Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author Park Experience when rides are down?
Godsentone

5/9/2005 11:47:49 AM
This thread is designed for feedback on how you feel when a coaster or ride that you love is down. Does it effect how your day goes at the park or do you experience the park in other ways to take your mind off of it? I know sometimes people may be bummed the entire day b/c of one ride being down. I don't think downtime of rides should spoil your experience b/c there should be other ways to make your visit a pleasant one.

--------------------
Bigger, Better Vision Alive In 2005
http://www.visionland.com/

Latest Replies
Holidays Latest News Speculation Expansion Trip Reports Events
larrygator

5/9/2005 12:09:55 PM
Depends on if it a home park or not. If a coaster is down at SFGAdv, I say oh well, I'll ride it next time.

But when I'm traveling I want all coasters running. If I go to SFMM, I want to ride X, Riddler's Revenge, Goliath, Scream and Deja Vu (especially X)- I don't want excuses and I don't want to be dissappointed. I purposely delayed my trips to SFNE and SFA last year until the new restraints were in place on S:ROS. In 2003, when I went to The Point it wasn't until the third day we got on TTD, I would have been mad if that ride had never come. When I went to Dorney Park yesterday and Talon wasn't running, I was pretty upset, but luckily got one ride in right after it opened and before I left.

I'm pissed just writing this message thinking about coasters being down

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
Message updated 5/9/2005 12:10:21 PM by larrygator
Godsentone

5/9/2005 12:13:22 PM
Well, I would have to say that you are one who definitely wants to get your money's worth out of any visit, not just to your homepark. Did Talon being down, before you rode it, take away your excitement, that day?
larrygator

5/9/2005 12:21:39 PM
I still had fun and was fully prepared to leave the park without riding it. I stressed about it earlier in the day and has excepted the possible fate of not riding the both coaster the at park.
Swimace

5/9/2005 12:33:03 PM
I remember when I went to EPCOT shortly after Test Track opened and it was closed that day. I was pretty pissed, but luckily it opened later on in the day. I would have left the park pretty mad if I didn't get to ride Test Track
coaster05

5/9/2005 12:51:59 PM
It all depends on the ride. It never bothered me when dejavu was down, but I was irritated with chiller at sfgadv. Travel time is also a major factor.
Godsentone

5/9/2005 1:00:44 PM
Yeah, think about how I felt when Millinnium Force first debuted and they were having all kinds of downtime. I waited as much as 2-3 hours for one ride on this thing. It didn't effect whether I would have fun in the park, but that was a big reason why I had to visit this time. And to think, I came from 'Bama!
Message updated 5/10/2005 1:17:11 PM by Godsentone
bb_dg

5/9/2005 1:06:27 PM
for me, if im visiting a park for the first time, i get pretty pist (like when RWB wasnt open last year at GL) but if its for a second time, or regularly like at GAdv, it doesnt bother me much at all. i can still enjoy parks a great deal without the coasters.
Godsentone

5/9/2005 1:09:40 PM
yeah, I feel you but if you were a regular visitor, wouldn't it bug you if the same ride was down all the time? I mean I know for those who had Deja Vu's in their homeparks, it had to be down-right agonizing to see the big green monster just sitting there with no movement and no sign of running soon. I know they are excited just to see it running, not to mention to actually ride it again.
Message updated 5/9/2005 1:10:56 PM by Godsentone
Swimace

5/9/2005 1:44:29 PM
Last time I went to BGT they had that Kumba was closed posted at the entrance. Even though I had been there before, I was upset, since BGT isn't complete without Kumba. A trip to a theme park is supposed to be an escape, and all the star attractions should be open. I dont get to go to BGT that often, so when I do, I want to be able to ride everything
Godsentone

5/9/2005 1:58:28 PM
hey you guys, in all honesty though, the rides will not be up everytime we visit these parks, b/c they do tend to break down for whatever reasons. The best thing a park can do is give out something to make up for this inconvenience besides just posting it on a sign. I know some parks give out coupons, front of line passes or something.

I even heard Dollywood or somewhere gives out 2nd Day passes, even for rainy days. Talk about total guest services. I wonder why most parks don't do this?

--------------------
A Bigger, Better Vision Alive In 2005

http://www.visionland.com/

Message updated 5/9/2005 2:00:46 PM by Godsentone
bb_dg

5/9/2005 3:04:40 PM
Quote:
Godsentone said:
yeah, I feel you but if you were a regular visitor, wouldn't it bug you if the same ride was down all the time? I mean I know for those who had Deja Vu's in their homeparks, it had to be down-right agonizing to see the big green monster just sitting there with no movement and no sign of running soon. I know they are excited just to see it running, not to mention to actually ride it again.

yea think of it this way... if its open unexpectedly, it makes the visit that much better. this was the case for me with TTD. i was at the park for 4 days and didnt get to ride it until the last day, in the morning before we left (in fact, we left later than we wanted to because of this)... just made the trip that much better.

--------------------
My Phlog - Pics from my camera phone updated in real time
My Personal Coaster Site - All about my obsession with coasters
My General Aviation Site - Follow my flight training progress
Godsentone

5/9/2005 3:08:18 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I have been at SFOG and one of the coasters there, can't remember which one, but anyway, it was expected to be down, but they began testing it and it opened. Made my day then.
ibluv

5/9/2005 3:47:45 PM
What would really suck tho is if you go to a smaller park with one REALLY good attraction that makes the park worth going to and you get there and that one attraction was down (ex BD at Lake Compounce). LBD has always been running when ILve been there but if it wasnLt ILd be devastated, even tho the park is only a 15 minute drive from where I live.
larrygator

5/9/2005 11:40:49 PM
If I go to a park on weekdays I sort of expect something might not be working due to routine maintenance but on weekends I expect everytime to be running. For the record I've only been to SFoG and SFMM once each and got in DejaVu at both. Did I just royally jinx myself for SFGAm?
Godsentone

5/10/2005 7:49:53 AM
LOL, naw, you should be fine since I believe this was the first Deja Vu coaster that they got up and running again.
coaster05

5/10/2005 12:45:22 PM
I am one for four on dejavu working at SFGAM although one of those times it was open for an hour.
Godsentone

5/10/2005 1:16:22 PM
What park do you claim as your homepark? Holiday World? I know it takes you about 1-2 hours to get to SFGAm right?
Message updated 5/10/2005 1:17:31 PM by Godsentone
ABR

5/12/2005 1:27:01 AM
For me, like many, it depends on the park. If it's my home park, SFA, I will be a little dissappointed if S:ROS is down (favorite ride there), but if any of the others are closed, it's an "oh well"

Then of course, there's the parks that I visit once in a decade. Like Disney. I am going there this summer, the last time I have been was 8 years ago. If splash, space, big thunder, tower of terror, rock n' roll, soarin', test track, or mission space are closed, I will be pretty mad. When I was there in 1997, test track was supposed to have been open for a few months. But it hadn't opened yet. That made my day at Epcot extremely dissappointing.

Then, if it's my first visit to a park (haven't had any of those for a few years), IT'S ALL GOTTA BE OPEN, or I go home sad.

B U T, if it's the new attraction at ANY park (near or far), I will be very angry. I HAVE TO GET ON IT BEFORE ALL MY FRIENDS.
Godsentone

5/12/2005 11:29:49 AM
Well, ABR, I can understand why you would feel that way on all the scenarios you pointed out, but shouldn't a park be able to offer you a great experience despite a certain ride or rides being down? You know, entertain you well enough to keep you interested, so that when these rides do open up either this time or the next time you visit, you will have a deeper appreciation for the park, b/c you had more fun.

Does that make sense?
coaster05

5/12/2005 1:14:29 PM
I live almost the exact distance 2hours from Indiana Beach, Michigans Adventure and SFGAM.

I would probably say Michighans Adventure because that is the one I hope improves the most. I have fun spot only over an hour from my house but I have never been there and even when I do go there I doubt I feel the desire to ever return.
The Lado

5/13/2005 9:15:21 AM
Believe it or not I am not a tall or upside down type guy, so I dont have too many storys about when my favorite ride is down, but off topic when my rides go down guests arent that pissed since Knoebels mostly has flats. I wasnt there, but a, when we had the 'Power Outage of 2004' at Knoebels I heard people were that pissed they were yelling at the Minature golf operators that are next door to handstamp. I guess people got free tickets and the park stayed open an addition 2 hours once the power came on after 3 hours. I dont know the answer to when big rides shut down, lets say the Twister or like the Dragster at Cedar Point. Maybe a coupon for a free drink for everyone in line, but then again when your paying 40 dollars to get in, a free drink doesnt look that good either.
coasterwom

5/20/2006 1:57:29 AM
I don't mind if a ride is closed at my home parks because I can ride them again but if I'm traveling I get upset when rides are closed because I want to add them to my coaster list and if I pay alot of money to get in I want the rides/coasters operating.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics