Home > Forums > Critics Coaster Discussion > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Author Diffrences between the sixflags and paramont chain
THE DARK K

2/23/2005 9:39:06 PM
What are the diffrences and similarites between the sixflags and paramont chains? Which chain is better operated? I would like to hear some of yalls opinions.
coaster05

2/23/2005 9:42:34 PM
Paramount on the whole is better operated but Six Flags is a lot larger and also has some real gems, of course they have some really, really bad parks.

I have only been to Kings Island so my experience is limited, but taking that with what I've heard most on this site will probably be with me.
coaster05

2/23/2005 9:42:48 PM
Paramount on the whole is better operated but Six Flags is a lot larger and also has some real gems, of course they have some really, really bad parks.

I have only been to Kings Island so my experience is limited, but taking that with what I've heard most on this site will probably be with me.
coaster05

2/23/2005 9:43:45 PM
hey my first ever double post and I have no idea why. sorry
larrygator

2/23/2005 11:13:58 PM
For the most part Paramount runs their flats much better, has better customer service, better food and less downtime on their coasters. Six Flags has more water rides and more volume of rides. Of course there are exceptions, I love the flats at Six Flags La Ronde. This is based on the 3 Paramount and 10 Six Flags parks I've been to.
Hercules

2/24/2005 1:17:41 PM
I could go on for hours about this subject, but I don't think that I will waste my time with it. I will say that I believe that Paramount is a much better run organization.

However I will say something about the last post. I don't really think that it is a valid argument in saying that Paramount has "more ride that matter" in terms of records. Off the top of my head for Six Flags I can think of them having the first inverted coaster (Batman the Ride), the first floorless (Medusa), whatever you want to classify Superman the Escape when it was something of importance, Nitro was the tallest coaster on the east coast until now since Kingda Ka is being built and is the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world. Those are just a few that I can think of now, but I am sure there are more. I can say that Paramount is probably more imaginative and creative and take more time to plan out and design their rides than what Six Flags does with their rides, considering that there are a lot of clones out there in that chain.

However, very nice post ilovepugs.
MagnumMan

2/24/2005 8:16:13 PM
Well, simply, I think Paramount Parks provide the better experience while Six Flags provides visitors with more rides (all of which, obvious or not to SFI, to a degree, make up for the experience, or lack therof, that nearly all Six Flags parks dissapoint in). This is my opinion, having gone to Kings Island and 5 Six Flags parks.

Keep in mind, when I say "more" rides, I am referring to both the high and low quality rides that occupy Six Flags parks. A lot of SF rides are off the shelf, headbanger rides that you can find at nearly EVERY SINGLE park in the chain ("SLC", anyone? How bout' a "Boomerang"?) or, in some cases, even at your local fair. Plus, except for the major additions (coasters, record breakers, firsts or rides that were purposely made to be centered around an accompying theme), most of those rides seem to have moderate to no theming. Six Flags still calls themself a "theme park" though...???...This, to a degree, takes away from the park experience. No one wants to stand in the hot sun without any type of sufficiant covering, air conditioning/misting fans, ambiance etc. While Paramount Kings Island mastered (apart from Son of Beast) the art of using buildings, trees and various objects to keep cool or, at least, provide another focal point other than the cement walkways of their queue, Six Flags has not and is very irratic in the way they design their queues. While some appear to be created in order FOR you to roast, others do make you comfortable. And, while I am there to have fun and ride coasters until the sun sets, I DO want to be comforable doing it.

Another difference is, obviously, since Paramount IS a movie studio, they keep up with the movies they release and find those that can be made into an attraction (The Italian Job, Tomb Raider etc). With that, there is an imperitive need for theming and Paramount does a great job with doing so. They aren't Disney and they don't ever aim to be Disney which makes it acceptible by me. At least they try...and the results were good at Kings Island...

I can't actually think of very many similarities because they run their parks very differently. They almost constrast each other. The only similarity I can think of that the food in both parks is simply "OK", with Cedar Point/Cedar Fair easily blowing both of them out of the water, for me at least. Other than that, they really are 2 different parks. I can say, though, that while I loved the PKI experience, it did get a little boring after a while. After you visit a few Six Flags parks, it's a little weird to go to a park that is not all nonstop action and, maybe, that's why I haven't been back. PKI was a little slower and more spread out, giving you time to enjoy everything that is the park in contrast to just the rides. Because of this, Paramount is superior.
Message updated 2/24/2005 8:46:19 PM by MagnumMan
battleflag

2/24/2005 8:35:55 PM
um.... none of ya'll said welcome to the new member . Welcome THE DARK K
THE DARK K

2/24/2005 9:23:57 PM
^^THANK YOU , glad to finaly join a site with people that share my same love for theme parks.
battleflag

2/24/2005 9:43:05 PM
your welcome , everyone on here is cool and i hope you have fun posting and reviewing
BobFunland

2/24/2005 9:43:16 PM
Are you the one that joined SFOGnet too? Just wondering... Well, welcome here to TPC! May I entice you to write some reviews :upto:
THE DARK K

2/24/2005 11:14:28 PM
^^^ yes, i am the same person who joined the sfognet also. Good people are over there too.
Scott

2/24/2005 11:56:42 PM
Quote:
THE DARK K said:
What are the diffrences and similarites between the sixflags and paramont chains? Which chain is better operated? I would like to hear some of yalls opinions.
Welcome to the site Okay, here's some of the differences. #1 = SF clones everything. Everything. Even worse is that they have no theming on their rides. SF takes terrible care of their woodies (most are rough and rotting away) SF has terrible employees. Half of the rides at SF are rarely even open.

#2 = Paramount = They do a reasonable job theming their coasters and don't clone to much. The employees treat you with respect. The woodies are in good condition.

So, I had a much better time at Paramount then SF. There are a few parks that SF keeps up. SFOG (SF over Georgia) and (SFOT) Besides that most stink. Like SFAW or SFMM. It's not that the coasters are bad, but the overall atmosphere. So I'd suggest going to paramount parks.

Oh, It sounds like you've been to a couple of good parks, (SFOG) So I'd suggest you write a review. thanks.

--------------------
I hear people talking about the "Good Old Days" and how they miss them. Well, "The Good Old Days" were never really considered the good old days until they were gone. So, it makes me wonder... is it the good old days now?
Written inside The Tower of Terror, one of the greatest rides ever!
coaster05

2/25/2005 7:18:10 AM
SFGAM is also a goo dexample of a SF park. Their woodens are both in good shape.
Scott

2/25/2005 9:32:08 AM
But psyclone at SFMM and Rolling Thunder killed my respect towards six flags and their woodies. Astroworld was terrible. Half of their rides were closed, the other half stunk
larrygator

2/25/2005 10:59:04 AM
Quote:
Scott Hot said:
But psyclone at SFMM and Rolling Thunder killed my respect towards six flags and their woodies. Astroworld was terrible. Half of their rides were closed, the other half stunk

Since SFMM and SFGAdv are the two largest SF parks that is a lot of people's impressions of SF wood. SF does have other good wood outside of SFGAm. Roar and Wild One at SFA, Comet at Great Escape, Georgia Cyclone (and GASM) at SFoG, Thunder Run at SFKK. Le Monstre (La Ronde), Cyclone (SFNE), Predator (SFDL) could all be better but aren't due to operations or neutering.

--------------------
Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house".
MagnumMan

2/25/2005 12:18:20 PM
Predator is absolute murder...that's all I have to say...and there are very few people that will tell you different. It's so sad because that coaster used to be tolerable before Darien Lake was bought by Six Flags. Now it's torture.
BobFunland

2/25/2005 1:12:01 PM
Quote:
larrygator said:
... (and GASM) at SFoG...

Good pick Larry

--------------------

Let's make it back...
coaster05

2/25/2005 3:45:55 PM
Viper at SFGAM is an excellent woodie. Plus two already mentioned from over georgia.
Animan1

2/25/2005 4:30:31 PM
Paramount parks are, in general, better themed and lesser known by the GP. I have only been to 1 Paramount park (KI), and that almost 10 years ago, so I don't remember it very well. Meanwhile, I have been to 3 Six Flags parks (GAm, MM, & St.L), all of which I thought were good, if not great, parks. In general, I belive Six Flags parks are better known, more numerous, and bare minimum when it comes to theming and atmosphere. However, if you know this going into the experience, it's not a detriment.

Overall, if you're just looking for thrills, go with SF. If you're looking for a more satisfying overall experience, go for Paramount. However, the argument that both chains can be bested at their own game can be made, with the Busch/Disney/Universal parks getting the nod over Paramount, and CF beating SF for quality.

BobFunland

2/25/2005 5:51:42 PM
Quote:
Animan1 said:
Paramount parks are, in general, better themed and lesser known by the GP. I have only been to 1 Paramount park (KI), and that almost 10 years ago, so I don't remember it very well. Meanwhile, I have been to 3 Six Flags parks (GAm, MM, & St.L), all of which I thought were good, if not great, parks. In general, I belive Six Flags parks are better known, more numerous, and bare minimum when it comes to theming and atmosphere. However, if you know this going into the experience, it's not a detriment.

I disagree with you on some of those points. First, from my very limited (basically negligible since it was too long ago) experience with Paramount, and through photos I've seen over the years, Paramount parks are amusement parks with very little themeing, much like your typical SF. Also, I don't think that either chain is more "well known" than the other. If I were to ask someone down here if they have heard of Paramount's Great America or Six Flags Marine World (same area for QC) they probably wouldn't know either. If I asked if thye know of SFOG or Carowinds, they have probably heard of both. It's all a regional thing, neither chan has parks with a national repuation (meaning known by a lot of folks everywhere), especially not on the level of the Florida parks, or places like BGW, KBF, CP, HP etc...

larrygator

2/25/2005 11:39:31 PM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
Good pick Larry

You know I put that in their just for you
BobFunland

2/26/2005 12:03:38 AM
Quote:
larrygator said:
You know I put that in their just for you

I figured that.. .. you wouldn't say that under oath, now would you?
Animan1

2/26/2005 8:57:16 AM
Quote:
BobFunland said:
I disagree with you on some of those points. First, from my very limited (basically negligible since it was too long ago) experience with Paramount, and through photos I've seen over the years, Paramount parks are amusement parks with very little themeing, much like your typical SF. Also, I don't think that either chain is more "well known" than the other. If I were to ask someone down here if they have heard of Paramount's Great America or Six Flags Marine World (same area for QC) they probably wouldn't know either. If I asked if thye know of SFOG or Carowinds, they have probably heard of both. It's all a regional thing, neither chan has parks with a national repuation (meaning known by a lot of folks everywhere), especially not on the level of the Florida parks, or places like BGW, KBF, CP, HP etc...

Hmm, you bring up some interesting points. From what I remember of Paramount, they created a bit more atmosphere than SF, especially on rides like Top Gun. However, you also have to think about how SFGAm themed RB, and MM themed RR, so good point. About the regional thing, I agree with you there too. I don't have any Paramount parks near me, so if were to ask someone if they knew about SFGAm compared to PKI, it would be a biased answer. Thanks for the input.
3r1c

2/26/2005 10:37:57 AM
While I've only visited one Six Flags park and one Paramount park, each were supposed to be either the best or second best in the chain. Paramount was a great park which was top-notch in most areas while the only edge Six Flags has against Paramount is the ride quantity. Even so, Paramount offers unique attractions (Volcano, Hypersonic, the new PKI and PCW coasters, etc.)
coaster05

2/26/2005 10:54:33 AM
I do feel paramount is better themed but again as a whole. SF just has such a wide varience in quality that it is hard to compare. They are probably dead even if you only take the top5 SF parks since I think there are only 5 paramount parks.
bb_dg

2/27/2005 1:20:37 PM
ive been to PKD on the paramount side and SFGAdv, SFNE, SFA, SFWoA (GL now) on the six flags side. i have found that six flags, in general, has better coasters than paramount but paramount is better maintained and has a great PR department. otherwise, i think they are extremely similar.
Animan1

2/28/2005 4:43:49 PM
Good points, and nice to see you again, bb_dg.
ABR

3/1/2005 11:05:19 PM
Well, there are two local parks around here, one a Paramount, one a Six Flags. So here's a little comparison:
[Kings Dominion vs Six Flags America]
Rides
I think Kings Dominion wins here. The absolute only thing that Six Flags has over them is a hyper. (P=1)
Prices
Season Pass= Six Flags (see next section however)
SFA: Season Pass $49.99 (price I paid) + $30 parking= $79.99. Kings: Season Pass $84.99 + $16 parking pass + $8 non-refundable parking fee on first visit (six flags refunds this) = $108.99
Day Admission= Kings Dominion (I believe it's a little less than SFA's $42, and the parking is $2 less)
Bang for your buck
As stated above, I feel the better value season pass is at Six Flags. However, does paramount offer better benefits?
One obvious perk with any theme parks season pass, is free visits to sister parks. Six Flags wins here (there's more of them). But Paramount, with it's $29 mark up on a season pass also offers some good stuff. Like: a special line for season pass holders on Wednesdays on the most popular rides (shorter wait times), early entry to the park to get a free 'no wait' ride on your favorite attraction.
I guess this is like comparing Wal-Mart to Neiman Marcus. They offer essentially the same thing (clothes) but if you pay more, you get more. Score for last 2 sections P=1, SF= 1.
Maintenance
Although not 100%, Paramount wins here. I see some rides at Kings Dominion that have been around for literally decades, and get no major upgrades. Six flags upgraded it's oldest coaster a few years ago. But as for basic maintenance........ PARAMOUNT PARAMOUNT PARAMOUNT. On a few attractions at Six Flags (Joker's Jinx, Roar, Mind Eraser) there are seats that just plain old, don't work. And therefore the rides cannot accomidate as many people as they should. (Tie: P= .75 SF= .25)
Customer Service
Paramount. Without a doubt. There have been days when it's not too crowded at Six Flags, but the waits for either Batwing or Superman are 45 minutes because they are only running one train. Paramount ALWAYS has a second (or 3rd) train. (P=1)
Themeing
PARAMOUNT PARAMOUNT PARAMOUNT. When batwing was built at Six Flags, it was isolated (and 4 years later... STILL IS, LOL) on your walk there, you see swamps, dirt roads and unmowed grass. It was so well themed up until they added Superman. Kings Dominion has heavily themed rides, like Volcano and flight of Fear. (P=1)
Crowds
This one is a tie. While Kings Dominion certainly packs in a lot more, it's got a lot more. You can always walk on to the woodies, and anaconda. But the "novelty" coasters (flight of Fear, Volcano, Hypersonic) can have you waiting an hour or more. I remember when Flight of Fear opened, 1.5 hours was GOOD! Same with Volcano and Hypersonic.
At Six Flags, I don't think I've ever waited more than an hour for anything. Rides like Mind Eraser (an invert), Joker's Jinx (a launched looper), and the woodies are almost always walk ons. (P= .5, SF= .5)

So, our final score:
Paramount 5.25
Six Flags 1.75
Animan1

3/2/2005 3:22:51 PM
Wow, nice in-depth job done there. ^
Page [ 1 of 2 ] [ 1 ] 2 
Clicky Web Analytics