Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Six Flags Ride Names
Canobie Coaster

10/26/2005 7:44:49 PM
Do you like how Six Flags names most their rides after each other, like the Mind Eraser, Superman the Ride of Steel, Superman Ultimate Flight, Medusa, Boomerang, Batman the Ride, and more.

I hate it as each ride doesn't have its very own identity. I like many different unique names.
Hercules

10/26/2005 8:52:59 PM
Hmmm, I wonder where you got this great idea for a thread from

Anyway, I will respond since I have some thoughts on the matter. I normally don't mind, but in the case of Goliath I think it is a little crazy. They are both in the same year and both B&M mega coasters. That is a little too far for me. I used to be big on different names so that coaster could have their own kind of identity, but as long as the ride is different and offers something cool I don't really have that big of a problem with it. Plus, you can only go so far with unique and different names until they start to sound really ridiculous.

We also had the same type of conversation somewhere in here...

http://www.themeparkcritic.com/Forums/ViewTopic.asp?TopicID=135898&ForumKey=16

Canobie Coaster

10/27/2005 6:05:47 AM
Sorry.
mrceagle

10/28/2005 12:21:33 AM
I personaly don't like it when it's over done. I two hat eth efact there naming the two coaster the same neme.

I understand whay a company woudl use the same name. THe name might be assitiated wit teh company or The expensive Copyright gets more worth. But there has to be a limmit to the use.
larrygator

10/29/2005 4:27:03 PM
Quote:
mrceagle said:
I two hat eth efact there naming the two coaster the same neme.

I was going to say the same but didn't know quite how to phrase it.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
mrceagle

10/30/2005 10:16:52 PM
Thing is a new name and story woudl help this smaller coaster stand on its own.
coasterwom

5/6/2006 1:11:14 AM
I don't like how they use the same names for coasters at Six Flags parks but Cedar Fair did the same thing at Geauga Lake recently.
mrceagle

5/6/2006 1:58:44 PM
And so dose PAramount, Disney, etc. It's becomign an anoying trend.
Animan1

5/6/2006 11:18:12 PM
You know, have you guys ever noticed that when you build rides on RCT or another simulation, you do get to a point when you realize that many of the names you think of for a new ride have already been taken by another ride that you designed? There's only so many "cool" names out there, I generally give the parks credit for continuing to come up with unique names as they do. And while some are certainly more overdone than others (i.e. Goliath) I think they do a damn good job overall. Positive thinking guys, why not look on the bright side of things for a change?
mrceagle

5/7/2006 10:44:00 PM
I don't know I can name my rides anythign I like and not have to wory about offending anyone. so I don't have that problem.

But I wish they woudl try to be a little bit more creative.
no cars go

5/8/2006 9:51:47 PM
I think that it is kind of annoying how Six Flags uses their names over. You always have to state the park also (ex. Great Chase @ SFA). I used to really dislike it but after reading Animan's post that influenced my opinion a little. I think it is okay to an extent, but then it just becomes old.
mrceagle

5/8/2006 10:03:25 PM
it's not bad if they have a few at the same name. But by addign a catch fraise you coudl at least make it a little deforence. Teh Scorcher name was great at SFOG. yet they don't use that any more.
Animan1

5/9/2006 2:20:08 PM
Ok, I am going to do a little demonstration here. Below are the names of all the coasters at the parks with "Six Flags" in their name located in the U.S. (Except for SFNO, since it is SBNO; I didn't do any coasters that were unnamed or SBNO either.) At the end, I will count up how many repeats there are, include how many parks that name can be found at, and summarize these results for you all, just to make things easy.

So, in alphabetical order, we start with:

Six Flags America

Batwing
Great Chase
Joker's Jinx
Mind Eraser
Roar
Superman: Ride of Steel
Two- Face: The Flip Side
Wild One

Six Flags Darien Lake

Boomerang Coast to Coaster
Brain Teaser
Mind Eraser
Predator
Viper

Six Flags Elitch Gardens

Boomerang
Flying Coaster
Great Chase
Half Pipe
Mind Eraser
Sidewinder
Twister II

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Boomerang
Poltergeist
Rattler
Road Runner Express
Rollschuhcoaster
Superman Krypton Coaster

Six Flags Great Adventure

Batman and Robin: The Chiller
Batman The Ride
Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
El Toro
Great American Scream Machine
Kingda Ka
Medusa
Nitro
Road Runner Railway
Rolling Thunder
Runaway Mine Train
Skull Mountain
Superman Ultimate Flight

Six Flags Great America

American Eagle
Batman The Ride
Deja Vu
Demon
Iron Wolf
Ragin' Cajun
Raging Bull
Spaceley's Sprocket Rockets
Superman Ultimate Flight
Vertical Velocity
Viper
Whizzer

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

Chang
Greezed Lightnin'
Road Runner Express
Roller Skater
T2
Thunder Run
Twisted Twins

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Batman The Ride
Canyon Blaster
Colossus
Deja Vu
Gold Rusher
Goliath
Ninja
Psyclone
Revolution
Riddler's Revenge
Scream!
Superman The Escape
Tatsu
Viper
X

Six Flags Marine World

Boomerang
Cobra
Greased Lightnin'
Kong
Medusa
Roadrunner Express
Roar
V2: Vertical Velocity
Zonga

Six Flags New England

Batman: The Dark Knight
Cyclone
Flashback
Great Chase
Mind Eraser
Pandemonium
Poison Ivy's Twisted Train
Thunderbolt

Six Flags Over Georgia

Batman The Ride
Dahlonega Mine Train
Deja Vu
Georgia Cyclone
Georgia Scorcher
Goliath
Great American Scream Machine
Mind Bender
Ninja
Superman Ultimate Flight
Wile E. Coyote Canyon Blaster

Six Flags over Texas

Batman The Ride
Flashback
Judge Roy Scream
La Vibora
Mine Train
Mini Mine Train
Mr. Freeze
Runaway Mountain
Shockwave
Texas Giant
Titan
Wile E. Coyote's Grand Canyon Blaster

Six Flags St. Louis

Batman The Ride
Boss
Mr. Freeze
Ninja
River King Mine Train
Rockin' Roller
Screamin' Eagle

There, finished. So, how many repeats does that add up to? By my count, there are 20 repeats. The counts are:

Mind Eraser - 4
Roar - 2
Superman: Ride of Steel - 3
Boomerang - 4
Great Chase - 2
Road Runner Express (or Railway) - 4
Viper - 3
Superman Ultimate Flight - 3
Medusa - 2
Great American Scream Machine - 2
Batman The Ride - 6
Deja Vu - 3
V2 - 2
Greezed Lightnin' - 2
Canyon Blaster (or Wile E. Coyote's) - 3
Goliath - 2
Ninja - 2
Flashback - 2
Mr. Freeze - 2
Mine Train (not including regional flavors of this title, i.e. Dahlonega Mine Train) - 2

By my count, this adds up to a total of 55 repeats out of 122 total coasters. So while that is a fair number, SF also has more parks than any other major "coaster chain" out there (for instance, Disney may have more parks, I'm not sure, but they don't really specialize in coasters). Another thing to consider is that many of those coaster names that are repeated are clones (i.e. Batman The Ride, Deja Vu, Superman Ultimate Flight). In the case of the Boomerang, almost every park calls their Vekoma Boomerang a Boomerang, so you can't just get on SF's case for that. In closing, I don't know if this long and tiresome post helped to convince<
Message updated 5/9/2006 2:49:37 PM by Animan1
Hercules

5/9/2006 3:06:28 PM
And the reason that there are so many DC Comics and Looney Toons characters is because Six Flags has the rights to use those those names, which is why they use them so much.

I just had to say that because I know that someone will say something about how there are so many Superman rides out there, even if they don't have the exact same names.
Animan1

5/9/2006 5:34:12 PM
Yep, thanks Herc. That goes for Batman too, as well as Superman.

I'm not saying that SF is the most creative chain out there when it comes ot naming their rides. If I had to pick, I would actually say that Busch is best when it comes to that. However, I just think that jumping on yet another category where some SF bashing can be done is unnecessary and, in this case, unfair. They are far from the only chain that reuses names, as some others pointed out earlier.
mrceagle

5/9/2006 9:05:13 PM
There si nothign stopign SFI from usign other DC comic characters. why not a Flash Hyper or launch coaster. be a little more creative.

If you add in the none flaged Properys SFI owns that number will go up.
Animan1

5/9/2006 11:00:49 PM
Umm, which number, mrc, there were quite a few of them in my post. As for being more creative with the DC characters, Superman and Batman may be overdone, but they are also the most recognizable. And unless I am completely missing the point and do not deserve to be a psychology major like I am, people enjoy experiencing things that have a theme they are familiar with.
larrygator

5/10/2006 12:16:04 AM
Batman and Superman are the most recognizable but is is nice to have some rides/coasters named after the villains also
Hercules

5/10/2006 12:59:29 AM
DC names that are not Superman or Batman -

Joker's Jinx
Two Face: The Flip Side
Riddler's Revenge
Poison Ivy's Twisted Train
Mr. Freeze

They are out there, just not in the same quantity. I guess maybe the Robin side of Chiller could count as one too. I call a lot of it on clones, but yes it would be nice to use different names. However, I do have to agree that Batman and Superman are the most recognizable, and that is definately why they are used. It does get kind of weird when there are two "Batman" rides in a park though. That kind of takes away from it. But as long as that kind of thing doesn't happen too often, I don't really see a problem in too many parks.
mrceagle

5/10/2006 11:11:37 AM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
Umm, which number, mrc, there were quite a few of them in my post. As for being more creative with the DC characters, Superman and Batman may be overdone, but they are also the most recognizable. And unless I am completely missing the point and do not deserve to be a psychology major like I am, people enjoy experiencing things that have a theme they are familiar with.

La Ronda, TGE, Fronter City, etc. There are Boonerangs, Flashbacks, canyoon Blasters, etc. The totals.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
Animan1

5/10/2006 12:34:03 PM
^ So what you're saying is that I should have included those parks in order to make the totals look more like you wanted them to, negative for SF? Yeah, right, I'll be sure to do that next time. I used rcdb for my lists, and I didn't want to go through the hassle or trouble of having to look up all the official SF parks as well as the "non-flagged" parks. Sorry if this did not work out in your favor, but then again, I was trying to prove my point, not yours.
primogen18

5/10/2006 1:02:10 PM
La Ronde even has a Goliath: Ride Of Steel
Hercules

5/10/2006 3:37:52 PM
Besides, I think it was stated that just about everywhere calls their boomerangs "Boomerang" or Zoomerang.

And I know that it as mentioned before, but it was merely mentioned and nothing else. Why is Six Flags being thrown under the bus? What about the Cedar Fairs of the world? Wildwater Kingdom... Thunderhawk... Whitewater Landing... Should I go on? What about the Paramounts of the world? Grizzly... Italian Job (whatever)... Flight of Fear... Should I go on? What about the Disneys of the world?... I think you get the point. It was mentioned, but it seems like this really turned into a Six Flags bashing thing, and I'm not going to stand for it.

--------------------
"I could never design another ride like Hercules." - Curtis Summers

Message updated 5/10/2006 3:41:26 PM by Hercules
larrygator

5/10/2006 5:13:32 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
^ So what you're saying is that I should have included those parks in order to make the totals look more like you wanted them to, negative for SF? Yeah, right, I'll be sure to do that next time. I used rcdb for my lists, and I didn't want to go through the hassle or trouble of having to look up all the official SF parks as well as the "non-flagged" parks. Sorry if this did not work out in your favor, but then again, I was trying to prove my point, not yours.

If you had included them he would have bitched that they don't use the Batman and Superman names because they are not flagged

--------------------
My signature has been hijacked!

Poop happens! That's why man invented toilet paper.
Animan1

5/10/2006 6:18:14 PM
Herc - My point exactly, I actually thought about doing the same thing I did for SF for another chain, but I didn't feel like taking the time to do it. The SF one was tiring enough.

larry - My sentiments precisely, once again. You can't win when you argue with mrceagle, even if you're right, because he will always have some oddball reason or another as to why his position is correct. And when all else fails, he says that he will improve his typing and wishes that everyone would get off of his case.
mrceagle

5/10/2006 6:41:42 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:

No point of what I just stated was a complain about SFI. Herc much have missed the post were I mentioned that other chains like Cp and Disney use the same names. It simply would have given a more accurate number. the number were all that needed to be posted.

Quote:
llarry gater:
If you had included them he would have bitched that they don't use the Batman and Superman names because they are not flagged

I don't want to see DC characters at the none flaged parks. LA roda have a feeling of its own so dose TGE. They should try to expand on what they have not change it.
Hercules

5/11/2006 2:38:12 AM
Quote:
Hercules said:
Besides, I think it was stated that just about everywhere calls their boomerangs "Boomerang" or Zoomerang.

And I know that it as mentioned before, but it was merely mentioned and nothing else. Why is Six Flags being thrown under the bus? What about the Cedar Fairs of the world? Wildwater Kingdom... Thunderhawk... Whitewater Landing... Should I go on? What about the Paramounts of the world? Grizzly... Italian Job (whatever)... Flight of Fear... Should I go on? What about the Disneys of the world?... I think you get the point. It was mentioned, but it seems like this really turned into a Six Flags bashing thing, and I'm not going to stand for it.

Actually mrceagle, no, I didn't miss what you said. Read that post. I clearly state that it was mentioned, but it was only mentioned and nothing was elaborated on it because I know that you, and a couple of others, just wanted to bash on Six Flags.
BobFunland

5/11/2006 3:32:04 AM
Quote:
mrceagle said:
llarry gater:

<<-- laughing out loud

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Animan1

5/11/2006 11:23:05 AM
^ Yeah, I saw that one too, I found it quite amusing as well. Not quite as good as the boonerangs or canyoon blasters from a few posts before though.

mrc - It is pointless to argue with you about this, and indeed, anything SF-related. When we confront you about bashing SF all the time, you say that you aren't and that we are getting on your case. When we say nothing about it, you keep ripping them until we say something. The whole thing just goes around in circles and gets nowhere. And as Herc pointed out, we read your post earlier about other chains using repeat names. But you never elaborated on that and in your next couple of posts, you were back to whining again. And although you may not have said "SF sucks in this area" in this case, you've said so enough in numerous discussions that I think we all know that that's what you mean.

BTW - I think you spell-checked your last post, so although there were several instances of words being used in the wrong context, it still made it easier to read. Thanks.
mrceagle

5/13/2006 6:40:07 PM
Yes My new Browser FireFox has the Google toolbar and spell check. I've been trying to spell check each post.

I can see shy any park would use a nae again. if you hold copyright on a name its a solid yet intangible asset. If your the only one that can use that name Why not use it. The question is when is it time to stop. I don't think I'm the only one wanted then to use more varied names. I didn't start the post. I'm not the only person posting here. I guess one question is If Disney, CF, or Kennywood, owned this many parks how many rides would have the same name?
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics