Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Saturday - Kennywood
Cyclonic

9/5/2002 1:11:00 AM
Day Two - Kennywood

I managed to get up bright and early and head for Kennywood Park near Pittsburgh. I have visited Kennywood before, however, at that time it was in July, in the middle of a major heat wave, and it was about 100 degrees that day. Needless to say, I did not stay long that time. This time around I planned to stay until about six before heading towards King's Island.

The gates opened at 10:30, and I headed right for the Exterminator. I was not really expecting much from this ride, I simply headed there first to beat the lines that I know build up on it. It was really weird, it was so early that the park was totally empty, and really quiet too because the rides don't start running until 11:00. I was very surprised by the Exterminator, I knew it was a crazy mouse coaster, but it has to be the best crazy mouse I have ever ridden. It is an all indoor ride, with lots of sharp, fast turns and drops, but on top of this, at about the half way point of the ride the cars start to spin. It is a great ride, the themeing is even really well done. I am surprised I have not heard more about this ride, it is really a great ride.

After two laps on Exterminator, I headed over to Phantom's Revenge. I have ridden the Steel Phantom, so I can compare the two rides, and I have to say the new version is a far better ride. First, I love the design of the new cars, they are very comfortable, and the design of the lap bars allows for lots of leg room, so I don't feel squished in. They also allow the airtime to really show in the later part of this ride. The layout is mostly a twister type, but towards the end there are some nice bunny hops, and there is a great double hop before the brake run.

I needed a little break now, so I headed back towards the front of the park, visiting Noah's Ark, the best fun house I have been in, and taking a ride on the Carousel, which is a nice one, but not a nice as Hershey's, and nowhere near the beauty of Knoebel's or Bushkill Park's. The line for Old Mill was real long, so I went over to the Jack Rabbit. This is a nice little coaster, I offers some good air time, and I love the almost total lack of restraints, it is a refreshing change from the modern coasters that trap you into the cars.

The racer was next, it's beautiful station wedged between a bunch of games, truly the classic look of an amusement park midway. The Racer is not a bad ride either, some nice air time, and some interaction, as the trains race close together, and come to a speed that you can actually reach out and high five the riders in the other train (hint, when you get in to the seat, be sure to be in an outside spot to do this).

The Log Jammer was next down the midway, and this particular log flume has a surprise. It is an Arrow ride, and if Arrow had stuck to building log flumes like this, they would be a lot better off. While not particularly long or well themed, the Log Jammer actually has an uphill on it, something I have never seen on a flume. It drops down, and with a boost from a spray of water, is shot back up. Very cool.

I now worked my way back around the back of the park, riding Aero 360, which is very cool, the Apollo 2000 type ride (can't remember the name right now) which actually sits on top of the stage, the train, the Auto Race (one of the few Traver rides left, and the only of this type), this too is neat as you can give high fives to riders coming the opposite directions. Then I came to the river rapids type of ride (again, can't remember the name, I have a park map somewhere?). This is a pretty poor rapids ride, I did not get wet at all! It is short, very tame, with only one waterfall, and it has a bunch of gates that stop the rafts to slow them down. It is nothing compared Thunder Canyon at Dorney.

At this point I was hungry, so being close to the Potato Patch that I have been told about, I checked it out. The fries were very good, but fran

xDisney

9/5/2002 8:32:00 AM
Great TR. Kennywood is one best parks I've ever visited. Anyone who hasn't been there should plan a trip.

Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics