Home > Forums > Trip Reports and Tips > View Topic
( Moderators: ThmPrkCrtc, BobFunland, adriahna )
Hop Forums:
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Author TR Hershey and South of the Border
Twirlnhurl

8/1/2002 5:25:00 PM
The reason I was gone for the last week was because I was on a trip to see my uncles compete in the IronMan Lake Placid. I went on 9 new coasters on the trip in the first two days.
Day One
At midday we stoped at South of the Border, you know, that tacky tourist trap? Well, they have a Wild Mouse. It was a tuesday at 2:30 in the afternoon, so no one was there. We asked the person at the ticketbooth if the Mouse was open. It was, well sorta. We were then asked if we were the people who wanted to ride the mouse, "yes", and he turned on the lifthill just for us, how special. We boarded the car, my uncle sat in the back and I sat in the front. I sat on the wrong side of the car for the laterals above ground, I was on the inside so I only got good "Im going to fall out" laterals ovet the lifthill. The layout was simple, zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, zig zag, drop rise ect. The rating on a 1-5 scale, 5 being the greatest, this ride gets a 2. The main reason was the small trim brake on the zig zags, the super strong brakes at the end that uccor during the small pop of airtime and the $3 cost.

Day Two
On day one we continued northward all the way to Hershey Pensylvania. We arived late at night and as it turned out, right after the people leaving the park found hotels. Their were only two hotels on the exit that had rooms. Let me clarify, they each had one room. Both the Holiday Inn Express and the Hilton charged $170 and after finding out that the hilton had a bigger room with a pullout bed and discounted tickets to the park we chose it. The next day we left for HersheyPark and got their at 9:30. The park didnt open untill 10, the rides at 10:30. We ride the Chocolate Making dark ride and then got in the park. The first thing of the day was The Great Bear, I figured that it would be good to start their because it is in the somewhat back of the park. I was on the secont car, first train of the day at 10:15, 15 minutes before it was supposed to open. The ride is fairly decent, its layout is, lifthill, helix, 140ft drop, loop, imalman, in line twist, hill, corkscrew, s-turn, on ride photo, brake. The ride gets a rating of 4 because, although its smooth, its also short.
The next ride of the day is Superdooper Looper, a early Schwartzkoph looper. This ride is Revolution's (SFMM)sister ride. We walked on it and were on one of its first train also. The ride has reasonabley comfortable seats with only a seat belt and lapbar. The layout goes somthing like this, lifthill, drop, loop, high turn (With trim brakes that follow the tracks curveature), threading the loop is another turn, a series of s-turning hills follow with a helix fanily. I rate this tide a 3 because, although the loop is intense, the rest is trimmed and sluggish. It is still a fun ride that would be a great first looper.
After the Looper, we headed to the other side of the park to the Wildcat, GCI's first coaster. After going through the long empty queue, you board a standard PTC train and drop out of the station. The rest of the layout includes a INCREDIBLE first drop and lots of laterals, airtime and surprises. This ride gets an enthusiastic 5 for a unpredictable layout, great airtime and a small amount of roughness to add character.
Following GCI's masterpeice, I went on lightning racers, GCI's first coaster to use Millenium Flyer trains. Thease trains are great, they have plenty of legroom and no headrest. The layouts are almost identical, wich is why I only count this ride as one. Both rides go around a 240 degree turn followed by stagered lifthills. They both have a great turning drop that splits the sides apart for a high speed turnaround into a tunnel that convieniantly has the on ride photo. Thgen the sides split up for a duel that goes a bit to slow for my taste. Then comes the crossovers that dont add much because you can hardly tell the other train was there. Then another too slow duel followed by fun side by side airtime. Thios is my favorite pa
Cyclonic

8/1/2002 7:09:00 PM
I am glad to hear you had a good time, I haven't been to Hershey Park in several years, though I drive by all the time. Did you ride the new coaster, the Roller Soaker? I hear as a coaster it is OK, but it is supposed to be a lot of fun

One travel tip, always take a tent on a road trip. If you can't find a hotel, there is usually a campground close by, and sites are cheap. Hershey has one not a mile from the park.

Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw!

Twirlnhurl

8/1/2002 11:26:00 PM
No. I didnt bother. Im not a fan of water rides and RollerSoaker dosent look thrilling enough to merrit the wetness.
Page [ 1 of 1 ] [ 1 ]
Clicky Web Analytics