Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Boulderdash vs Beast?
CoastrGlxy

7/26/2005 12:50:23 PM
I'd like to pick the brains of those who have been to PKI, Lake Compounce, and SFNE. I'm planning a trip in August and I can't decide between going to SFNE and Lake Compounce OR just PKI.

I can practically sleep walk my way through PKD so a few rides at the sister won't be new. Assuming they're about exact duplicates Flight of Fear, Racer, Beastie, Two Face (rode it at SFA). And on the New England trip Mind Eraser won't be new, neither will the two boomerang coasters, but the rest will.

Both trips have new for 05 coasters and none of the parks have any new coasters coming next year which would make me just wait.

Any opinions? Does it come down to Boulderdash vs Beast? Superman ROS vs Son of Beast?
- Thread Locked
mrceagle

7/26/2005 12:53:40 PM
SFNE and LAke Compounce will offer allot. Boulderdash is worth the trip alone. and Wild cat is also a blast.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

7/26/2005 3:38:22 PM
I found Son of Beast to be horrible as far as the other parks I will know in about 12 days once my East Coast trip is over.
- Thread Locked
BobFunland

7/26/2005 3:39:59 PM
I would take Mr. Six over Italian Job any day, and its hard for me to imagine that

1. PKI is all that great of a park (though SFNE isn't either)
2. The Beast is as good as Boulder Dash
3. That you would even consider S:ROS vs. SOB to be close

I say take The Lake and Six Flags and you'll have fun. Perhaps you could check out SFNE's waterpark, it was busy but pretty nice when I went.
- Thread Locked
larrygator

7/26/2005 5:16:37 PM
The Beast was in my Top 10 for a couple of years and Boulder Dash still is. It was a much better comparision before they slowed The Beast down. Although on my last ride in 2001 I still loved it.

I'm actually like SOB but it is not in the same class as S:ROS.

FoFs are the same as are Two Face and Face-Off.
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

7/26/2005 5:39:34 PM
-Bob

1. I never said PKI is a great park, but it has a legend (Beast) and a pretty strong lineup

2. So you think Boulderdash is better than Beast (although PKI isn't in your Ride Tracker). That's moderately helpful. Thanks.

3. Pretend for a minute you haven't ridden any of these coasters. The second biggest attractions for both of these trips are S:ROS and Son of Beast. That's why I compared them. Give me a break I haven't ridden them yet.
Message updated 7/26/2005 5:41:00 PM by CoastrGlxy
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

7/26/2005 5:42:47 PM
So taking in everyone general opinion, I should probably go the New England route. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
- Thread Locked
BobFunland

7/26/2005 6:30:50 PM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:
-Bob

1. I never said PKI is a great park, but it has a legend (Beast) and a pretty strong lineup

I thought that PKD would have a strong lineup but it was ok at best to me. I have a strong distaste for Paramount parks and would take the other two partially because of that. I am personally in no hurry to get there, but you are right, the Beast is a legendary wooden coaster, and even I find it alone to be worth a stop on next year's trip.

Quote:
2. So you think Boulderdash is better than Beast (although PKI isn't in your Ride Tracker). That's moderately helpful. Thanks.

It's more or less a case of BD being fresh in my mind, and I just had a Saturday in which I had some of the greatest rides in my life. I'm not knocking the Beast, I'm just saying that its going to be hard for ANY coaster to live up to Boulder Dash's benchmark.

Quote:
3. Pretend for a minute you haven't ridden any of these coasters. The second biggest attractions for both of these trips are S:ROS and Son of Beast. That's why I compared them. Give me a break I haven't ridden them yet.

Yet again I have a personal vendetta against a ride in this case, as I am very much so against looping woodies.

You asked for help and I (along with others) provided it. Sorry if you didn't like it
Message updated 7/26/2005 6:32:51 PM by BobFunland
- Thread Locked
Cyclonic

7/26/2005 6:55:30 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
I found Son of Beast to be horrible as far as the other parks I will know in about 12 days once my East Coast trip is over.

East Coast trip?? What?? Where?? Did I miss somthing?

--------------------
My Track Record

Penncoasters.com

Coaster Events Page Updated 6/16/05

The Al Franken Show - The worst three hours of radio known to man! Good thing Rush is on at the same time

- Thread Locked
Cyclonic

7/26/2005 7:07:09 PM
OK, on to the topic at hand.

Personally, I would hit the NE parks over PKI. I like PKI, I think it is a nice park, but aside from The Beast (which is spectacular at night, BTW), there really isn't anything there that I would go out of my way for. Heck, they don't even have the Flying Eagles anymore. And, if you really want to know, I like Boulder Dash better.

Also, the NE trip gives you a few more options. You can stop for a few hours at Coney Island. Also, for an off the beaten path experiance you can stop at Quassy Lake Park, which is not far from Compounce. I think these little add on spot make that trip much more appealing.
- Thread Locked
Red Rascal

7/26/2005 8:11:10 PM
Kings Island, although a very nice park, really lacks in the roller coaster dept. I find the Beast to get worse and worse, year after year. You're better off heading a bit South to Kentucky Kingdom and riding Thunder Run. But, if you're looking for the whole park experience, PKI won't disappoint. You're bound to have a good time where ever you decide to go.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

7/26/2005 9:38:09 PM
Quote:
Cyclonic said:
East Coast trip?? What?? Where?? Did I miss somthing?

I will be hitting Lake Compounce July 31. Then Funtown and
Canobie sometime between the first and the fourth depending on weather. Then SFNE on the fifth.

Am I Really close to you on this trip?

If so is there some discounts to help a teacher out.

--------------------
I finally get to take my students to an amusement park! Six Flags Great America June 10th.

coaster count - 135 37 Wooden
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

7/27/2005 10:27:36 AM
Quote:
You asked for help and I (along with others) provided it. Sorry if you didn't like it

Yes Bob I did ask for feedback. I just didn't expect that I'd strike a nerve and have to weed through some personal vendettas. But I did thank everyone so it's not like I'm not thankful.
Message updated 7/27/2005 10:35:29 AM by CoastrGlxy
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

7/27/2005 10:32:33 AM
Quote:
Cyclonic said:
Also, the NE trip gives you a few more options. You can stop for a few hours at Coney Island. Also, for an off the beaten path experiance you can stop at Quassy Lake Park, which is not far from Compounce. I think these little add on spot make that trip much more appealing.

Cyclonic, that's true. I thought about adding some other smaller parks to the trip. Like Rye Playland and Coney Island to the trip, but I don't think I'll have the funds to do them all now. I'll probably do it as a seperate trip sometime soon. Buses from D.C. to NYC are very cheap so I could do those two parks + transportation for maybe under $100.
- Thread Locked
Cyclonic

7/27/2005 6:05:09 PM
You don't have your own transportation?
- Thread Locked
Cyclonic

7/27/2005 6:07:59 PM
Quote:
coaster05 said:
I will be hitting Lake Compounce July 31. Then Funtown and
Canobie sometime between the first and the fourth depending on weather. Then SFNE on the fifth.

Am I Really close to you on this trip?

If so is there some discounts to help a teacher out.

No, I just didn't know where you were headed. Sorry, can't help you on discounts, except to suggest looking for the local visitors center, usually they have brochures that have coupons.

Now, if you headed to SFGAdv or Dorney, we might have had a shot at meeting up (did I mention there is a good chance Ka will be open by the end of the week, not 100%, but very good).
- Thread Locked
coaster05

7/27/2005 9:47:58 PM
I actually thought about Dorney, but we are doing SFNE instead. It fits better in our drive. I did GADV last year and after my average views on TTD GADV will have to do more before I come back.
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

7/28/2005 12:29:43 PM
I could drive, but I figured taking a bus kills gas costs, toll costs, plus I can sleep overnight on the bus so I'm saving on a hotel room too. I'd just use the rail system once I get to NYC.
- Thread Locked
mrceagle

7/29/2005 3:10:42 PM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:
So taking in everyone general opinion, I should probably go the New England route. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Some would think me Ill if I didnt mention it. If you have any free time while your in the NE area you should check out Canobie Lake Park.

No mater what have a good time.

--------------------
Miracles can be made with a rock!

"Get a good idea and stay with it. dog it and work at it untile it's done, and don right." Walt Disney
- Thread Locked
BobFunland

7/30/2005 12:06:40 AM
Will there ever be a thread where you don't suggest Canobie?
- Thread Locked
Red Rascal

7/30/2005 8:43:08 AM
Hey, if you're good with the heads of the park, wouldn't you help them by luring people into their park?

Canobie seems to be a well established amusement park, more so than lets say Mt. Olympus in the Dells, or some tourist trap like Timber Falls, also in the Dells. I'd give it a go if I were in the area, afterall, a classic Schmeck would be hard to pass up.

--------------------

Coaster count: 123
- Thread Locked
larrygator

7/30/2005 4:03:02 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:

well at least he didn't push the New England kiddie parks again.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
- Thread Locked
mrceagle

8/1/2005 3:55:46 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:

This is my lot in life. at least my ThemparkCritic life
- Thread Locked
mrceagle

8/1/2005 3:57:24 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
well at least he didn't push the New England kiddie parks again.

of ya I knew I forgot somthing

Story........un world I think I covered them
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

8/1/2005 4:27:40 PM
Thanks for the Canobie suggestion, but there's a better chance I'll tackle Rye and Astroland first since they're kind of on my way back from CT.

I'm not big into my coaster count (85), but I did realize recently that I could ride my 100th coaster on this trip and it'd be cool if I could make it the Cyclone or Boulderdash. It all depends on if I have enough $$$ to do all four parks.
- Thread Locked
coaster05

8/1/2005 11:35:36 PM
I give my vote to bouldardash over the Beast. I now can say that from experience

--------------------
Sunday July 31st. Is that the day Phoenix is dethroned by Bouldardash?

coaster count - 161 52 Wooden
Message updated 8/2/2005 9:47:08 PM by coaster05
- Thread Locked
mrceagle

8/2/2005 12:55:56 PM
Astroland is a blast. if you liek dark rides hit Spookarama in Deno's right next door. get a wrist band at Astroland they have a few other rides worth riding.

I'm still trying to get out to wry but it looks like a blast.
- Thread Locked
CoastrGlxy

8/15/2005 2:12:18 PM
I'm heading to SFNE & Lake Compounce on Wed. Anybody have any "best seat tips" for S:ROS, Boulderdash, or any other coasters from those parks?
- Thread Locked
BobFunland

8/15/2005 3:50:49 PM
Boulder Dash is great all over the place. The front has the great views and good air while the back is just plain wild. I would say that my biggest tip is to try to ride in the dark.

From my S:ROS rides (basing this partially on my Darien Lake rides too), The back two cars are great for air, but the front row gives incredible views and air as well. Be advised that the second rows in the cars are good as well, since it does have stadium seating (ask Larry who forgot how tall my girlfriend was)
- Thread Locked
mrceagle

8/15/2005 5:26:17 PM
BAck seat front row or second from back. for superman! the waite is normaly shorter since peopel will wait for the verry last seat and the ride is the same.

Try to get in the front of Mind Eraser and back of batman. Cyclone is smoother in the front. and thunderbolt I find best in the middle get the best of bolth worlds. Teh rest of the coaster you can ride anywere.

Liek it was said Boulderdash is good form any seat and Wildcat is best tords the front.
- Thread Locked
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics