train ride, and costumed characters who roam the park and like to freak ppl out (they still allow kiddies in the park tho...). This year I hope to make it to the Great Escape and/or SFNE, cuz I've heard both of those parks do a good job as well.
mrceagle

3/22/2006 10:38:24 PM
I've been to a few and Lake Compounce has the best one. The park itself has haounted train ride, Many falloween sets scatered around the park, A small Hounted houuse of there own and another one on the way, Many effects(lighting, sound, Vishual,etc), and they host the Hounted Grave yard.

The Grave yard is hosted eun by a none profit group that raises Mony for Childhood Diabetes. The Gravyard consists af around 5 indoor walk throughs and 4-7(depending on layout) outdoor walkthroughs. The intire thing takes 1-1.25 hours to go through.

The park is operating nearly every ride and Night rides on Boulderdash are amazing.
RCGenius

3/23/2006 8:21:46 PM
Hersheypark's definitely the best amusement park during the Halloween season. The Hershey Characters are all dressed up & the lil kids look so adorable running around the park in the lil costumes enjoying themselves. The main reason's because every coaster except the Wildcat, Roller Soaker, & Sidewinder are open during this event. Select rides opening at the time has their name temporarly changed into a Halloween themed name & six additional themed rides for the kids are added to the park during the Halloween event too. I wish that I could visit Knoebels for their Pheonix Phall Phunfest or Dorney Park's Halloween event one day b/c I've never done that b/f.
coasterwom

3/24/2006 6:48:17 AM
I think Kings Island and Cedar Point have the best Halloween activities around. The haunted houses, shows, and atmosphere is great. I also like the extra ride time because they are open until 12 am on weekends. This is the best time to visit. I feel all parks should have these events because it's alot of fun and it extends the riding season.
taylorb251

3/24/2006 1:39:24 PM
My top Five

PKI
Kenny wood
CP
GL
SFGA
PhantomRev

3/26/2006 6:56:41 AM
I can only go by the one that i have actually went to lol Kennywood!! I love KW Phantom Fright Nights. The way the park is transformed is great. I mean, they really change all the lights on the coasters and some of the other rides, and the name of their different food selections are different as well. And of course the haunted mazes, those are all good. The lines to tend to be very very long during fright nights. On a super busy night you would be lucky if u went through 2 or 3 mazes and one maybe 2 rides. I just dont have the patients to wait 2+ hours for each maze. But all in all, they must be doing something good to have those kind of lines.

--------------------
Holla Back! 1
coaster05

3/26/2006 8:27:44 AM
Wow Phantom I went last year and was able to ride about 10+ rides and visit all the haunted areas at Kennywood.

BTW that is currently my favorite Fright Night.
DOOM1001

4/1/2006 7:49:58 PM
Universal studios Hollywood as far as I know doesn't do Horror Nights any longer.I think you might be referring to Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights which there's no doubt IS the best Halloween Event anywhere!!!
viking78

4/6/2006 12:22:16 AM
Quote:
DOOM1001 said:
Universal studios Hollywood as far as I know doesn't do Horror Nights any longer.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!! Are you kidding me??!! Universal Hollywood doesn't do Horror Nights anymore? That is terrible! Why did they stop? I am telling you now, when I went it was the greatest live horror experience of my life!!!
no cars go

4/8/2006 12:34:54 AM
Kennywood's Phantom Fright Nights (not sure if Fright is spelled Phright)
Knoebels Phoenix Phall Phunfest

--------------------
If I could open my arms and span the length of the isle of Manhattan
I'd bring it to where you are making a lake of the East River and Hudson
If I could open my arms wide enough for a marching band to march out
They would make your name sing and bend through alleys and bounce off all the buildings

www.freewebs.com/kennywoodpark
viking78

9/26/2006 5:01:40 PM
Well it's that time of year again. Defintely time to dust of this thread. I stick by my original opinion of the Universal Horrornights for the best but also BGW has a GREAT Halloween thing going on every year. I will be making my first ever trip to Dorney during their Halloween event in a few weeks. I hope its good. If its not atleast I get to ride one of my favorite coasters (Steelforce) and try out Hydra. My new home park (Hershey) seems to have a really weak Halloween theme based on their website. I hope I'm wrong.
Hercules

9/26/2006 6:44:29 PM
^ Both that you mentioned in PA are very weak. At Hershey, though, you get in for cheap and there are no lines for the rides.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

Message updated 9/26/2006 6:45:24 PM by Hercules
viking78

9/26/2006 7:31:41 PM
Quote:
coasterwom said:
I think Kings Island and Cedar Point have the best Halloween activities around. The haunted houses, shows, and atmosphere is great. I also like the extra ride time because they are open until 12 am on weekends. This is the best time to visit. I feel all parks should have these events because it's alot of fun and it extends the riding season.

Wildcat is not open during the fall? That is weak. Are you sure it will be closed this season?

--------------------
Another of the many reasons to love the 80's- Suspended Coasters
nyeboy9

9/26/2006 8:42:38 PM
Quote:
DOOM1001 said:
Universal studios Hollywood as far as I know doesn't do Horror Nights any longer.I think you might be referring to Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights which there's no doubt IS the best Halloween Event anywhere!!!

Uhh, yeah they still do HHN. Why else would they have it on their site? If they did stop, well that's news to me.

PKI and Universal Orlando are my top parks for halloween.

--------------------
My Coaster Count

Message updated 9/26/2006 8:44:05 PM by nyeboy9
tacoking

9/26/2006 10:34:47 PM
They did in fact stop for a few years at USH (budget reasons I think they said - but I think it was stiff competition from Knotts).

Do I need to say my answer? USO owns all.
taylorb251

9/29/2006 2:35:53 PM
I going to Knoelbels and Dorney next weekend I hope they are good.
Hercules

10/2/2006 1:55:33 PM
Knobels, from what I have heard, are is not the typical Halloween event. I hope it is good.

Dorney, isn't that great. There are a couple of houses that are mediocre at best. And since you will be going on Sunday, the Fright Zone will not be open. It's not much to miss though. Basicallly, it is the same decor year after year after year. I seriously don't remember anything new within the past 5 years. The only different thing is that they move this one scary dude around a few times a year.

EDIT: Check that. I don't want to sound like an idiot. Dr. Doom was new a couple years ago. Not a big deal though. Same things year after year.
Message updated 10/2/2006 1:56:13 PM by Hercules
taylorb251

10/2/2006 2:20:14 PM
I hope Dorney is good since this is my big halloween trip. Not really my idea, it was my brother in-laws.
PhantomNik

10/3/2006 4:05:04 PM
Well, I am totally with some of you, as I absolutely LOVE going to parks for their Halloween events! There's nothing quite like strolling around a park on a crisp fall night, getting scared crazy and catching those last great rides of the season on your favorite coasters!

I have been to a few, and I must say proudly that my home park of Kennywood blows the doors off of any others I have visited! Phantom Fright Nights is fantastic, as they totally transform the entire park. Fog is everywhere, and there are creatures hiding all over ready to make you wet yourself!

I would totally recommend the event to anyone strolling through Western PA during a weekend in October. I've actually assembled a big group and we're heading down on Friday the 13th, appropriately enough. I can't wait!!

--------------------
I'd rather be coaster riding!
Hercules

10/3/2006 4:42:18 PM
I was pretty disappointed all around with the event at BGW(E). I kind of thought that they would do a better job of transforming the park. There were a lot of areas that were just the same as a regular visit.

I have to say though, I did get over my fear of haunted houses, which is nice because now I can enjoy the fall weather and the halloween stuff at parks now.
taylorb251

10/3/2006 6:05:33 PM
I went to Phantom Fright Night last year and I love it. It is my second best Halloween night.
coaster05

10/3/2006 6:18:47 PM
Phantom Fright Nights is currently my favorite, but I got florida in two weeks.
taylorb251

10/3/2006 10:55:32 PM
I wish, I was going to florida. Maybe next year.
Message updated 10/4/2006 2:32:16 PM by taylorb251
skierman

10/25/2006 5:54:24 PM
Lake Compounce by far. Their Haunted Graveyars is great, and as ibluv said, BoulderDash at night is amazing as well...

SFNE's frighfest is lacking this year. They have about... 3 people walking around scaring you all day, a lot less than when they first opened. Kind of a waste.
mrceagle

10/26/2006 12:13:46 PM
Quote:
skierman said:
Lake Compounce by far. Their Haunted Graveyars is great, and as ibluv said, BoulderDash at night is amazing as well...

SFNE's frighfest is lacking this year. They have about... 3 people walking around scaring you all day, a lot less than when they first opened. Kind of a waste.

SFNE's Fright fest has been going downhill since 2000. There were a few Good additions like the area 51 change over for Rockville. but other then that the quality, amount to see and do, and people around the park has dropped. The only thing that in any ways saves the attraction in my mind is the shows. there shows are better During frightfest then any other part of the year.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it until it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
ibluv

10/26/2006 12:57:09 PM
Quote:
skierman said:

Then I guess I didn't miss much by not going up there. I've never been to SFNE during Frightfest, and unless I hear it's become worthwhile I won't waste my time.

This has been the best year ever for the Haunted Graveyard. The mansion at the end is like 3 times bigger than it was last year. It's now totally enclosed with more rooms, more characters and some of the gorriest scenery imaginable. (The bathtub full of blood was my favorite...)
The guy with the chainsaw in the kitchen jumped out at my friend and scared so much living s*** out of her that she actually wet her pants!

BobFunland

10/27/2006 10:19:29 AM
IOA had the best event, but I think I had more fun at Magic Kingdom's event.
coaster05

10/27/2006 11:22:44 AM
I found all three in florida to be amzing for different reasons. IOA was visually amazing, Magic Kingdom was good ol fashioned fun, and Busch felt more traditional. they all rule.
mrceagle

10/29/2006 9:08:27 PM
Quote:
ibluv said:
Then I guess I didn't miss much by not going up there. I've never been to SFNE during Frightfest, and unless I hear it's become worthwhile I won't waste my time.

This has been the best year ever for the Haunted Graveyard. The mansion at the end is like 3 times bigger than it was last year. It's now totally enclosed with more rooms, more characters and some of the gorriest scenery imaginable. (The bathtub full of blood was my favorite...)
The guy with the chainsaw in the kitchen jumped out at my friend and scared so much living s*** out of her that she actually wet her pants!

I'm glad you had a great time at the haunted graveyard. i was talking to some one the other day that didn't think it was as good as the last few years. Must have caught them on a bad day. The extreme rain all morning may have been part of the problem.

Ya SFNE's Fright fest isn't anything great unless you into shows.
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics