Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Hyper Coaster Showdown!
CoastrGlxy

7/13/2005 4:04:24 PM
I was wondering what eveyone thought of the hyper coasters around the country. Specifically which designer makes the best Hyper Coasters (200 feet high range). Only Hypers though, no Gigas (300 ft) or insane Stratas (400 ft). In case you're not familiar with the designers here they are:

Morgan made Mamba, Steel Force, Phantom's Revenge & Wild Thing

Intamin whipped out the 3 Superman's (SFNE, SFDL, SFA)

B&M created Nitro, Raging Bull & Apollo's Chariot

Arrow gave us Magnum XL-200, Desperado, & Steel Phantom

Giovanola did Titan & Goliath

I'm sure each has their strengths and weaknesses but does anyone think one of these companies OWNS this "genre"???
Hercules

7/13/2005 4:10:03 PM
It's tough, really tough. However, I have to give it to Morgan. It is probably a surprise to hear that, but, I just think they keep that old charm that Magnum brought to the table.

I could say Intamin for their airtime machines. I could say B&M just because they rock. I could say Arrow because it was the first. However, I'm going with Morgan.

Here is the list for me:
Morgan
B&M
Arrow
Intamin
Giovanola (just because I've never been on one)
skierman

7/13/2005 4:59:53 PM
Out of those, i'd say B&M and Intamin... but those are also the only ones that i'v been on.
Swimace

7/13/2005 5:07:31 PM
I've been on one B&M and one Intamin when it comes to hyper coasters. I'd have to say B&M because Apollo's Chariot was awsome
CoastrGlxy

7/13/2005 5:20:10 PM
Yeah it is tough. I prefer B&M because they just feel so smooth. Maybe it's those four across trains. They are more open allowing you more freedom of movement than any other trains. I'd like to ride the Giovanola's soon. They look twisted and really cool. If anyone can compare those to some of the others I'd love to hear how they match up.

My list goes:
B&M
Morgan
Intamin

This could change though after I ride Superman at SFNE next month.

Also feel free to name your favorite Hyper overall. Mine being Fabio's arch nemesis Apollo's Chariot.
CCTrack

7/13/2005 7:12:55 PM
I have only ever been on Magnum but i think it is a good and fast ride but for its time (when it was built) it is a great coaster.
RCGenius

7/13/2005 9:14:21 PM
I've only been on 2 Morgan hypers so I'm going to have to go w/Morgan on this one. Their rides are incredibly smooth & provide an all-around fun ride. My favorite hyper's Phantom's Revenge b/c of it being the fastest coaster that I've been on at 82 m.p.h. It also had some of the craziest amt. of airtime that I've ever experienced & its first 2 drops are both excellent, w/the 2nd drop being the biggest drop that I've ever been on. Steel Force was fun, but after riding Phantom's Revenge, it put Steel Force to shame. I'll be going to Cedar Point in less than 2 weeks & will be riding Magnum XL-200, a Arrow hyper. I can't wait to ride it after hearing a lot of great reviews about it being a classic hyper that still provides an amazing ride that the new hypers out there provides.
larrygator

7/13/2005 10:47:00 PM
I've been on all but Titan, Steel Phantom, and Mamba:
1) Intamin - all S:ROS are great coasters
2) B&M - a close second but I didn't find Raging Bull on the same level
3) Arrow - I still love Magnum and my lone experience on Desperado was not nearly as rough/bad as others claim
4) Morgan - not a fan of Mild Thing
5) Giovanola - Goliath wasn't as good as advertised
CCTrack

7/14/2005 7:50:17 AM
I would say Intamin is the best designer and I would say that Superman: Ride of Steel would be the best. I am not basing this on what i have experienced because i have not been on an Intamin hyper so obviously I havent been on SROS but i am going by what other people have said about SROS.
darkridrMD

7/14/2005 8:45:56 AM
Have not been on any designed by Giovanola but at least 1 from each of the others. I guess I'd give my vote to B&M with Arrow and Intamin neck and neck. I completely love Nitro and Apollo's Chariot.
Red Rascal

7/14/2005 11:18:20 AM
1) B&M - Nitro is my favorite hyper. Raging Bull is also pretty good.
2) Intamin - S:ROS @ DL comes in at a close second.
3) Morgan - Steel Force and Phantom's Revenge are alright.
4) Arrow - Magnum, although my first coaster, is painful and overrated if you ask me. Steel Phantom is one of the worst coasters I've been on.
5)RCCoA - Son of Beast, horrible, but I'd still ride Magnum over it.
CoastrGlxy

7/15/2005 9:47:23 AM
Quote:
larrygator said:
5) Giovanola - Goliath wasn't as good as advertised

I'm curious, since I've never been on a Giovanola. Why wasn't Goliath all that?
larrygator

7/15/2005 10:54:16 AM
Quote:
CoastrGlxy said:
I'm curious, since I've never been on a Giovanola. Why wasn't Goliath all that?

By: larrygator on 10/11/2004 12:20 AM - [ Bad: 0 Good: 1 ]
View Reviewer Profile | Post Comments | Review Complaint
boy what a long queue to walk through. This ride could have been a contender but the MCBR blows as it slows you to a practical stop. If you sit in the left front you are practically hanging out of the side of the car right after the MCBR. Not much air, it's all about speed until the MCBR. At least the helix is extremely intense.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
mrceagle

7/15/2005 4:31:31 PM
I've only been on a few Hypers. but If I had to narow them down by order it would be this.

B&M - wilder more uniquie ride.

Morgan - traditional Hypers with a salid layout

Intamin - They maid a fantastic Coaster in SROS at SFNE but the other two have wayto much straight track. these coaster are also unreliable.

Giovanola - wild designs and amaizign lookign trains.

Arrow - Yes they started it all but the coasters they have build don't apiel to me.
WAR2174

7/15/2005 9:08:50 PM
To me, B&M is tops. Apollo's Chariot is amazing and Nitro looks just as good as does Silver Star and Raging Bull. If rumor holds true, SF Georgia could be adding a monster too. Morgans are a little ragged. I have never ridden an Intamin, except MF. It is awesome, but wasn't perfect. Giovanola's are really intense. Goliath is a solid ride but isn't an airtime ride. I just feel that anything B&M touches is gold (well expect a few piles of poo like Vortex, but that is another story for another day).
Message updated 7/16/2005 4:26:45 AM by WAR2174
0069coolgu

7/17/2005 9:19:19 PM
ive only been on Goliath and it was really good. the insane drop and insane speed give it must ride. the helix was also mind boggling
coasterwom

5/19/2006 2:29:11 AM
Intamin, B&M, Morgan, and Arrow are great designers of coasters. I prefer hypers in this order.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics