Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Knoebels..
BobFunland

9/4/2005 1:56:20 AM
... of the south

(Hey, whatever it takes to get people to read my TRs. If you stick around long enough there are some nice, rare flats and an old PTC Carrousel )

So yes, I finally made it up to Lake Winnepesaukah, or as most smart people would say, "Lake Winnie". For some reason, I can actually pronounce the name of the park, whereas most have to subject themselves to the abbreviated form, and the only reason I point that out is because I have a terrible time pronouncing things usually. OK, back to the TR/pics/hoping somebody continues to read after they realize this particular TR isn't from Elysburg. Still waiting... and waiting... ah, there we go, the room is cleared, I can get down to business

About a week ago, I was out in the pool trying to relax. My step father came out of nowhere and said that we should go back to Lake Winnie. He's lived in Georgia his whole life and never heard of the place until I suggested that we stop last year coming home from Dollywood. Well, on today's trip the park was actually open, and I had company so finally, I was able to visit Lake Winnie. Don't worry Nathan, you can still "accompany" me if you come down here, I'd love to go back and missed one important ride. Enough of that, on to the pics and stuff that matters!

We arrived around noon after stopping in Tenenssee for gas at the "cheap" price of $2.75. Yippee! I proudly walked into the park and we made our way to the end of the lake. For those that don't know, the park is formed around three sides of the lake, comparable to a "U", with the entrance being near the bottom right hand corner of the "U". We went on the Scrambler first since those are among my favorites. It was ok, nothing more, nothing less.

Next to the Scrambler is the Wacky Worm, a Preston kiddie coaster with a max drop of about 10 feet. What's nice about it is that my mom was posessed to go on it. It ws her first coaster in 10 years and probably the first credit-whore type of ride that I've been on in ages. I usually skip them but didnt want to pass up the opprotunity for her to ride.

Next up was the Antique cars back in the woods, which featured a good ride but poor vehicles. This ended up being a rarity though.

We then hit the Carousel, PTC #39 which originally opened in 1916 at Lakewood Park in Atlanta and was relocated to Lake Winnie in '67. Here you go adriahna:

I'll elaborate in my review. From there we grabbed a quick bite for lunch. This is where my memory comes back in from Knoebels: the food was pretty cheap, and best of all was the HUGE selection:

For $17 we picked up two souvenir cups, a medium coke, chili cheese nachos, a corndog and onion rings, and 8 of those dollars went to the souvenir mugs. Good deal if you ask me, especially when you equate the variety in there.

We then headed to Castle, their dark ride. It was pretty good, not quite as good as Knoebels, but it still has its strengths. I'm proud to say that this truck didn't get me (and thats not a spoiler you can hear the horn from outside the building anyways)

At that point we headed over towards Cannonball. My mom, in here bravery, wanted me to try out the mouse to see if she would like it. My answer: no. This was an L&T mouse and I pretty much only ride mice when its a new company. This one kinda stunk, the laterals were strong but a bit too strong. There weren't any great drops either, though they did run it with limited trimming so that's nice.
Message updated 5/11/2012 12:30:49 AM by BobFunland
*FreeBird*

9/4/2005 12:00:56 PM
That was uncalled for!!!
adriahna

Skooter Junkie
9/4/2005 12:38:58 PM
Great review, Bob - I've wanted to visit Winnie for a looooong time now, and this was a real treat to see the park just a bit closer-up. The carousel is wonderful, and yes, overall, Winnie seems to have the same vintage, small-town feel of Knoebels. Which, by the way, I'll be visiting for the final round of summer next weekend - I can't wait...
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics