Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Park Souvenirs
Canobie Coaster

12/17/2005 1:50:19 PM
After visiting many parks, I noticed some had good souvenirs, while others had bad ones. Share your opinions on park souvenirs here. Excludes the prizes from games.
Message updated 12/17/2005 1:54:16 PM by Canobie Coaster
coaster05

12/17/2005 1:53:59 PM
Knoebels is the best of the private parks I have seen.
Canobie Coaster

12/17/2005 2:04:39 PM
I will rank the parks on a scale of 1 (worst) to 5 (best).

Canobie Lake Park- 3 (Nice Shirts, But Few Shops)

Dorney Park- 5 (Many giant gift shops with toys, plush, shirts, sweaters, hats, and Snoopy/Peanuts items)

Dutch Wonderland- 5 (Nicely organized, full of family-friendly gifts, soft plushes, royal play items, clothing)

Funtown U.S.A.- 5 (Excellent park photos, Medieval items (swords, shields, all authentic, shirts, sweaters, stationery)

Hersheypark- 5 (Many gift shops, various items, excellent shirts)

Knoebels- 5 (Tons of different gifts, nice shirts, stationery)

Lake Compounce- 4 (One great gift shop with many sweaters, shirts, hats, and stationery)

Magic Forest (NY)- 1 (I didn't find any gift shops)

Palace Playland- 1 (Only a gift shop with nothing relating to the park that sells overpriced figurines)

Quassy- 2 (One small gift shop with a few shirts, hats, and stationery)

Santa's Village (NH)- 3 (A nice gift shop with coloring books, shirts, Christmas items, and more)

Six Flags New England (Riverside when I went)- 1 (Very poor selection with only a few very overpriced shirts)

Story Land (NH)- 4 (Story Land has one big gift shop with many park souvenirs including hats, shirts, sweaters, magnets, postcards, and more)

The Great Escape- 2 (They had a few gift shops, but I only liked a few of their nice Comet shirts)

Walt Disney World- 5 (Disney has the best selection of souvenirs with photos, plushes, hats, shirts, sweaters, stationery, toys, dress-up attire, and much more)

York's Wild Kingdom- 2 (An animal themed gift shop with animal plushes, shirts, figurines, and more)
Message updated 12/18/2005 7:20:21 AM by Canobie Coaster
coaster05

12/17/2005 4:23:46 PM
^what is that. If it is a rating with 5 being good I have no idea what you found at funtown
mrceagle

12/17/2005 4:30:38 PM
King that is very confusing.

anyways as far as parks with good souviners:
Canobie
Lake Compounce
SFOG
BGW
Disney

Middle of the road:
Santa's Village
Story land

Pore souviners:
SFNE (not much to offer and stock items sold thougout the company)
coaster05

12/17/2005 4:34:25 PM
MRC I agree with Disney obviously, BGW and SFOG were also very good. Your other two I would put in a slightly lower catergory since I had trouble finding a shirt at either. I will give props to Canobie for having cheaper shirts when i was there.
BobFunland

12/17/2005 4:40:18 PM
***** - excellent selection and quality
Cedar Point
Dorney Park
Dollywood
Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios Florida

**** - good but not quite great
Busch Gardens Tampa
Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum
Hersheypark
Knoebels
Lake Compounce
Sea-World San Diego
Six Flags Great Adventure
Six Flags Over Georgia

*** - parks I generally had trouble finding things I liked
Disney-MGM Studios
Lake Winnepesaukah Amusement Park
Magic Kingdom
Six Flags Astroworld
Six Flags Magic Mountain
Six Flags New England
Stone Mountain Park

** - mostly generic stuff, not worth my time/money
Camp Snoopy Mall of America
Conneaut Lake Park
Myrtle Beach Pavilion
Paramount's Canada's Wonderland
Paramount's Carowinds
Paramount's Kings Dominion
Six Flags Darien Lake

* - a whole new level of suckiness
Belmont Park
Martin's Fantasy Island
Visionland's Magic Adventure Theme Park

0 - not applicable/no souvenirs in my memory
American Adventures
Hoffman's Playland

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 12/17/2005 4:41:18 PM by BobFunland
larrygator

12/17/2005 5:01:32 PM
Souvenirs - I'd have to say Magic Kingdom is the best because they have so many characters to work with. I also love Cedar Point's selection Knoebels has great selection and prices. I generally don't buy much but I love BGT and BGW merchandise and as an aside they even have unique merchandise not branded with the park that can be given for gifts. I liked the same thing about Stone Mountain and of course Dollywood (shopping, not themed merchandise). However, I was upset that BGW did not have the type of hat I wanted with an Apollo's Chariot logo.

Lake Compounce had many items but the Boulder Dash logo is horrible.

I was never a big fan of SFGAdv merchandising but with the advent of The Golden Kingdom there has been a huge upgrade.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
Message updated 12/17/2005 5:02:42 PM by larrygator
coaster05

12/17/2005 7:56:14 PM
Bob trouble at MGM the tower of terror gift shop gets me everytime. That is the only place i buy from though at MGM
mrceagle

12/17/2005 8:12:02 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
MRC I agree with Disney obviously, BGW and SFOG were also very good. Your other two I would put in a slightly lower catergory since I had trouble finding a shirt at either. I will give props to Canobie for having cheaper shirts when i was there.

Were you trying to find a specific shirt or were you having trouble finding them in general.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
coaster05

12/17/2005 8:20:17 PM
I of course wanted one themed to cannonball. They had a couple nice shirts but I ended up with the 3 for 25 from the shop by boston tea party. Man that area and ride is sweet.
mrceagle

12/18/2005 3:35:31 AM
Ya the Fife and Drum Gift Shop is the best one to hit. I have a shirt for Cannonball, Turkish twist, Starblaster, Corkscrew, and BTP. I have also picked up many other things at that shop. I would however like to see them add a couple more rides to that area.
Canobie Coaster

12/18/2005 7:23:27 AM
I have gotten a Yankee Cannonball shirt at Canobie, but I grew out of it 4 years ago. When I went this year, I really wanted a StarBlaster shirt. Next year I'll try the Fife and Drum Gift Shop and look for one.:smile
coaster05

12/18/2005 9:50:09 AM
Yoshi I got a cannonball shirt, but it was far from what i had hoped, however the price was right. Funtown IMO had the worst gift shop I have seen. It looked like they used the same ordering as Conneaut Lake.

MRC I think not only should they add rides to that area I think they should expand that area to encompass more of the park. I lnow heading toward Davinchis has a more classic feel, but going back toward corkscrew I think they could add a more colonial feel. I didn't really feel that area like I did Boston.
mrceagle

12/18/2005 1:16:57 PM
The only good Gift show at Funtown was the small one by Excalibure. Good Stuff for the coaster including coaster peices.

I'ma bit anoyed that when they refaced the old skatign rink they didn't spend a little extra money and use fack brick as aposed to the Vynle Siding they put on it. I have been buging them to put an indoor coaster of Dark ride into that buildign for a few years now. I think the Cantina shoudl be rebuild to fit the boston them. the building is so large you could have a better food stall and have enough room on the oper lever for a couple famly rides by the kiddie area. or a light family ocaster.

The Clasic area by DiVinci's Dream is Jockenly an Italian Themed area. I whish they would fallow Though with it. Reface the Aarcade building to better Fit an Italion look and add a couple rides. the Catipiler works to a point.
mrceagle

12/18/2005 1:17:17 PM
The only good Gift show at Funtown was the small one by Excalibure. Good Stuff for the coaster including coaster peices.

I'ma bit anoyed that when they refaced the old skatign rink they didn't spend a little extra money and use fack brick as aposed to the Vynle Siding they put on it. I have been buging them to put an indoor coaster of Dark ride into that buildign for a few years now. I think the Cantina shoudl be rebuild to fit the boston them. the building is so large you could have a better food stall and have enough room on the oper lever for a couple famly rides by the kiddie area. or a light family ocaster.

The Clasic area by DiVinci's Dream is Jockenly an Italian Themed area. I whish they would fallow Though with it. Reface the Aarcade building to better Fit an Italion look and add a couple rides. the Catipiler works to a point.
coaster05

12/18/2005 1:50:32 PM
I thought all gift shops at Funtown l
reeked of white trash. even the magnet I bought looks themed from the 80's.

Hershey also has tons of good souvenirs
mrceagle

12/19/2005 2:24:58 AM
I agree the main store at Funtown was that way. I normaly Found the Excalibure one fine. But then I havn't been back to the park in 2 years.
Canobie Coaster

12/19/2005 6:41:46 AM
You only found one gift shop at Funtown? I found two main gift shops and a few small stands. The Excalibur Gift Shop is amazing with authentic Medieval items, comfy sweaters, nice Funtown and Excalibur related shirts, snow and water globes, pens, pencils, rulers, coloring books, and authentic pieces of Excalibur's structure. I found all their gift shops very clean, and they had friendly staff. The other gift shop was gigantic, had everything from Excalibur's gift shop (except Medieval items and pieces of Excalibur's structure), and more.
coaster05

12/19/2005 4:53:03 PM
Both shops had pieces of the ride, but the shirts were god awful. I have almost 30 park shirts so it is not like I am particular and I did not even consider a shirt there. I mean it is great that you liked it, but from my view it was one of the worst. BTW Idid think the coloring books were a unique touch.

BTW comfy sweaters I found funny and I don't know why. Maybe the idea of a guy going to a business party with his excalibur sweater with a turtleneck on underneath.
mrceagle

12/19/2005 8:35:00 PM
Ya that dose sound a little off

anyways teh Shirt I have Shows the Lift will. with Down/Dust colorign in teh back ground and a Night in the forground. the shirt has Glow in the dark over towns as well. Is that shirt no longer offered?

I hate the large gift shop on the other end of the park .most of what they had was pointless and things I coudl pick uo anywere.
Canobie Coaster

12/20/2005 5:58:35 AM
At Funtown, the sweater I got was an Excalibur shirt that had a knight in armor standing in front of the coaster. It was very nice. Also, I bought a small piece of Excalibur's structure last time I went.

Just curious, how many gift shops does Lake Compounce have? I know they have the one near Wildcat's entrance, but I don't know of any others.
coaster05

12/20/2005 1:59:25 PM
Not many at compounce and I would rate their overall souvenir selection as pretty poor.
mrceagle

12/20/2005 2:53:03 PM
Yes they are.

But for Suveners from Funtown. I also hve a Brocken Clutch pin and a removed Chain dog from Excaliber. My brother has a seat belt and intac Clutch pin and we both have the structure peices.
thinkdif

12/21/2005 8:14:12 PM
Best park for souvenirs is BGW. Tons of authentic art, cool tees, and everything fits with the mood of the park
larrygator

12/22/2005 9:51:14 AM
Quote:
thinkdif said:
Best park for souvenirs is BGW. Tons of authentic art, cool tees, and everything fits with the mood of the park

Except I could not buy a bucket hat with the Apollo's Chariot logo.
coaster05

12/22/2005 11:04:50 AM
I agree with BGW but i hated the Apoilo souvenirs, but everything else was good.
mrceagle

12/22/2005 6:25:25 PM
can't say much about there presant solection when I went back in 91 they had a really good solection.
Canobie Coaster

1/3/2006 5:45:12 AM
Busch Gardens appears from videos to always have excellent souvenirs. Are they expensive like the park's admission prices?
Scott

1/12/2006 7:24:59 PM
Bump
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics