Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Michigans Adventure/Wisconsin Dells
Timberman

7/24/2005 11:31:31 PM
Well, wifey and I had a good trip through the Heartland, and we've discovered our new wooden roller coaster Mecca. More on that momentarily.

The first leg of the trip was to Michigan's Adventure. We arrived at about 1300 hrs on a hot Saturday. The park was moderately crowded. Parking cost $7 and the walk to the entrance was short. We headed straight for Shivering Timbers and waited about 30 minutes for the front seat. Along with George A. Romero's Land of the Dead, Shivering Timbers was one of 2005's big disappointments for me. It has everything I would ask for in a roller coaster, but the synergy just didn't hit me where I live. It also made my wife, a Cyclone veteran and no lightweight when it comes to coasters, feel sea sick. After two rides, she was done. I got one ride in the front and two in the back and that was enough for me. I know Timbers has a huge fan club, and I'm glad that it does, because I would still trade five Intamin Rockets for every coaster like it. Yet having ridden it, I won't feel the need to hurry back. Wolverine Wildcat, on the other hand, was a nice surprise. The trim brakes on the turns are a bit of a buzzkill, but otherwise, it was our favorite ride in the park (blasphemer!). Zach's Zoomer was another hit with me, mainly because I believe every kid should have the privilege of having his first roller coaster be a wooden one. We also took the obligatory turns on the Corkscrew (the usual off-the-shelf model), the Mad Mouse (the heavy lap bar of which gave me a nasty surprise by suddenly falling on my lap like a guillotine), and, yes, even the Big Dipper, which was a fine gravity-powered ride for the tots (and the coaster-obsessed adults in need of counseling). Timbertown Railway provided some good views of Shivering Timbers, which undeniably is one of the most impressive-looking coasters to be seen anywhere, but otherwise, the scrubby grass around the park wasn't too awe-inspiring. I vaguely remember the Giant Gondola Wheel having some sort of historical significance, and as usual, it was a nice way to take in the park. The park closed for about 75 minutes at one point due to lightening, but when the rides reopened, we got some nice rain-enhanced rides on the Wolverine Wildcat and one for me on Shivering Timbers. It was really moving fast, but again, I can only appreciate it, not love it. Old farts that we are, we skipped the water park.

Overall, neither one of us loved Michigan's Adventure. Shade was scarce, the landscape was kind of featureless, and we both had the impression of baking in the sun on a concrete island. To be fair, we were both tired from a long drive, and the weather was by turns rainy or very hot and humid. I was still glad to have gone, and I'd like to try a another visit some day on a fall evening, but the park closes for the season in mid September.

After an early exit from the park, we found a great little 1950s-style drive-in restaurant outside of Muskegon on Grand Haven, near the Carousel Cinemas. Unfortunately, we can't remember the name of the place, but if you find it, definitely try the homemade rootbeer. Incidentally, we learned that the rootbeer purists take their draughts without ice.

The Lakeview Ferry, which was supposed to take us and our vehicle from Muskegon to Milwaukee, WI, was a bust. When we got there it was running over two hours late because of mechanical problems. Remembering the old Gordon Lightfoot tune The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, I decided not to risk taking a marginal boat across one of the Great Lakes in the middle of the night, so instead we set off by car. By about 0130 hrs, we realized that finding a hotel anywhere near lake Michigan in July without a reservation was futile. Eventually, we drove about 30 miles south out of our way and stayed at a $100 Lee's Inn & Suites. Ouch. The accomodations were fine, but trust me, book early if you're traveling in the area.

Sunday, we drove from the Chica
Message updated 7/25/2005 11:44:23 PM by Timberman
coaster05

7/26/2005 1:33:58 AM
Just when I though I could not be more baffled by your dells obsession I know here you prefered Wolverine Wildcat. I also find it funny that you found MA to not be very appealling and I found MT Olympus to be overpriced, dirty. bad service(both agree) and very ugly other the the tress around a couple of the coasters. Thank goodness we were not at those parks at the same time. My day was so bad at olympus that I left by noon. Oh well
Timberman

7/26/2005 6:07:39 PM
Different strokes for different folks, man, what else can be said? I'm not saying Shivering Timbers is a bad roller coaster in the way, say, Pegasus is a bad roller coaster, I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea. Wolverine Wildcat is no masterpiece, but it's more my style. I probably wouldn't give it more than a 7, but I sure had fun with it, especially in the rain.

Have you been to the (now defunct) Action Park or Coney Island? Those are two more favorites of mine that I suspect you would find appalling. I like my fun with a few rough edges once in a while; it keeps me in touch with my youth.
Message updated 7/27/2005 12:13:21 AM by Timberman
coaster05

7/26/2005 9:28:28 PM
I go to a lot of small parks and I really like lakemont which is for from appealing, but the price matches the quality more. I also don't mind wolverine wildcat but it is nowwhere close for me to timbers. I believe i like zach zoomer more then WW since the ride is more consistent.
Hercules

8/24/2005 9:38:02 PM
Is that a Curtis Summers' wood that you prefered over Shivering Timbers? A tear is coming to my eye.

It took me a while to get to read this, but it was well worth it. I too don't really understand your obsession with the place. Though I have never been, I plan on it within the next two years or so, but on the outside looking in, it really doesn't look like my kind of place. I mean, I'm into the Fair or carnival atmosphese, just not an extreme one. But, it is all your opinion.

I can't believe you passed up Great America though.

And, what are you turning into one of those freaks that is concerned about their coaster count and nothing else. 5 kiddie coasters and you attempted suicide to go see some scaffolding? I think it is time for the "missus" to get you some medication.

Oh yeah, don't even get me started on Action Park.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics