Home > Forums > Site Help > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Tutorial: Image Posting Help
BobFunland

8/17/2005 11:06:13 PM
To fulfil a request, I will explain what can and cannot be used image wise in the forums, and do so in a probably boring fashion but if you want to know please keep reading.

First off, I will explain some computer geek stuff. Whenever a file (including an image, plus videos, webpages and other good stuff) is transfered from a server (internet storage space) to a person's computer, that file transfer eats up what is called bandwidth. Bandwidth is measure in terms of file size: say a person posts an image that is 100KB in size, everytime someone loads that page, 100KB is "charged" to their account. Most, if not all, hosting services charge you for the bandwidth according to the amount used, and usually for a flat fee you get a set amount of bandwidth that you can use, and anything more than that will cost you extra money.

This is where the "stealing" comes into play: you are basically stealing a chunk of that person's allotted file transfer and using it without his permission. This is a sizeable concern for webmasters nowadays. I recently talked to Graham Brooks, the guy who runs Florida Thrills and BGTGuide to see what to expect as far as bandwidth with the construction site, since he just went through a busy year with SheiKra, and he said that his biggest problem with bandwidth was image leeching.

Not only is it morally wrong, it's actually listed as a possible cause to be banned here at TPC, from the FAQs:

-----

1.1.0. What will get my post deleted and/or get me banned?.

# Bandwidth Leaching - Don't post other sites images within the content of the site. Either upload the image to your own personal server or use a HTML hyperlink.

-----

Some sites allow you to leech photos, whether they are personal photo gallery sites (like my Smugmug or any of numerus sorts) or free sites, such as ImageShack, which is what I use when I am lazy. Your ISP (RoadRunner, Comcast, BellSouth for example) probably gives you space as well, which you can use since you paid for it.

A good reference guide can be found here under the Images section.

To use one of the free services like ImageShack or any other site, simply right click on the image you want, go down to 'Save Image As' (in Mozilla) or 'Save Picture As' (in Intenet Explorer and other IE-based browsers) and save it somewhere easy to find on your computer, I usually save directly to the desktop. Once you have done that, edit the photo if desired (an optional stage, but preferable if the image is move than 100KB or more than 800 x 600), and then go to your desired upload server and upload it. Then, you find the source of the image: Mozilla users Right-Click and then hit 'Copy Image Location', IE users need to Right-click, hit 'Properties' and then copy the address given (the http part). After that is done, you are ready to post. Just hit the 'Image' button, Paste the location in there (hitting the 'Control' button followed by the 'V' button works quickest) and once you submit it should be posted successfully.

This may be briefer if you care:
http://sfog.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=352&st=0&#entry4031

Any questions?
Message updated 8/17/2005 11:07:59 PM by BobFunland
coasterSS

8/18/2005 2:49:51 PM
One from me, so if I save the photo to my computer and then upload it to image shack, then I will be able to post pics?
BobFunland

8/18/2005 3:24:11 PM
Yep.
coasterSS

8/18/2005 3:44:02 PM
Okay, cool! Thanks for explaining that! Maybe I won't be a moron any more.
PhantomNik

8/25/2005 12:31:38 PM
Ok Bob, I got a question related to this. I recently got a digital camera (at last!), and I recently tested it out on a trip to Kennywood. I have transfered the pics to my home pc (all jpegs). Let's say at some point I want to post a trip report and sprinkle in photos, like Cyclonic does. How would I do that? Would I have to go through some other program first to post them? Lord knows when I'd get the time to sit down and post a good trip report, but just a curiosity.

On a side note, when I am on the message boards now, my Avatar doesn't show up. It's just a little "x" where it used to be. Do you have any idea what would have caused that, and is there a way for it to show up again? (Sorry that last part is a bit off topic) Thanks!

--------------------
I'd rather be coaster riding!
BobFunland

8/25/2005 11:18:33 PM
I would think the best option for that would be to use a site like Photo Bucket or Yahoo! Photos. You can create galleries for your photos and upload a bunch. Or, you could pay for a service like Cyclonic and myself do, such as SmugMug which I speak on behalf of Nathan and say that we would both reccomend the site if you wanted to go the pay-site path.

As for your Avatar, I don't know why it's not showing up. Mark/ThmPrkCrtc's avatar doesnt show up either, and a large portion of the site's photos have disappeared as well, so there's a bug somewhere out there.

If you have any more Q's just ask
Jackson001

5/30/2022 8:17:36 AM
When posting an image on your website, there are a variety of important options you should consider in order to ensure your image looks great. Let's check https://masterbundles.com/roses-svg-images/ and to learn more new tips on images editing. Masterbundle photoshop is the best editing software. Most website visitors need to be able to see the images you post. In today's article, I'm going to walk you through everything you need to know when posting images on a website.
Jackson001

3/26/2024 5:51:07 AM
Whether you're sharing health tips or promoting borderfreehealth medications, we've got you covered. Our expert team ensures seamless image uploads, enhancing your online presence effortlessly. From medication visuals to informative graphics, we prioritize clarity and impact. With our user-friendly platform, you can confidently showcase your content, reaching audiences far and wide. Experience the convenience of image posting support tailored to your needs, right here.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics