Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author The Most Overrated Parks
mrceagle

5/14/2006 10:43:50 PM
I agree LC is lakign in thrill rides. but with there attendance and with the types of guests they get. the trhill rides jsut don't work out. look at Top spin! Thunder and Lighting looks good but I don't expact to see a large group of trhill rides untill there atendace gos up.
CoastrGlxy

5/16/2006 11:23:18 PM
On my visit last year to New England I went to a fast food restaurant (Burger King I think) and picked up a discount coupon. I went to LC for the twilight rate since I had visited SFNE earlier that same day so I think I paid in the teens. I researched ahead of time and printed out a map of the BK's near LC. So on my way from SFNE to LC, I knew where to stop for the coupon. The first BK was out of them but the BK closer to park had them.

So for the price I paid, LC was not only overpriced, but they also had a FREE SODA FOUNTAIN. I thought I was hallucinating. I feel like the pizza was a good price, but who cares. What parks offer free drinks????
CoastrGlxy

5/16/2006 11:37:37 PM
Along the lines of this thread. When I think of overrated parks, I have to think of Cedar Point. I know I might catch some flack for this, but having just been there for first time this past weekend, my theories about that park were partly right. No park could live up to the hype that park gets. Yes. They have the most coasters. Yes. They break world records. But after visiting I don't find myself looking for a house in Sandusky.

In a way, Cedar Point's like other great parks. They have a few world-class coasters and a good to just average (albeit large) supporting cast of coasters. It ain't like the park's chocked full of classics and 10's and 9's. That's how people make it seem. That's all.

And I will admit that my opinion is based mostly on the coaster aspect. I do recognize that they have a great selection of flat rides and probably excel in park operations, cleanliness, etc. It's a great park, but def. overrated.
Hercules

5/16/2006 11:57:30 PM
^^ Eh. The free drinks thing doesn't impress me because it is factored into the admission price, which is one of the things that make the fee so high.
larrygator

5/17/2006 12:16:40 AM
If I knew when they had a twilight rate I would definitely take advantage of it at LC because Boulder Dash is a good coaster during the day but insane at night.
coasterwom

5/17/2006 12:49:37 AM
What is there twilight rate? Does AAA give discounts? Is it a park worth visiting for the day?
coaster05

5/17/2006 6:16:16 AM
Quote:
coasterwom said:
Lake Compounce has a very high price for admission and I feel it's overrated.

So how can this park be overrated and then you ask if it is a park worth visiting for a day. Do you even remember what you post or is it just a blur of spam and general statements.

--------------------
"New rule: tulips are no longer a flower; they are some sort of gay onion." Bill Maher

How come someone like him doesn't run for President?

Coaster Count-172. Wooden-57
Message updated 5/17/2006 6:18:28 AM by coaster05
hrrytraver

5/17/2006 10:46:23 AM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:
In a way, Cedar Point's like other great parks. They have a few world-class coasters and a good to just average (albeit large) supporting cast of coasters. It ain't like the park's chocked full of classics and 10's and 9's. That's how people make it seem. That's all.

i can agree with cstrgalaxy. when taken for what it is, cedar point is excellent, but in the big picture it is not outstanding. factoring in hyperbole, a fairly high door admission (though i realize typical of parks that size), and crowds/long lines i find CP a place i am in no hurry to return to.

it would be great if there was another older wood coaster like blue streak. does anyone know if they had some other big wood coasters back in the day? i wish that CP was slightly more in the kennywood genre of preserving it's roots while also aiming for futuristic grandeur.

coaster wise there were many disappointments for me. mean streak just didn't work out for them or me. everyone seems to agree with that. i personally find raptor and mantis meh. gemini is certainly interesting, but not wow material. corkscrew and iron dragon are pretty medium fun, but historically interesting. wildcat seems awesome, but i didn't even see that when i was there. i didn't ride that bobsled thingy.

only magnum, mf and ttd stand out to me. ttd and mf both have big lines and ttd has unpredictable operation. long lines really sap your day away. fortunately magnum is a short wait and the best coaster in the park (IMO).

more quality wood coasters would solidify CP for me as a stronger coaster destination. since we can't go into the past and build a killer john allen 1967 twister/out and back hybrid, i guess we have to cross our fingers that cp will put in wood as their next coaster outing.

--------------------
"I note your distress at my floccinaucinihilipilification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty." jesse helms 1999
Animan1

5/17/2006 11:22:46 AM
The most over-rated park that I have been to was CP. Some great coasters, a lot of average coasters, and a few pretty crappy ones, as opposed to the all-star lineup that the park is generally touted to have. And just for the record, so as not to offend any...ahem...sensitive members, "over-rated" is not at all the same thing as "bad".
CoastrGlxy

5/17/2006 11:44:35 AM
Good point Animan1. Some members are way too sensitive/protective. Overrated isn't the same as bad.

hrrytraver, you were born about a half century too late to enjoy the old woodies at Cedar Point. It looks like they've removed 8 of them in the past. (http://www.rcdb.com/pd1.htm)Of course if you were born then, you might not be here now to enjoy B&M's, rocket coasters, flying coasters, etc. I was just thinking yesterday that they should install an old-school woodie like an updated Leap the Dips or something. Similar to what Knoebels is doing. I doubt they'll do that though. I peeked at the contstruction site Saturday but I couldn't make out anything.
Hercules

5/17/2006 11:52:15 AM
Cedar Point doesn't have the most coasters anymore... I wonder how the fanboys are taking that

Animan1

5/17/2006 7:35:02 PM
Probably not too well, if I know anything about them and their "kin". But a little setback for them now and then is good, keeps them in touch with reality.
Scott

5/17/2006 7:39:37 PM
I agree animan. There are a few great rides, but some overrated rides too. MF is the only reason I head to cedar point. It is still a great park.
Message updated 5/18/2006 12:16:35 AM by Scott
hrrytraver

5/17/2006 7:43:04 PM
coastrglxy-
now that you mention it, i just recalled seeing pictures of a traver "cyclone" at cedar point from the 20s in the book, "harry traver: legends of terror".

this i believe, was an early version of the steel frame twister type coaster which he later "refined" into the infamous "triplets."

now if they had managed to maintain THAT one, holy moly. it would be the only surviving traver coaster in existence.
BobFunland

5/18/2006 1:24:50 AM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:
So for the price I paid, LC was not only overpriced, but they also had a FREE SODA FOUNTAIN. I thought I was hallucinating. I feel like the pizza was a good price, but who cares. What parks offer free drinks????

Holiday World did too, and I thought it was an overrated park as well.

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Message updated 5/18/2006 1:25:02 AM by BobFunland
no cars go

5/18/2006 5:44:49 PM
Hersheypark is a little overrated in my opinion, but I still love the park.
mrceagle

5/18/2006 6:43:38 PM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:

Like Bob mentioned Holiday World offers free soda. I think Holiday world offer free sunscreen at the water park as well.

Are you upset that they offer free soda. I'm happier that it's Pepsi and not Coke like practically every other park.

I can understand your ideas of LC as it being overrated. If I traveled a full day for it I might fee differently then I do on my 2.5 hour drive. but when you look at the NY and New England area LC isn't all that overpriced. I think the park needs a few more rides of high quality to back up BD.
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics