Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Author I think this is the year
mrceagle

4/1/2005 12:43:17 PM
My problem is like Florida Syndrome. NE has a large colection of parks. many of theme are includign themes or themed area. after spendign my life going to parks with well themed areas like canobie and Story land. I expect more from SFI.

also my first SF park was SFOG which has some great themeing. so when I see parks I'm verry judgmental.

But SFGADv looks great in Bobs pics. so dose SFOG.
BobFunland

4/1/2005 1:08:21 PM
I've never been to Great Adventure, yet alone photographed it. Perhaps you are talking about Cyclonic

Also, could you give us a link to a well-themed area from Canobie. From everything I've ever seen, it looks like a classic amusement park that offers very little theming (though the park does look fairly well groomed, but I dont think thats what you meant)

tacoking

4/1/2005 3:23:13 PM
I don't know, aside from some of the coasters SFGADv doesn't even look like a great park. I guess after hearing some of the stories I have heard, that doesn't help. I do like the changes the park seems to be making, and I hope they continue...not crap out over a year or so like past times.

Oh, and Nitro looks sweet.
BobFunland

4/1/2005 4:24:47 PM
Have you seen the photos from Cyclonic? I was actually suprised, it looks like a fairly nice park, certainly better than what I thought

--------------------
My Online Photo Gallery with 706 photos and counting as I dig up my CD's from last summer.
My Coaster Record thanks to coastercounter.com, which is a great site. Currently, I am re-doing my site a bit, making it look nice, but it will be back soon enough.

Total Mind Bender rides: 612 2005 Mind Bender rides: 0 (Mind Bender, I need you back!)
ibluv

4/1/2005 4:30:56 PM
SFNE has never been a great park, not even before SF bought it. But who knows? I plan on going there at least once this year, and if there aren't any brawls in the parking lot and if I can walk 5 feet without stepping in a puddle of vomit I'll buy a season pass next year.

--------------------
"You may be right. I may be crazy. But it just may be a loooonatic you´re lookin' for"

-Billy Joel
Message updated 4/1/2005 4:31:22 PM by ibluv
Red Rascal

4/1/2005 4:31:02 PM
Great Adventure, I think, is a very good park that's worthy of having the title as Six Flag's flagship park, and it seems to be improving every year.

--------------------
~ Coaster Count: 107 ~

What's life if you never get to the Point?
mrceagle

4/1/2005 6:17:38 PM
This link shows the south end also known as Ye old Canobie Vilage. Basicly it's the parks Weastern are and first attempt at a themes area.
this link shows mostly the weastern area from teh ferris wheel.

Canobie's new Clam Shack inte Boston themed area
mrceagle

4/1/2005 6:35:35 PM
Here are some shots from the boston area. you can also see the slight Italian themed area. at least thats were they area headed. The portifino's Restorant, dance hall theater, and rides. Major ride DiVinci's Dream

Canobie lake park photos.
Message updated 4/1/2005 6:41:23 PM by mrceagle
BobFunland

4/3/2005 11:56:22 AM
mrc, that doesn't look any better than Astroworld or Magic Mountain, but hey, at least the themeing lokks better than Darien Lake. Bottom line:

Quote:
My problem is like Florida Syndrome. NE has a large colection of parks. many of theme are includign themes or themed area. after spendign my life going to parks with well themed areas like canobie and Story land. I expect more from SFI.

Canobie shouldn't have "spoiled" you, its not that fantastic either, at least to me
Cyclonic

4/3/2005 5:34:09 PM
Canobie is not fantasitcly themed at all. The Boston area is based around one ride, the Boston Tea Party. It looks nice, but is not at all large. This is just about the extent of it:

The Western section is a little more extensive, but still not that impressive or emersive.

And there is no Italian section that I could tell.

SFNE has better theming then Canobie, by far. There is nothing wrong with that, Canobie is simply a traditional amusement park, and it is very nice and well kept, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is a theme park.
BobFunland

4/3/2005 11:34:48 PM
Which looks nice, as good as Six Flags Over Georgia's Lickskillet section:

But still, its not extraordinary, and nothing to put SFOG, or Great Adventure for that matter, to shame. Again, only Darien Lake was really lacking substantial themeing.
Message updated 4/3/2005 11:35:29 PM by BobFunland
larrygator

4/5/2005 11:32:27 PM
To get back to the topic, will SF turn it around this year. I just got back from St. Louis and spent 4 hours at SFStL. I got to the park 35 minutes early. I've never been to a park this early so I don't know if whay I'm about to say is typical or not.

I was sitting on a bench ourside the park 30 minutes before the park opened and the manager made an announcemnet to the employees over the loudspeaker that went something like this.

He reminded everybody that it is not just the rides that make a park enjoyable and reminded all employees of their importance in the park experience. He reminded everybody that there would be a lot of out-of-towners with The Final Four in town and to be extra helpful if guests looked confused looking for a ride.

FYI - I had a great 4 hours in the park.

BobFunland

4/5/2005 11:35:23 PM
First complaint for me... today, half of the garbage bins were overflowing in the parking lot, but they were the ones fairly far away, so I'm a bit more lenient.. but still, I hope this doesnt continue. The park was also packed today, so that was good, and too bad there were bunches of rides down including the only ride I went there to ride
mrceagle

4/7/2005 1:02:24 PM
I didn't say it spoild me I jsut udes their themign as an example. I find canobies weastern are beter then SFNE.and the boaston area is beter then the 50's area at SFNE.

before goign to sfne I had been to Disney, SFOG, BGW, and local Themed parks like Santa's village and Story land. they jsut put more effert into their parks then SFNE seems to.

not the italian area is more of an internal joke. but somthign thei=ya re lookign to do. the DiVini's dream and soroundign rides are all conected in look. the portifino restorant was their long before the the rides.

here are a couple more shots of the boston area
Gift shop and splash
Boston area from other side

main mid way
acros games
main arcade
coaster chase, next to cannonball
BobFunland

4/7/2005 3:42:20 PM
Though there are virtually no photos of general park scenes that I can find, Astroworld looked as good if not better than that.

I dont see where Canobie is all that superior to photos like this and this. I think Cyclonic nailed it on the head when he said that Canobie is a very good amusement park, but nothing to brag about when it comes to theming (am I right?)
mrceagle

4/8/2005 11:59:33 PM
Nether is SFNE and they call themselfs a theme park.

That photo of the 50's area has no propertys that make it look like a 50's area. in fact hat intire area looks more like it's origanal 30's area is was before.

I'm not sayign canobie is a theme park. but with Boston and the weastern area they seem to have put as much is not more effert into the area

also liek I said above look at all the real theme parks I went to before going back to riverside as SFNE. also to of their clamed themed areas were already at the park before Premeir. that added Crackazle which is the best themed area in the park. and then added the DC area when they slaged the park.
coasterwom

5/21/2006 3:15:56 AM
I visited Six Flags Maryland this summer and I liked it very much. It was my first time at this park and I really enjoyed the coaster lineup. I plan on buying a season pass next year and going to SF Lake George and SFNE. I hope these parks are just as nice.
BobFunland

5/21/2006 11:33:47 AM
Thanks for a meaningless bump that reminded me how I NAILED that one. It certainly was a turnaround year for SFI

--------------------
Google Search TPC BEFORE you create that new thread
Page [ 2 of 2 ] 1  [ 2 ]
Clicky Web Analytics