Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Geauga Lake not living up
Scott

8/10/2005 11:48:16 PM
Quote:

Going into their second year running the park, Cedar Fair admits that Geauga Lake still isn’t living up to expectations according to this article:
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/business/12290355.htm

It seems that cheaper prices, new management, and even a new waterpark just are not enough to drive tourists to the park. What are they lacking?

According to Cedar Fair CEO Dick Kinzel, they underestimated the drawing power and impact of no longer having animals at the park, not giving enough credit to what SeaWorld had done when they created the park.

Guest comments frequently complain about the park isn’t worth visiting any more now that the animals are gone. They are not defeated however and think that eventually the public will embrace the new Geauga Lake and forget about the legacy of Shamu.

I've thought all along that CF purchasing GL and closing the Sea World side was a bad idea. I originally gave them 5 years before they closed the park and moved the rides to other Cedar Fair properties.

I think it would be better to shut the park down and move all of the rides to different cedar fair parks. I still don't understand why they didn't do that right off the bat. I mean, CP could have gotten the floorless, Michigan's Adventure could have gotten a Boomerang or SLC, Valleyfair could have gotten an Impulse, and all of the parks could have gotten new flats. Why keep the park open when your losing money? It's not that I want to see a park close. But looking at it purely from a business perspective it never made any sense to try to make something out of a park where two major chains (Busch and Six Flags) pulled out. I just don't know. What do you guys think?
Message updated 5/15/2006 1:48:06 PM by Scott
larrygator

8/10/2005 11:53:28 PM
well it is pretty clear from the article why they didn't do as you suggested. They made a mistake. Dick Kinzel has admitted he underestimated the drawing power of the animals.
BobFunland

8/11/2005 12:10:58 AM
I know we all assumed that the fellas from Texas were visiting Cedar Point, but who is to say that one of the Geauga Lake costers isn't up for grabs?

I am somewhat suprised by this.. their admission was dropped and yet they still are doing poorly. Time for the park to get dumped... I just hope SF isn't dumb enough to buy it again.
coaster05

8/11/2005 9:59:55 AM
Maybe CF should stop trying to sell GL as an add on to their season pass and vice versa. You don't pay extra for that type of privelage at other parks. I would hate to see them dump the park since it is such a nice location with a great ride lineup it is baffling that people are not going there for that ticket price.

--------------------
Sunday July 31st. Is that the day Phoenix is dethroned by Bouldardash?

coaster count - 161 52 Wooden
Message updated 8/11/2005 11:38:10 PM by coaster05
mrceagle

8/11/2005 4:28:11 PM
True you would think with a great value it is oferign it woudl get more people in. Maybe things will change when the waer park and other work is finished.

Thing is what is there expectations. are they hoping for too much. I mean the park only got a bit over a million a few years ago. What can they do to emprove. Like Coaster said the season pass form CP shoudl at least work at this park not coasting you extra money. also it seasn that people liked the animals so a cople of animal shows might help. I mean they only have two shows acording to the web site.
coaster05

8/11/2005 11:39:08 PM
I'm not sure if that place was barely drawing a million with that many coasters I have no idea what to tell them to do.
mrceagle

8/12/2005 2:43:57 PM
My sugestion woudl be get up your entertainment. bring back the water skieing show since it seemed to be populare. also get a few uniquie shows. maybe even some animal shows to get those people back that miss the animals. maybe bring back some animals but on a smaller scale.

But we should wait and see how things pick up after they add the rest of the water park.
PeterD

8/13/2005 11:24:18 PM
Taking away the animals was their first step towards failure. Once they were gone, this park became a smaller version of Cedar Point with less of a selection of rides. Why would you go to GL when Cedar Point is about an hour away? Then again, why would you go to GL for animals when you could go to a zoo. Making it family-oriented is the only way it might be able to succeed. The park seems pretty doomed and it will be very hard to come out of this. It's a shame though, the park seems like a very nice place to visit.
coaster05

8/13/2005 11:40:30 PM
The park is very nice and here is a reason to go there less lines. CP has better rides but GL is pretty solid and you would not be waiting 90 minutes. It really is baffling how it is not working out. That water park is going to have to save them.
sfo1

8/14/2005 12:30:49 AM
Completely agree with mrceagle and coaster05, Geauga Lake has amazing potential in the Cleveland market, and it is known that the park can accomodate over 1.3 million guests/ summer.

Why would they sell this jewel? Like mrceagle said, family entertainment is the key, as is family picknicing.

Oh, BTW, I started the exact same thread like 3 days ago.
coaster05

8/14/2005 5:12:45 PM
wow a repeated thread that is so rare now a days
sfo1

8/14/2005 6:45:42 PM
Huh? That wasn't an angry remark I made.

taylorb251

8/14/2005 7:59:07 PM
I don't understand why more people don't go to this park. It has some really good coaster. I'm going in sept for fear feast. What I expect is short lines and a good time. I hope that cedar fair can impove this park and keep it open.
sfo1

8/14/2005 8:31:36 PM
^Agreed.

Geauga Lake, before 2003 - 2005, had attendance exceeding 1.2 million from my understanding. The potential for growth is there, it's just a matter of getting word to the public that the park has changed.

Geauga Lake has the most land of any Cedar Fair Park.

Geauga Lake is in a metro market with many large towns and cities surrounding it.

Geauga Lake has the second largest amount of coasters in the Cedar Fair chain next to the Point.

Geauga Lake has limitless possibilities once word gets out to the public that it has changed, why would they scrap this park?
coaster05

8/15/2005 11:51:22 AM
SFO! I wasn't directing my comment toward you I personally have noticed a huge increase in repeated threads over the last couple months.

Did you find actual facts about which CF park has the most land. I am not disagreeing with you but I would love to know how much land Michigan's Adventure has so if you can find that info that would be great.
Red Rascal

8/15/2005 2:01:46 PM
Quote:
Scott said:
...I still don't understand why they didn't do that right off the bat....But looking at it purely from a business perspective it never made any sense to try to make something out of a park where two major chains (Busch and Six Flags) pulled out. I just don't know. What do you guys think?

Because they weren't expecting it to fail. Geauga Lake is going through a slump, as is Cedar Point, I think, that will eventually pass as many factors, including the economy, improve to a point where people don't feel like they're spending a fortune for something small. Sea World wasn't having problems when they decided to close their doors, so you can't really consider them a failure.

Quote:
larrygator said:
well it is pretty clear from the article why they didn't do as you suggested. They made a mistake. Dick Kinzel has admitted he underestimated the drawing power of the animals.

The animals did little to nothing in attracting visitors to Six Flags. The "South side" was always pretty empty, ever since Sea World packed up. The attendance downfall probably has a lot more to do with other things.

Quote:
BobFunland said:
...Time for the park to get dumped...

Umm, no.

Quote:
coaster05 said:
Maybe CF should stop trying to sell GL as an add on to their season pass and vice versa. You don't pay extra for that type of privelage at other parks. I would hate to see them dump the park since it is such a nice location with a great ride lineup it is baffling that people are not going there for that ticket price.

EXACTLY! Combining the season pass would improve attendance at both parks, I think.

Quote:
mrceagle said:
...also it seasn that people liked the animals so a cople of animal shows might help. I mean they only have two shows acording to the web site.

Animals belong in the zoo, not an amusement park. The ones who complain probably didn't care too much for them, but are upset that things won't be as they used to.

Three if you count Robots of Mars 3D/4D Adventure.

Quote:
sfo1 said:
...Geauga Lake has the most land of any Cedar Fair Park...

That really doesn't matter if you attendance and revenue add up. Take a look at Darien Lake and their situation, one of the largest, if not the largest, SF properties out there.

Quote:
coaster05 said:
...Did you find actual facts about which CF park has the most land. I am not disagreeing with you but I would love to know how much land Michigan's Adventure has so if you can find that info that would be great.

You can find that information out on Cedar Fair's website, under "properties", I think. But, yes, Geauga Lake adds up to their biggest property; the actual park, lake, parkings, hotel/campground, and untouched woods.

--------------------

Coaster count: 123
BobFunland

8/15/2005 3:48:23 PM
Quote:
Red Rascal said:
Umm, no.

C'mon, do you think that CF would want to hold onto a park taht is dragging down the rest of the chain? I'm not saying immediately, but if we dont see a turnaround in 5 years I wouldn't count such a thing out.

Quote:
Animals belong in the zoo, not an amusement park. The ones who complain probably didn't care too much for them, but are upset that things won't be as they used to.

Well, many people think that water slides and play areas belong in standalone waterparks, but amusement parks have been doing very well recently when they add such attractions. The animals at Busch Gardens and Sea World are major draws.

Quote:
That really doesn't matter if you attendance and revenue add up. Take a look at Darien Lake and their situation, one of the largest, if not the largest, SF properties out there.

For the record, DL is #2 behind Great Adventure

--------------------
Where are the seatbelts?
mrceagle

8/15/2005 5:11:20 PM
Quote:
PeterD said:
Taking away the animals was their first step towards failure. Once they were gone, this park became a smaller version of Cedar Point with less of a selection of rides. Why would you go to GL when Cedar Point is about an hour away? Then again, why would you go to GL for animals when you could go to a zoo. Making it family-oriented is the only way it might be able to succeed. The park seems pretty doomed and it will be very hard to come out of this. It's a shame though, the park seems like a very nice place to visit.

If you lived 2-3 hours from GL you likely wouldn't want to drive another hour to CP. it seems there try ign to play it off as a local day park not a super park like CP or paramount were you really need more then a day to hit the park.

About the animals. you can take that ferther and say that animals belong in there natural habitate not confined, it being against there nature. I'm not saying instal majore exibits somthing small. Canobie lake has Peacoks walking around and there a big park of the tradition. many parks have small animal shows and exibits and take vary good care of the animals as good as any zoo.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
Message updated 8/15/2005 5:18:25 PM by mrceagle
sfo1

8/15/2005 8:53:36 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
SFO! I wasn't directing my comment toward you I personally have noticed a huge increase in repeated threads over the last couple months.

Oh, ok my bad.

Bob, I think the park will definately see a turnaround in the next 5 years, things can change alot by 2010.
coasterwom

5/15/2006 1:39:39 AM
I think this park is improving more and more each year since Cedar Fair has owned the park. I think the park needs more restraunts with quality food, a hyper coaster, more shows, bring some small scale animals back to the park, have Halloween events, put in a buffet type restraunt of some sort, advertise, do some remodeling to the park, and put in some theming.
coasterwom

5/15/2006 1:52:18 AM
Do you have a copy of the article the link doesn't show anything. Are they going to close the ride side of the park? I was just there this weekend and the place was empty due to weather. I hope Cedar Fair can save this park because they have some good rides and a nice water park. I feel the season pass shouldn't cost more to include Geauga Lake and WWK either because this should be a a way for Cedar Fair to advertise the park. Also include a list of benefits you get with a season pass, Joe Cool club, and offer reserved parking for season pass holders, Bonus Days, Walk On Weekends, discounts on food, double ride days ect.
primogen18

5/15/2006 10:12:15 AM
I didnt know it cost extra to include it, thats ASKING for it to do poorly because its like saying "we don't have faith in this park therefore we are going to charge extra and not make it feel as if its a part of the chain with the others"

I think this park looks awesome, If I lived closer Id be there all the time, especially wiht the growing WildWater Kingdom.

--------------------
ThrodL
ThrodL on Myspace

Message updated 5/15/2006 10:13:33 AM by primogen18
coaster05

5/15/2006 11:06:29 AM
Its only extra if you buy the pass at CP. I do not pay extra for my pass from MIA.

Coasterworm the link may not work because the thread was almost a year old.
mrceagle

5/15/2006 8:27:39 PM
At it's Price I would be happy to pay for a day at the park. they offer allot especialy in teh coaster dept.
coasterwom

5/17/2006 1:11:43 AM
I live in Ohio and I get my season pass at Cedar Point because that's where you have to buy it from if you want all 4 parks. It (season pass) costs extra for parking and the 2 parks at GL.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics