Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR: Knoebels: April 23, 2005
Cyclonic

5/2/2005 8:15:18 PM
I am going to write more of a review of the trip then a full blown trip report. I want to get this finished and out there before my next report, which should be written tomorrow night. Believe me, that one will be awesome.

Anyway, I drove up Saturday morning and camped out that night, so I got in two days at the park. Whether wise both were pretty miserable. On Saturday was the Wooden Coaster Fan Club event. It was a good event, well run and included the wristband for the day, lunch, an hour ERT on Twister and Phoenix, and a Q&A with John Fetterman. John Fetterman has worked at Knoebels for more then 30 years, and in that time designed the Twister and was key to moving the Phoenix to the park. He has also helped in moving several other coasters, and right now is working with Adventure Parks to move the Starliner.

Knoebels is getting several new rides this year. One is Fandango, a Moser pendulum type ride. Unfortunately it was not quite ready to open to the public on opening weekend. There was a delay in the shipment of parts, and they only got most of the ride Wedensday before the park opened. They did a lot of work though, and had it upright and testing Saturday morning. They said it would be open to the public by the second weekend. It is located next to the Kiddie Turnpike in the former parking lot.

Another new ride is located right next to the Wipper, the Flying Tigers. It is like a Wipe ride in reverse. Riders sit in tubs that are suspended from a track. As the tub goes around the corner, it swings out, and then gently falls back into place. It is a fun little family ride.

There is a neat little story behind this ride. Dick Knoebel had gone down to the IAAPA show with his grand daughter. She saw the ride at the Zamperla booth and wanted to take a ride. After getting off, she immediately wanted to ride again. After three rides she goes to Dick and says "Grandpop, you've got to get this ride." So, they looked at the budget and figured they could fit it in.

There is a third ride going in at Knoebels this year, sometime this year. John Fetterman explained it as their project ride, a Herchell Looper. This is an old flat ride that is much like a Rok-N-Roll. The ride has twelve cages that are held out from a hub on sweeps. The cages each hold two riders. The whole ride spins around, and the cages can also flip end over end. The cages are rider controlled, unlike the Chance ride which is controlled totally by the ride op.

The ride will not be ready for some time. It is in pretty bad shape. Knoebels got it and a second one for parts from a carnival operator in Georgia with the help of the Herchell Company, which is indeed still in business. The ride will be set up on the old Whirlwind pad.

As for the park, it is doing great. Twister and Phoenix have not missed a beat since last season, and were both running fantastic, with some of the best rides on Twister I have ever had, expecally towards the front.

I easily rode the Flyers 15 times over the weekend, and was pretty sore afterwards You truly know you are having a good ride not when you come off sore, but when you make the teenage girls come off crying.

I had a great weekend. I ran into some old friends, as well as made some new ones.

I did not take many photos, but the few I did take are posted here.

--------------------
[url=http://www.gregleg.com/coastershrine/viewTra
larrygator

5/2/2005 8:57:50 PM
I don't know how the hell I didn't run into you on Saturday. I got there an hour before the park opened and left five minutes before ERT on Phoenix ended. I felt the rain coming on and we got to my sister's truck right as it started pouring. I know you tried to call because I saw your cell number on my phone when I got home. I left my phone in NY.
*FreeBird*

5/2/2005 8:58:47 PM
Great TR and pics! It must really look different there without the Whirlwind. For some reason, on the Knoebels website the Fandango looks different the the actual ride. Maybe they just repainted it.
The Lado

5/2/2005 9:03:10 PM
Hey, good review. I am glad you had a good time at the park even though it was like 2 degrees out Sunday. I will let ya know when they are getting close to having the "Looper" open. I know at the moment they will prolly keep it on the trailor this year and find a permanant spot for it next year. I also heard that they have ordered a new motor for it and the sway arms, or bars, are faulty. So, I don't expect it to run till at least mid-June.

The Fandango did run on the second weekend, but we hope to get all the bugs out soon. Along with all the bugs with the Tigers. But anyhow...Area 6 rules!
The Lado

5/2/2005 9:05:22 PM
Nah, the pics. of the Tigers and Fandango are pics. from the companys. Lord knows they will never change the pics. just like they don't change em' on the park brochores. If you look closer at the one picture, the AXIS is still there. ;-)
Cyclonic

5/2/2005 9:57:39 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
I don't know how the hell I didn't run into you on Saturday. I got there an hour before the park opened and left five minutes before ERT on Phoenix ended. I felt the rain coming on and we got to my sister's truck right as it started pouring. I know you tried to call because I saw your cell number on my phone when I got home. I left my phone in NY.

Yeah, I know. I was at the bottom of the exit ramp talking to some folks I know when the rain started coming down. You must have walked right by me and I didn't know it. Oh well. You going to try to come out on May 22?
Hercules

5/2/2005 10:04:13 PM
I am slightly disappointed with the way Fandango looks. That is probably just me though. I was just expecting a little more. It looks kind of something like Morey's Piers would put in. I guess I was expecting something different. Still a good addition though.
larrygator

5/2/2005 10:13:58 PM
I'm going to try to make it back on May 22 and I'll remember my cell phone
primogen18

5/6/2005 10:27:52 AM
I like how they finally broke the whole non-park model thing with both rides, they seem to be set in nicely, so I like how they both look. I also like the custom color scheme and lighting package on Fandango (lights covering all 4 supports) and cant wait to see more pics, or just to go lol. Nice TR/pics as always cyclonic

--------------------
Primogen 18's Page
My Message Boards<My New Art Promotional Domain

Message updated 5/6/2005 1:21:30 PM by primogen18
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics