Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author BGW Tips
MovieCoast

4/17/2005 2:04:10 PM
Hey all! I'm heading for Busch Gardens Williamsburg in less than two months. Any suggestions or tips for me?

How are the lines/capacity?

What's the best place for food?

Will I have a problem getting on everything I want to?

Anything else would be great! Thanks!

Oh yeah, sorry I haven't been here for a long long time!!!

--------------------
"Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

VISIT MY COASTER SITE!!!
http://moviecoastsworld.250free.com

Coaster Count: 46
BobFunland

4/17/2005 3:35:38 PM
The lines moved pretty good. I went on a dead day and they still were running two trains on everything, and well, so I'd imagine that if they had 3 going per ride it would really move.

Trapper's smokehouse back near Alpengeist.

I wouldn't think so unless you take 21 rides on Apollo's like I did

Ride the train, and if you get there before 10:30, ride Nessie first b/c the rest of the park won't be opened.
WAR2174

4/28/2005 1:00:27 PM
I am a self appointed expert on Busch Gardens Williamsburg, so I'll drop some info on you.

First off, the map Busch Gardens Williamsburg
It's from 2003 but not much has changed. Curse of Darkastle is where you see Passport Sales.

Since you will going sometime in June or July it will be hot and packed.
The lines move pretty fast. They will put a third train on the coasters with no problem. Some of the flats tend to take a little bit longer, but they get you on and off pretty fast.

Food is no problem at BGW. Trappers Smokehouse has BBQ in New France, Ristorante della Piazza has excellent Italian food in San Marco, and Das Festhaus in Oktoberfest has good classic German dishes and a huge Black Forest Cherry Cake to die for. A few places sell traditional fare like pizza and burgers. They have drink carts all over the place and a couple of ice cream shops.

You shouldn't have much trouble with getting on everything that you want to. Lines rarely last longer than an hour on the major rides. The longest lines in the summer are usually at Roman Rapids, Escape from Pompeii and Le Scoot(flume ride) for obvious reasons. They are the water rides.

Don't be a tough guy and keep pushing it through the heat. Take in a show to cool down and relax. You will do a ton of walking and the park has some major hills. Also use the train an skyrides to get around when possible.
Have alot of money to buy some stuff. They have alot of unique things to buy, not just your typical theme park crap. Things like swords, handmade porcelain, crystal, and cuckoo clocks. They have alot of games of skill to play and video arcades too. Bring a camera, it is beautiful.

Curse of Darkastle will be new so try to get to it early. Just head straight back right under Loch Ness into Rhinefeld and just keep going north. You can't miss it.

That is all I can think of for now. I will edit if I can think of anything else. Have a good trip!
bresnan

5/31/2005 1:22:34 AM
Could someone please advise if you need more than 1 day in this park.
We are a family of 4 with kids ages 7 ad 10.

Thanks for any replys......
WAR2174

5/31/2005 6:15:38 PM
Busch Gardens is a very popular park and is usually very busy but normally does not need more than one day. I have been many times and we almost always get everything done in one day. The only times we don't is if it rains or something. I have kids(4 and 7) and we have a great time. The lines can go pretty quick compared to other rides like it. I hope this helps you. It is a great park and I hope you have fun. If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them quickly for you.
bresnan

6/1/2005 12:37:57 AM
Quote:
WAR2174 said:
Busch Gardens is a very popular park and is usually very busy but normally does not need more than one day. I have been many times and we almost always get everything done in one day. The only times we don't is if it rains or something. I have kids(4 and 7) and we have a great time. The lines can go pretty quick compared to other rides like it. I hope this helps you. It is a great park and I hope you have fun. If you have any other questions, I will try to answer them quickly for you.

Thanks War2174.......

We are Canadian, there is an on-line Canadian Money at par promotion at BGW.
It works out to $39.00 American Dollars. Pretty good deal.

Is the water park fun as well????
Unfortunatly, no Canadian promotion for Water Country USA.
In your opinion, is the 2 day hopper pass recommended.

One more thing, which restuarants have good food?
Which shows at BGW, do you recommend seeing for my kids age group?
( 7 and 10 )

I'm wondering if a tour of the Naval Base would be something for the kids and / or Virginia Beach?

By the way we are visiting Hershey Park as well.

Thanks again for your reply.

Message updated 6/1/2005 1:13:16 AM by bresnan
larrygator

6/1/2005 12:34:29 PM
The food in the Italian area is excellent as is Trapper's Smokehouse. A little pricey but very good.
WAR2174

6/1/2005 4:23:52 PM
I agree with larrygator that Italy and New France has great food. The park is world famous for it's food. You really can't go wrong anywhere but Ristorante della Piazza and Trapper's Smokehouse are just great.

I do recommend the 2 day hopper pass for Water Country. You don't hear alot about the place but it was voted one of America's best. It is themed to the 50 and 60's surf era and is really cool with lots of stuff for kids.

Busch Gardens has great shows too. The kids will probably rather go on rides but the shows are good for getting out of the heat and getting some rest. Imaginique, Irish Thunder, and especially R.L. Stines Haunted Lighthouse are good for the whole family.

VA Beach is really nice but can get packed to the brim. It is hard to get around down there and find parking. But it is a beautiful beach with lots of fun things to do on the beach front avenue like Haunted houses and mini-golf. Oh, and plenty of shopping.
The Naval Base is huge, but since 9-11 you can't do as much anymore. I got jacked up taking pictures of a nuclear sub and I AM IN THE MILITARY! There were no signs saying it was prohibited and they apologized but I was still mad. Anyway, I would recommend something called Nauticus in downtown Norfolk as opposed to the base.
Click here for Nauticus
It has a ton of interactive stuff, plus the battleship Wisconsin, boat tours of Norfolk Naval Base and a naval museum. It is really cool. And not too expensive.
I hope that helps. Keep the questions coming. This is my hometown area, and I love it. I like when people come from out-of-town. I try to help them have a good time.
Message updated 6/1/2005 4:29:04 PM by WAR2174
bresnan

6/2/2005 1:21:02 AM
Quote:
WAR2174 said:
I agree with larrygator that Italy and New France has great food. The park is world famous for it's food. You really can't go wrong anywhere but Ristorante della Piazza and Trapper's Smokehouse are just great.

I do recommend the 2 day hopper pass for Water Country. You don't hear alot about the place but it was voted one of America's best. It is themed to the 50 and 60's surf era and is really cool with lots of stuff for kids.

Busch Gardens has great shows too. The kids will probably rather go on rides but the shows are good for getting out of the heat and getting some rest. Imaginique, Irish Thunder, and especially R.L. Stines Haunted Lighthouse are good for the whole family.

VA Beach is really nice but can get packed to the brim. It is hard to get around down there and find parking. But it is a beautiful beach with lots of fun things to do on the beach front avenue like Haunted houses and mini-golf. Oh, and plenty of shopping.
The Naval Base is huge, but since 9-11 you can't do as much anymore. I got jacked up taking pictures of a nuclear sub and I AM IN THE MILITARY! There were no signs saying it was prohibited and they apologized but I was still mad. Anyway, I would recommend something called Nauticus in downtown Norfolk as opposed to the base.
Click here for Nauticus
It has a ton of interactive stuff, plus the battleship Wisconsin, boat tours of Norfolk Naval Base and a naval museum. It is really cool. And not too expensive.
I hope that helps. Keep the questions coming. This is my hometown area, and I love it. I like when people come from out-of-town. I try to help them have a good time.

Thanks for the great tips on the food and shows and the water park.....you talked me into getting the hopper pass.

The link for "nauticus" was very interesting, perhaps we will go on the cruise of the naval ships from there. Have you gone on this cruise?....is it worthwhile?
How long of a drive is it from Williamsburg to Norfolk?
and Norfolk to Virginia beach?

Thanks again....you have been very helpful.

bresnan

6/2/2005 1:22:56 AM
Thanks Larrygator

I love to eat....I think I may be in trouble.
Message updated 6/2/2005 1:24:08 AM by bresnan
WAR2174

6/2/2005 5:54:35 PM
I personally believe it is worth it. If any aircraft carriers are in port, you can get some great pictures. It goes around other areas of Hampton Roads Harbor too. The worlds largest BTW(they say that on the tour). Anyway, it can be a pain to go from Williamsburg to Norfolk. You have to go over something called the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. There is a ton of construction going on in the area and once that thing backs up, whew! Hope you have something to read or a portable DVD or something. Hopefully you won't have any problems and if not, it is very easy. Plenty of road signs and directions.
Hampton Roads

Hopefully this helps a little. Just to give you a quick overview of the area. Busch Gardens is near the "0" and downtown Norfolk is the "1". Under normal conditions it is about an hour. Just follow I-64 to the downtown Norfolk access highway.
Message updated 6/2/2005 6:00:07 PM by WAR2174
bresnan

6/2/2005 10:59:00 PM
Quote:
WAR2174 said:
I personally believe it is worth it. If any aircraft carriers are in port, you can get some great pictures. It goes around other areas of Hampton Roads Harbor too. The worlds largest BTW(they say that on the tour). Anyway, it can be a pain to go from Williamsburg to Norfolk. You have to go over something called the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. There is a ton of construction going on in the area and once that thing backs up, whew! Hope you have something to read or a portable DVD or something. Hopefully you won't have any problems and if not, it is very easy. Plenty of road signs and directions.
Hampton Roads

Hopefully this helps a little. Just to give you a quick overview of the area. Busch Gardens is near the "0" and downtown Norfolk is the "1". Under normal conditions it is about an hour. Just follow I-64 to the downtown Norfolk access highway.

Thanks again.

By the way.....great web site for maps.
Just made that one a favorite.

Ok, considering the traffic for Norfolk and Virginia Beach.
If we choose to stay in Williamsburg.....Once Busch Gardens is done what else do you suggest we do there with the kids.....

WAR2174

6/3/2005 4:57:12 PM
Well, like was said before there is Water Country USA. The Williamsburg area is very historical. Yorktown(where the Revolutionary War ended) and Jamestown(where the first explorers landed in America to create a settlement) are both right there. I am a big history buff so I love that stuff, but I guess kids really don't.
Hampton has a cool Air & Space Museum that has lots of interactive stuff and displays. No question that the bulk of the fun stuff is on the "Southside", which is Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I'll give you some links so you can have a better idea of what is in the area.

Colonial Williamsburg

Virginia Air & Space Center

VA Beach

BGW

On the BGW site if you click under "Ticket Options" you will see Multi Day. There are some interesting deals that include passes to attractions all around the area.

I found this site. It has a good map showing alternate routes and has some phone numbers you can call while in the area to get updates on the roads and tunnels.

VA Department of Transportation
Message updated 6/3/2005 5:04:43 PM by WAR2174
bresnan

6/5/2005 10:51:15 PM
Quote:
WAR2174 said:
Well, like was said before there is Water Country USA. The Williamsburg area is very historical. Yorktown(where the Revolutionary War ended) and Jamestown(where the first explorers landed in America to create a settlement) are both right there. I am a big history buff so I love that stuff, but I guess kids really don't.
Hampton has a cool Air & Space Museum that has lots of interactive stuff and displays. No question that the bulk of the fun stuff is on the "Southside", which is Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I'll give you some links so you can have a better idea of what is in the area.

Colonial Williamsburg

Virginia Air & Space Center

VA Beach

BGW

On the BGW site if you click under "Ticket Options" you will see Multi Day. There are some interesting deals that include passes to attractions all around the area.

I found this site. It has a good map showing alternate routes and has some phone numbers you can call while in the area to get updates on the roads and tunnels.

VA Department of Transportation

bresnan

6/5/2005 10:55:35 PM
Thanks War2174.....

You're the best.....
The links are excellent, I have some homework to do.
Did you ever think you might want to get into the travel tourism business????
Thanks again...
Message updated 6/5/2005 10:56:19 PM by bresnan
WAR2174

6/8/2005 2:01:59 PM
Hey, not a problem. I love to travel, maybe that would be something to look into.

If you have any other questions, I'll be around. I really hope you have a great trip.
bresnan

6/8/2005 10:17:27 PM
Quote:
WAR2174 said:
Hey, not a problem. I love to travel, maybe that would be something to look into.

If you have any other questions, I'll be around. I really hope you have a great trip.

Ok War2174....one last thing

Have you or your kids been to any shows like "cry witch" or other walking tours.....any recommended for the young kids.
Thanks
WAR2174

6/11/2005 2:24:18 PM
We haven't done the "Cry witch" but I have heard it is interesting. I have done "Legends, Ghosts, Mysteries, ans Myths" and "In Defense of our Liberty". They were very interesting, and really take you back to those days. The place seems really only for older folks, but in they really like to get kids involved of all ages. They are alot of interactive things to do. And there are some nice shops there. like an awesome candy store and the College of William & Mary bookstore.
WAR2174

6/11/2005 2:27:02 PM
Yorktown

Jamestown and Yorktown

Here are a couple of sites for the area as well. Something to consider, they are seperated by just a few miles and to get between them you travel on the Colonial Parkway. I beautiful road, paved in stone.

The area is really gearing up because in 2007 is the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown landing. They also just go done filming a new movie for next year "The New World" with Christian Bale and Colin Ferrel.

Presidents Park
This is a pretty new park about the presidents.

You can make a complete vacation in the area and be busy the whole time. You can pick and choose things that fit your budget. I really think it is a nice area.
Message updated 6/11/2005 2:45:01 PM by WAR2174
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics